Strange Place for a Preacher

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Mammachickadee

Story taken from a missions conference at a Baptist church in Kansas.
A young seminary student with great prejudice against those who frequented whorehouses brought up a very prideful example in class of his response to a future convert who expressed reservations about giving up his nights at the bar. The teacher of the class, a well respected and morally upright man, smiled and asked the student if he would follow a convert to the depths of earthly hell if it meant he could save the guy's soul with the gospel. The young seminary student answered immediately, "Yes." The old preacher said with a grin, "Oh good. Come with me class."
They went to a part of town on the west coast known for it's multiple houses of ill repute and, to everyone's shock, marched right to the door of the poorest looking topless bar on the street. The wise preacher turned around and said with a hand on the door, "You first."
The young man spluttered a bit, but, knowing it was a directive from the preacher, went in followed by the preacher and the rest of the class.
The preacher led them straight to the bar, and introduced the bartender to the young students each by name. The bartender went to the back and brought out a two-piece ladder that the old preacher instructed the young student to stand on. The room quickly became hushed and everyone looked in wonder and incredulity at all these men in suits crowded around a ladder blushing, looking at the floor, and avoiding eye contact.
"Why don't you introduce yourself and tell them who you are and when you came to Christ?" the preacher said.
The young man did so, followed by student after student. When all students were finished the old preacher handed the bartender a stack of gospel tracts and another stack of business cards for the church he was a pastor of. With a thank you the bartender placed them at the end of the counter and, with a tear in his eye, went straight to his brother who was one of the frequenters of the bar and hugged him. The seminary students went back to class. The proud one asked the old preacher why they went there of all places.
"Son, I've been working on Jerry (the bartender) for 15 years. He made a promise to me a few weeks ago that he would come and see where I work if I and a group of the people I valued the most came to where he worked and gave an example of church people that weren't just as proud as any other heathen. Thank you, boys."
Two months after the incident, the barkeeper drove his brother, a back-slidden former seminary student, to the church to share how the Lord was doing an amazing work in the poor side of Chicago.

Was it morally wrong to take those young men to a topless bar? Was it outrageous of Jesus to keep company with tax collectors, harlots, and Romans?

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J-Kay

Wow.... awesome lesson there. We hear and quote Church
is for the sinner. What a way to get the sinner into Church.
I am familiar with the expression " do-gooder " ....Too, good
to mingle with the sinner. Then we remember the Word as you
said, Jesus mingled with the sinner.

There can be a con to this however, and that is a very weak
Christian could be drawn into the web of sin if one were to try
to do this alone. I believe it must be done with a group who
are mature in the Lord. One who has come out of the lifestyle
of nudity, and etc, could very well be taken back into the pig sty.

This is a very sticky situation, but makes one really know we must
be like Christ and not be afraid of speaking to the unbeliever.
Wonderful story. ~

May 15, 2013
Matthew 25:26“His master replied, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I have not sown and gather where I have not scattered seed?

Matthew 12:30
“Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.

John 10:12
The hired hand is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep. So when he sees the wolf coming, he abandons the sheep and runs away. Then the wolf attacks the flock and scatters it.

Matthew 10:16

“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

Matthew 10:14
If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet.

Matthew 9:12
On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.

M

Mammachickadee

If Jesus wasn't to proud to carry a cross down the street just to die naked on the cross, why should we be too proud to go to someone who makes us feel uncomfortable with the message of Christ's redemption?