Spectacular conference at my church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

Today we had a desert streams conference at my church entitle "Fighting for Our Best". Desert Stream (no s- that would be Kirk Cameron's ministry) is a Christian para-church organization which provides severka avenues for healing from sexual and relational brokenness. The leader, Andy Comiskey, is an amazing man who came out of a very active homosexual lifestyle and had dedicated his life to his own healin and the healing of others. Today we had a conference and my church provided the worship. I always LOVE doing worship at Desert Stream events because these people really have a heart for worship.
This conference was truly anointed. The speakers were awesome. The worship was amazing. So glad I got to do it.

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
What did they discuss?

J

Jordache

I wasn't there at the first two sessions, but I do know at one they talked about setting boundaries with family. During the breakout sessions there were a few options having to with how to love homosexual family members, fighting for prodigals, and fighting for those with sexual addiction. The last one was about letting go of co-dependency.

Feb 11, 2012
I did some research on this ministry, and was a bit confused why they do not preach repentance, such as stoping the sin, as commanded, they seem to just provide service and comfort for the struggling sinner which in this case is sexual disfunction.

But as with most ministries, they promote original sin, substitution, which isnt taught in the word of God, I was wondering if you had to pay money to attend this conference?

I know you hate my messages, and I have accepted that, I don't know your heart, but can judge these false doctrines by well meaning ministries, that promote faith alone, original sin, substitution, osas. etc.. all conjecture, and not taught by the early church.

Now IF many are coming to a saving faith through this ministry, as you claim, how can they when repentance and faith proven by deeds is not being preached?

I commend those who have stopped their addictions, but of course under what this ministry teaches, stopping any sin isnt manditory, but a good thing to do, as we know the wages of sin is death, but not spiritual death as they teach, where scripture teaches the soul who sin shall die!

Here is my concern with this ministry:

Quote:

What We Believe

We believe that faith alone in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord frees us from the mastery of sin, and its consequences of death and eternal damnation. He assumed the penalty of death Himself, and enables us to live out of His resurrected life unto eternity.(

I agree with most of the other statements, but this faith alone is a false teaching, followed by Him taking our punishment)[

This is substitution theology, and comes from the born in sin nature, so instead of calling the dead church to repent, they call them to seek help from these popular ministries that have a form of godliness, and teach all sins are preforgiven, so if a person has stopped sinning against God, as I mentioned that is a good thing, but what if they fall back into thier addiction and rebellion?

In what they teach nothing, you may loose rewards, and cause alot of pain to your family etc, but you are eternally secure, you accepted Jesus as your replacements, and all your righteousness is in him since you are a depraved sinner! So faith without works is dead also.

But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[SUP][f][/SUP] [SUP]21 [/SUP]Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? [SUP]22 [/SUP]Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? [SUP]23 [/SUP]And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[SUP][[/SUP][SUP]g[/SUP][SUP]][/SUP] And he was called the friend of God. [SUP]24 [/SUP]You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
[SUP]25 [/SUP]Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?
[SUP]26 [/SUP]For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.(James 2-20-26)…
Today faith as described in the word of God has taken on many different forms that can easily confuse anyone truly searching for truth. Faith has been so very misrepresented by many well-meaning and not so well meaning Bible teachers and scholars that there are many false and dangerous teachings on this simple act of obedience.
As you can see from the great example set forth by Abraham on what a real saving faith is, it seems near impossible for anyone who has some discernment to not see how obedience and faith go hand in hand, together, two peas in a pod, and mesh as one fine oiled machine when used and put into action as an act of obedience to the commands of God.
I won’t go into every aspect of the above powerful verses, I just encourage you to read them apart from your conceived notions that you were born a sinner, totally depraved, and now faith to you is some forensic ideal that was already done when you said I accept Jesus!
Yes, faith is a work, a working faith through love, where you love God supremely as commanded, and obey His commands from a heart made pure through repentance, and obedience to the truth.
So as we can see Abraham obeyed God from his heart, for He loved God supremely, he did what God told Him to do, no questions asked, thus this obedience was imputed or put onto him as righteousness.
This blows the myth that Jesus did it all in advance, and that faith is just a passive notion that has no dynamics working behind it such as, purity, obedience, synergy (working together with God to produce something powerful together) righteousness, justified by works (deeds) and not faith alone.
But many who profess Christ today have a dead faith, either by sheer laziness or ignorance , or have sat under the repeat after me teachers, who boldly claim faith and obedience are not the same, where obedience was done for them through the provision Jesus somehow made for them, and now their faith equal’s the faith of the demons.
Abraham, Rahab, Jobe, Noah, Daniel, Joseph and many others God used mightily, all produced the deed or works of faith; they obeyed God from their heart, and great love and fear of His awesome power, producing a perfect upright walk with Him.
Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.
Faith is a work, we must do to please God, it’s a command not a side issue reserved only for the obedient saints in the Bible, but for all who come to Christ as commanded, by faith, with an obedient heart, that can only come through real repentance and faith proven by deeds!
So the next time you want to scream “It’s not of works” remember to be very sure you know what works the word of God is talking about, as clearly portrayed and lived out by Abraham, and many others God declared righteous by their working obedient faith!
To sum this us:
Faith is not passive; it is active, alive and ongoing!
Faith is a work, from the heart that obeys as commanded!
Faith is pleasing to the Lord, in fact He commands all His saints to walk by it, everyday!
Faith=Obedience!
Faith is imputed as righteousness to those who obey God!
Faith purifies the heart, made pure through repentance and clearing of wrong doing!
Faith can become shipwrecked by disobeying God, and following the flesh over the spirit!
There are many more strong examples of faith working through love in the word of God, many have read them and have gotten inspired by them, but the main concern is where your faith is?
In something that never happened, or a working, dynamic, obedient faith as laid out by many brave and godly men and women in the word of God!
And remember IF any of these men or women decided to disobey God, then God would have choose someone else to work with Him, as He is no respecter of persons, but His mercy and kindness is bestowed on the righteous, or the ones who are declared righteous by obeying Him through their heart, keeping His commands, and working together with Him to be counted worthy of their calling on the narrow road!
Act 15:9 And He put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith ((obedience).
Obedience matters, but it’s a free will choice God has given us, where He tests His saints to see if they are real, genuine, walking in the spirit, living a crucified life unto Him, obeying His commands each and every day, knowing that they can become disqualified IF they turn away from Him, seeking to obey their flesh and the many false doctrine’s that teach faith is already done for you in advanced, and any disobedience to God is just a speed bump, not a road block leading to spiritual death!
Tommy

T

Tintin

*Face palm*

J

Jordache

Actually Tommy, I don't "hate" your doctrine. I don't agree with it completely. The problem I have is with the cookie cutter approach. Since your first doctrinal posting on cc I have listened intently in all my settings: meetings, ministries, Sunday church, casual talk, etc to try and understand your point of view.
I have been through every program offered by Desert Stream multiple times, and I can't tell you confidently that they certainly do no preach cheap grace. Andy Comiskey is very firm in his call to repentance and the transformational ministry of Jesus. Living Watters is their 6 month long program. It's very intensive.and the first half of it is focused on understanding brokenness while the entire second half is devoted to confession, repentance, and humbly approaching the cross with your every need. Confession and repentance is an integral part in all of their programs including the conferences, Living Waters, Cross Current, and other speaking times. Andy always gives a call to repentance... ALWAYS! And he's not one to diminish its importance. He doesn't glaze over it. He is firm, but compassionate. He makes a lot of people angry, but he's both loving and truthful. In fact, Andy and these programs really teach a very accurate model of practical confession and repentance.