Southern Baptist Losing Thousands of Members

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

NightTwister

Jul 5, 2023
Colorado, USA
I get the joke now....
My wife says I'm a little slow...and have bad "dad" jokes.

But it's frustrating when people just don't understand what the SBC is. It's unlike any other denomination out there. No rules except for being undefined. Because the second you can define a Baptist you aren't describing a Baptist.

Makes sense to me as I've been one my whole life. But for every other person outside looking in.....well it ain't so easy.
I grew up in the church of Christ. It's kinda like that without the annual conventions.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018

He gives some reasons why many Christians are leaving the SBC.

Easy Believism and Self help ministry.

Prosperity and heresy.
They probably have no idea of what Zipporah was doing in Ex 4 or any notion of why axe heads are floating in 2Ki 6 either.

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The main issue is the Expulsion of Congregations/Churches that support/allow women Pastors by the SBA.
Clear as a bell. Not only the command, but precisely why. A primordial precedent if you will......

1Ti 2:12
And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.
1Ti 2:13
For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
1Ti 2:14
And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I get the joke now....
My wife says I'm a little slow...and have bad "dad" jokes.

But it's frustrating when people just don't understand what the SBC is. It's unlike any other denomination out there. No rules except for being undefined. Because the second you can define a Baptist you aren't describing a Baptist.

Makes sense to me as I've been one my whole life. But for every other person outside looking in.....well it ain't so easy.
Well, unless it has changed in the last few years, they had far more influence than you are suggesting. I know for sure that they issue "preaching subjects" that SB Pastors are expected to preach on each Sunday. I have seen the Pamphlets/Letters they send to Pastors a friend of mine used to get. They have a distinct "message" concerning each subject preached on, and the Pastor is expected to follow SB Teachings on each subject.

The Council or Convention also decides what "theology" will be preached/taught in SB Churches, and Pastors are not to deviate from said "theology."

Their Tith requirements are certainly enforced by each Congregation, as is the Letter of Membership they require for each person in the Congregation. I saw one man and wife fill out a Form where they had to list all of their sources of Income, properties they owned, and assets, and were expected to tithe based on such information. If they failed to do so, once would get a friendly question, twice would get a friendly conversation from a Deacon, three or more times could end up with two or more Deacos visiting them and conversations about their being in danger of having their "Letter" pulled from Membership in the Congregation.

This is not fiction. I know two men and their families that were put out, given their Letters back, because they refused to tithe what they were expected to.

As for Warren and Saddleback, I could not care less, I have never agreed with his teachings. But the NC Mega Church is a far different story. Regardless of ones views, losing several thousand "tithing members" is going to have an effect on any Organization.

As far as "cleaning house," well, yeah, I guess one that agrees with SB Ideology would see it that way...... :)

Anyway, the Article speaks for itself......... I think there will be more dominos to fall as the SBC "cleans house." But, who knows?

cv5

Nov 20, 2018
The Council or Convention also decides what "theology" will be preached/taught in SB Churches, and Pastors are not to deviate from said "theology."

Their Tith requirements are certainly enforced by each Congregation, as is the Letter of Membership they require for each person in the Congregation. I saw one man and wife fill out a Form where they had to list all of their sources of Income, properties they owned, and assets, and were expected to tithe based on such information. If they failed to do so, once would get a friendly question, twice would get a friendly conversation from a Deacon, three or more times could end up with two or more Deacos visiting them and conversations about their being in danger of having their "Letter" pulled from Membership in the Congregation.

This is not fiction. I know two men and their families that were put out, given their Letters back, because they refused to tithe what they were expected to.
Good to know thanks. I will be sure not to darken their doorway. Ever.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Well, unless it has changed in the last few years, they had far more influence than you are suggesting. I know for sure that they issue "preaching subjects" that SB Pastors are expected to preach on each Sunday. I have seen the Pamphlets/Letters they send to Pastors a friend of mine used to get. They have a distinct "message" concerning each subject preached on, and the Pastor is expected to follow SB Teachings on each subject.

As for Warren and Saddleback, I could not care less, I have never agreed with his teachings. But the NC Mega Church is a far different story. Regardless of ones views, losing several thousand "tithing members" is going to have an effect on any Organization.

As far as "cleaning house," well, yeah, I guess one that agrees with SB Ideology would see it that way...... :)

Anyway, the Article speaks for itself......... I think there will be more dominos to fall as the SBC "cleans house." But, who knows?
The entire SC church is one member of the convention. The SBC has no oversight over any member/subscribing church....each church is autonomous.

As far as "Sermon Outlines"....
They have to actually pay for those...IOW subscribe to get them.
I rail against "canned sermons" regularly.

Most pastors usually subscribe to last year's at a discount from what they charge for this year's outlines.

Some Pastors don't subscribe at all....some prefer "series" on books in the Bible or they do themes for their series.

Some have their sermons planned out almost a year in advance so that music and Small Group studies can coordinate.

I've been to ALOT of SBC churches....once upon a time they all used the same Sunday School literature so that if you were traveling you didn't have to miss a lesson. Then they have added more series over the decades....I'm not exactly a fan of their EIC for the past two decades.

Just saying.

Billyd

May 8, 2014

In my 70 years as a member, and 40 years as a deacon of a SBC church, I have never witnessed a person being removed from a congregation for failure to tithe or failure to contribute money to the churches ministry. The only reason that we have removed anyone from the congregation was for sexual immorality.

Here's the ruling document of the SBC.

https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
In my 70 years as a member, and 40 years as a deacon of a SBC church, I have never witnessed a person being removed from a congregation for failure to tithe or failure to contribute money to the churches ministry. The only reason that we have removed anyone from the congregation was for sexual immorality.

Here's the ruling document of the SBC.

https://bfm.sbc.net/bfm2000/
Right....I haven't seen it either.....except for an associate Pastor.
And to me the pastoral staff kinda gets a raw deal on one hand....but a pretty good deal on the other. They usually get paid pretty well, especially with all the perks and bennies that come with the job. So giving 10% back is kinda a given.

And an associate Pastor who does not believe in the church or giving to God is going to make everyone question him, his commitment to God, commitment to the church he is personally ministering to etc etc etc.

But an average pew warmer not giving? I doubt anyone would know except for the few pastors that ask to know of the accountants. (Judas)
Some pastors do not want people that don't give to the church to be an adult small group leader, deacon, or some other position of service/leadership in the church. But their membership is not questioned or ever disparaged for not giving. They just can't have a position of leadership according to some pastors. Some pastors don't care though and never know and don't want to know.

It's the SBC.....you will find a large variety of policies within the wide pail of orthodoxy in an SBC church.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Right....I haven't seen it either.....except for an associate Pastor.
And to me the pastoral staff kinda gets a raw deal on one hand....but a pretty good deal on the other. They usually get paid pretty well, especially with all the perks and bennies that come with the job. So giving 10% back is kinda a given.

And an associate Pastor who does not believe in the church or giving to God is going to make everyone question him, his commitment to God, commitment to the church he is personally ministering to etc etc etc.

But an average pew warmer not giving? I doubt anyone would know except for the few pastors that ask to know of the accountants. (Judas)
Some pastors do not want people that don't give to the church to be an adult small group leader, deacon, or some other position of service/leadership in the church. But their membership is not questioned or ever disparaged for not giving. They just can't have a position of leadership according to some pastors. Some pastors don't care though and never know and don't want to know.

It's the SBC.....you will find a large variety of policies within the wide pail of orthodoxy in an SBC church.
I guess it's possible for the church leadership to know how much most tithing members contribute, we get a statement for our taxes, but I know of no one who has ever done it. Anyone who inquired, would be outed by the church secretary, to the person who is the subject of the inquiry.

The important fact shared by all SBC churches and all other Christian denominations (I hope) is that "we are saved by grace through faith".

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I guess it's possible for the church leadership to know how much most tithing members contribute, we get a statement for our taxes, but I know of no one who has ever done it. Anyone who inquired, would be outed by the church secretary, to the person who is the subject of the inquiry.

The important fact shared by all SBC churches and all other Christian denominations (I hope) is that "we are saved by grace through faith".
Oh Judas claims to keep all secrets but her files aren't exactly locked either.

Just saying.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Just thinking.

The IRS was auditing a wealthy church member's (not our church) taxes. They called the church pastor and asked the pastor if the member had donated $24,000 to the church. After a few moments of juggling paper, the pastor replied "he will".