Standing up for what you Believe in

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
B

BlueJay

I am against gay marriage, I think it's wrong. But my problem is at school just about 90 percent of people are for it, I don't know how to stand up for what I believe in when it's me against the entire class. How do I deal with it? And how do I deal with people who are for it? Do I tell them their wrong or am I supposed to respect them? And how do I also deal with people who are gay? Thankyou for your help, God bless!

S

Spokenpassage

That last question bothered me. You should love them just as you would love everyone else, but don't condone their practice and belief.

If they talk about it to you, or ask you what you think, yes it is right to tell them it's wrong. Don't condemn them or yell at them for being contrary. If they get defensive, then just continue to stand with the Word of God.

Matter of fact, that can be a good entry way into evangelizing to them. Tell them what the law says, and tell them the good news of Jesus and their need for Him.

B

BlueJay

Sorry about the last question, I didn't mean it in that way. It sounds bad now that I reread it. But how do I talk to people who have such strong opinions about it, they always seem to make me look like the bad guy

S

Spokenpassage

Sorry about the last question, I didn't mean it in that way. It sounds bad now that I reread it. But how do I talk to people who have such strong opinions about it, they always seem to make me look like the bad guy
Stand with scripture, use and quote scripture. If they think bad of you, be happy because you are confessing your faith. Because of that, it will mark them, it may even convict them and bring them to Jesus. The world wants everyone to walk in the same direction they are, but if they see you walking contrary you are showing confidence. Just think about how much of a difference you can make through Christ. What if other people believe the same as you do but struggle at defending the Word, but if they see you make the first move, it will encourage them to follow. We need people to stand up, because who else will?

Don't worry about what you said, it just sounded like that's what you meant. :)

Oct 31, 2011
I am against gay marriage, I think it's wrong. But my problem is at school just about 90 percent of people are for it, I don't know how to stand up for what I believe in when it's me against the entire class. How do I deal with it? And how do I deal with people who are for it? Do I tell them their wrong or am I supposed to respect them? And how do I also deal with people who are gay? Thankyou for your help, God bless!
This is something we face today and it is going to get worse. I was born almost 90 years ago, and then it would be a problem to say you were for that lifestyle. Scripture tells us that wicked behavior will be accepted more and more as you and I are proving.

If you go to the book of Daniel in the Old testament, and see how Daniel handled things like this, it tells you how to handle it. I suggest you use a good commentary to help you. Tom Bradford at "torahclass.com" is a good Christian with lots of knowledge of Hebrew culture to help you through that book with the eyes of Jesus.

Daniel loved the Lord and lived a different lifestyle in the midst of people who didn't share his beliefs at all, yet he got to be almost top man in this nation. All the time he even took time out from his job for prayer, even though his enemies used it against him. He even ate different, it is an interesting read.

You really don't have to deal with your classmate's beliefs. That is something God is taking care of, God only asks that you quietly have faith in Him and not lie about it if you are asked. Scripture says there will come a time when we will be asked and face death if we don't deny, not only our beliefs but God. What you are facing is really a simple test of your faith.

B

BlueJay

Thankyou everyone:) you all helped a lot! if you have more suggestions or advice I'll gladly take it