Star of david symbolism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I am making this thread because i want to know the meaning of the star of david. I am typing this on my 3DS because i am grounded from my laptop so i may make some mistakes in typing as it is not easy to do on a gameboy.So people have many theories as to the symbolism of the star of david which i think shined on the birth of jesus for the wise men to follow correct? some call it a star that symbolises war, others for the actual name of david somehow. but in my opinion doesn't it symbolise the coming of the messiah? because if so, why all the other interpretation of it?

R

RachelBibleStudent

there really is no symbolism to the 'star of david'...it is just one of several star motifs used in ancient israel and the ancient middle east...

P

prodigal

funny its called the star of david though when it was first used by solomon when he entertained foreign gods, maybe it means the star of the house of david

D

Donkeyfish07

The star of david is also geometrically described as a "Hexagram" and is used in black magic. That's where the phrase "Putting a hex on someone" originates from. Like prodigal suggests, the earliest I've heard about it being used is during Solomons reign (I'm not sure that's true or not but it's the earliest I've HEARD of it being used) but historically i don't think it came into widespread use as a symbol of Judaism until at least the third century. There has also been speculation that it went by the name "The star of remphan" back in ancient times (And that's mentioned negatively in the bible) but I haven't seen any actual proof of that.

presidente

May 29, 2013
My wife was reading up on that and said it was of an occultic origin. She read an orthodox Jewish web page that said the actual Jewish symbol was a menorah in times past. I've also heard the star with a dot in the middle of it was used a lot in Islamic art and they sometimes associated it with Solomon.

IMO, it is unlikely it goes back to David.

SparkleEyes

Mar 23, 2013
I'd like to hear from someone steeped in Jewish history. The star of David is used universally by most Jews. They wear it around their necks, it is used to decorate their houses....all over. I am sure they would be offended at the occult reference - which I personally think is bogus. The Star of David has 6 points and a pentagon, which is used by occultists, has 5 sides or points.

Wiki 'pentagon' (not The Pentagon) and 'Star of David' and get a start on your discovery process. (Wiki is not perfect, but is sometimes a good place to start.) :cool:

D

Donkeyfish07

I'd like to hear from someone steeped in Jewish history. The star of David is used universally by most Jews. They wear it around their necks, it is used to decorate their houses....all over. I am sure they would be offended at the occult reference - which I personally think is bogus. The Star of David has 6 points and a pentagon, which is used by occultists, has 5 sides or points.

Wiki 'pentagon' (not The Pentagon) and 'Star of David' and get a start on your discovery process. (Wiki is not perfect, but is sometimes a good place to start.) :cool:
Pentagrams and Hexagrams are both used by practicing occultists. I assure you that Hexagrams specifically are used extensively in occult practices. Since your a wiki person, check out the page on Hexagrams

Hexagram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What's on that page is only barely scratching the surface of what the symbol is/has been used for.

A

Abiding

totally from jewish magic...most rumors relating it to David and Solomon are unlikely
redsheild star of David comes from the Rothchilds which put Israel together...heavy
into Kabbalah which is no secret. Its certainly a occultic symbol. regardless what
symbols were used in ancient Israel...the modern flag of Israel is from Rothchilds.

Sep 8, 2012
The Star of David is two triangles overlapping each other in opposite directions.
- Much like the compass and square of Masonry.
It has nothing to do with ancient Jewish tradition or David.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Gilt by association simply does not hold in this case. The occultists pray...doesn't mean we are practicing occultism when we pray. What is important is what was the original intended meaning of the Jewish people when they first started using the star and what has it evolved into.

D

Donkeyfish07

Gilt by association simply does not hold in this case. The occultists pray...doesn't mean we are practicing occultism when we pray. What is important is what was the original intended meaning of the Jewish people when they first started using the star and what has it evolved into.
The topic isn't about guilt....it's simply about the symbol itself.

D

Donkeyfish07

My post wasn't about guilt either but faulty paths taken in seeking the origins of it's use.
Which paths do you think are faulty and why? I've really looked into this particular topic. If I commit a factual error on it I'd like to know.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
something to consider:

Amos 5

25Have ye offered unto me sacrifices and offerings in the wilderness forty years, O house of Israel? 26But ye have borne the tabernacle of your Moloch and Chiun your images, the star of your god, which ye made to yourselves. 27Therefore will I cause you to go into captivity beyond Damascus, saith the LORD, whose name is The God of hosts.
Acts 7

43Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Which paths do you think are faulty and why? I've really looked into this particular topic. If I commit a factual error on it I'd like to know.
Guilt by association is a logical fallacy.Because occultists use an item and Jews use the same item doesn't mean Jews used it for the same purpose
from the beginning. As I said occultists pray and we pray but there is no association between ours and theirs.

R

RachelBibleStudent

there is a lot of misinformation about the star of david and its origins...

before it was called the 'star of david' it was called the 'seal of solomon'...in reality it has nothing to do with either david or solomon...

it also didn't originate from the occult...occultists just have an affinity for star symbols of all kinds...and geometric designs in general...

the real truth is much more boring...in the ancient middle east stars were commonly used as decorative motifs...especially the five pointed pentagram...the six pointed hexagram...and the eight pointed octagram...

in the distant past the jews used all three as decorations for manuscripts and synagogues and so on...over time the six pointed hexagram became the most widely used design...probably just due to the simplicity of drawing it...two triangles...

the kabbalists adopted the hexagram in their sigils in medieval times...it came to represent the jewish people in general in the 1600s when the government of vienna used it to identify the jewish quarter of the city on a boundary marker...