Spirit lusts against the Flesh

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

nl

Jun 26, 2011
Spirit lusts against the Flesh

Just as the flesh has lusts that are contrary to walking after the spirit so also the spirit has lusts that are contrary to walking after the flesh. Look at Galatians 5:17 and see what it is saying.

Galatian 5:17 (KJV)

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot dothe things that ye would.

Galatians 5:17(Modified)
For the flesh lusts [or sets its desire] against the Spirit, and the Spirit [lusts or sets its desire] against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

Galatians 5:17(NRSV)
For what the flesh desires is opposed to the Spirit, and what the Spirit desires is opposed to the flesh; for these are opposed to each other, to prevent you from doing what you want.

From the same chapter…

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. - Galatians 5:16

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. - Galatians 5:25

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
If we walk in the spirit we will not fulfill the longings of the flesh, which cause us to violate GOD's law. So walking in the spirit is obedience to, and fulfillment of, the law.

nl

Jun 26, 2011
What does it mean to "walk in the Spirit"?
Walk in the Spirit.

The Christian is freed from being regulated by fleshly willpower under the external standard of the law to being regulated by an inward law written on the heart and an internal, spiritual power given by the Holy Spirit.

We cannot keep the law on willpower alone. We cannot please God and walk in the spirit on willpower alone.

The Spirit of grace and supplication gives us a power to overcome fleshly lusts and to pray which is supernatural. There is a power God gives that goes along with Christian godliness.

God works miracles in changing human nature which is the flesh that cannot please God.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Some are made new. Some are not. Not all are "in Christ". The Holy Spirit seals and enpowers those who are in Christ.

Jul 26, 2013
Walk in the Spirit.

The Christian is freed from being regulated by fleshly willpower under the external standard of the law to being regulated by an inward law written on the heart and an internal, spiritual power given by the Holy Spirit.

We cannot keep the law on willpower alone. We cannot please God and walk in the spirit on willpower alone.

The Spirit of grace and supplication gives us a power to overcome fleshly lusts and to pray which is supernatural. There is a power God gives that goes along with Christian godliness.

God works miracles in changing human nature which is the flesh that cannot please God.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Some are made new. Some are not. Not all are "in Christ". The Holy Spirit seals and enpowers those who are in Christ.
What does it mean "to be in Christ"?

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
If we walk in the spirit we will not fulfill the longings of the flesh, which cause us to violate GOD's law. So walking in the spirit is obedience to, and fulfillment of, the law.
Help me out here. when you say "law" what do you mean?

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
i'm struggling with this very thing now... just praying to God that i can over come this soon and it's like when you sin it's like your spirit is magnified you hear it speaking loudly at you this is wrong

nl

Jun 26, 2011
i'm struggling with this very thing now... just praying to God that i can over come this soon and it's like when you sin it's like your spirit is magnified you hear it speaking loudly at you this is wrong
Lusts can be strong at your age. Lusts never go away at any age that I've witnessed.

Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 6:11

For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. - Romans 8:18

May blessings abound to you. Stay strong in the Lord and in the power of His Might. (Ephesians 6:10). :).

nl

Jun 26, 2011
What does it mean "to be in Christ"?
Spirit of Fire, I have read some of your recent, prior posts and seen that you've asked many questions but provided few answers and few responses to the answers that you've been given. For now, I'll let you seek that answer on your own (Matthew 6:33). :).