SOOOOOO Very Stuck>>>>

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

Babyshark

Good day brothers and sisters....
First an introduction, I am a 22 year old guy from South Africa. I was raised in a very Christian home with rock solid principles and morals. I experienced God's power in my life in Matric (That's 12th Grade) and I was firm in my belief, but being far from home for my University years, I had backslid sooooooo far off course and it is STILL a battle for me to get back to how I was before, though I am trying.

Now to the crux of the matter. Like I said, I am 22 and I am basically in a relationship with an 18 year old girl who had twins in September 2011. The father has been absent from their lives for nearly 4 months now, and I love the twins so very much, I feel as though they are mine. I am now faced with the following challenges:

The father portrays an image of a devout Christian, he is adamant that God is his Savior and that he is living his life in such righteousness and faultlessness. God, forgive me for being judgmental of him, but I think that this is hypocritical. Am i wrong in saying that? Am I wrong for assuming a devout, Christian father should be the one to help raise, discipline guide his children to the ways of God? I know that not all relationships work out, but at the same time, should he not play a role? For the sake of his own soul and the souls of his children?

The second issue is the mother. Her and I have a history, in that we were meant to be be together a while ago, and things did not work out at the time, but recently, they have been working quite well. She sees me as a father figure to the kids. I love children and I am still a Virgin, and I have so many questions... I ask myself, will I be what these children need, being as young as I am, what about all the things I still wanted to do with my life? Do I forget my dreams and goals? What happens if things get serious, and we get married and have a child of our own? Will I still love the twins as much as I love my child? Will the mother share the excitement of the pregnancy, and the concept of becoming a parent with me because it isn't her first child? It is so very confusing! And frustrating. And to add insult to injury, I have spent time with the children, and pictures have been added to facebook, the father told the mother today "if that guy refers to the kids as if they are his, I am out" and the mother said to him "well, he loves the children the way you never have" ..... now I dunno, did I overstep some boundary? What can i do? because I feel trapped. I feel that now that the father is leaving the picture, I am going to HAVE to be the new father figure, I am going to HAVE to take that place in their lives, and I personally am not sure if I am ready for that, yet at the same time, I cant shake the feeling that I am here, in this situation for a particular purpose. It is all so daunting and I have tried praying about it, but I don't seem to be getting any answers, and because all these complications, I am beginning to question my love for this girl. i search for relationships where you GROW together, Spiritually, Emotionally and Physically, yet in this situation, I feel she has grown, and I need to rush to grow up to match her?

Lastly, I have an issue with my mother. She is a formidable woman who has been married to my father for 16 years. My father was married before and has 3 children from that marriage, and at the time of his divorce, the children saw my mother as the woman that broke up their home (which I assume is natural when children are that age and do not understand the dynamics of relationships). The men in my family have a history of promiscuity and sleeping around, so there is a possibility I have siblings I'm not even aware of. Now, taking this into account, my mother stayed married to my father. There were times when it was BAD between them, to the point of near divorce, with a lot of drama. Now my mother is SERIOUSLY against me pursuing a relationship with this girl, as she is afraid that the same drama that followed her all these years will be repeated in my relationship. I love my parents, and I want to uphold God's commandment of honouring my parents. Is it possible for me to still honour them, yet pursue a relationship I know my mother is against?

Please help, I would appreciate any and all insight.

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Wow, you do have a lot going on. It's a very complicated situation so I see why you're wondering what to do.

First of all, you need peace and quiet and time spent with God in His Word to sort all of this out. Don't do anything quickly. Pray for direction and calmness.

I think the main question is -do you love this woman as God commands a husband to love a wife? Not whether you want to parent the twins, or win your mother's approval.

I think the biological father's response is extremely selfish. He doesn't want to fulfill the role of husband and father and resents someone else stepping in....I wouldn't worry too much about what he thinks.

Your mother may be viewing things in the perspective of her own past. So her views are biased.

Does your girlfriend love you like God expects a wife to love her husband? I think you should concentrate on figuring out your relationship with her first and foremost :)

B

Babyshark

Wow Lucy thanks for the insight, it was very helpful. Do you perhaps have some scripture on how I should love a wife, I think maybe I am lost on that one, maybe I love the twins more than their mother, maybe I need to just get back to basics and see where I stand.

Thank you again!

S

Strong1

Hi friend,
Your situation is very tricky as you have stated. Love is a funny thing!
You know, I realize how God must feel at times when we are disobedient. His plans for us are so perfect, and when we go out of the way to selfishly fullfill our own desires, we end up in these kinds of situations, now asking God for his help undoing what he never purposed for us, in the first place! Be very patient while God puts back together the broken pieces of your life.
You said you have history with this girl,and you were meant for each other, but obviously she complicated the situation bringing into the world children outside of marriage. That's your first dilema.
See the thing is , if this guy has been out of the children's lives for 4 months now, it's not enough to disqualify his status as father. I know you may not want to hear this, but it's true. They entered into a covenant together as parents, and they must honour this. It is a challenge in itself to work out these types of mistake, when your so young and have no business parenting. Personally, I htink YOU are complicating the situation. You are not the kids father. He has a right to be there. So if he's lost his way now(Which most young fathers do) , what happens when he comes to his senses, tomorrow? They are overwhelmed right now! You need to think about that.
Your so young, you have a lot of other things to concern yourself with at this time. You may love her, and that's okay. Begin to ask God, if she is really your bride then He will begin the process of bringing her back to you. My friend? This may take a while, but it is not fair to impose yourself into the mess they made without giving them a chance to make it right? Right in God's eyes, not yours. Especially for the kids sake.
do "you" right now. Your still in a good position, don't put on yourself anything that does not belong to you, in the name of LOVE. Let God give you what belongs to you, and that means to BE STILL AND KNOW THAT HE IS GOD!
All what is for you will be yours, in the fullness of time.
I think your mother is right this time, but for reasons that you are probably not wanting to look at. the heart wants what it wants, but not always whats best. Yet God knows what is best. Trust him.
You are a virgin. I commend you for this. I would like to encourage you to just be this girls friend. Not her boyfriend. Be there for her anyway you can. treat those kids with respect, and show them what a Godly man looks like. Above all, learn from all of this. If you stay around right now, to prove something to this man, your going to fall. Hard. And you may never recover. Stay in the safe zone. Friendship is safe, and can blossom into more if and when God says, Okay. Give the situation a chance to unfold, and be ready for the reality of it. My prayers are with you.

B

Babyshark

Strong1 That post really hit home, and you have a very good point. I never thought that I may be the cause of the problems... Thank you again.

Jul 25, 2005
Wow. Too many variables here. I'd stay out of it.

Feb 16, 2011
The man should support his family or he is worse than an unbeliever according to the Bible, 1 Timothy 5:8 "But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel." So you are not wrong to suspect the father is doing wrong as a Christian. You should also consider if your girlfriend is Christian. The Bible is against Christians marrying unbelievers. It says, "Be not unevenly yoked with unbelievers." Yoked means doing things together. If she was married before you should not marry a divorced woman Matthew 5:31-32. You need to consider these things so that your first marriage is your last marriage.

B

Babyshark

Thank you all so much for all the replies, they have helped a lot!