Successfully Homeschooled.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

gracisings

Hi, my name is Grace. I have been homeschooled since second grade. I am also the oldest of 6 children, my 5 younger siblings are preschool-7th grade.

Now, at 17, I am starting calculus, taking physics, making A's in a literature class, and have won a number of writing contests. I am a Christian and a problem-solver. I am here to tell homeschool moms that homeschooling can work. Many of the best kids I know also came from homeschool families. I know my mom has gotten discouraged sometimes, but my education really was wonderful. Don't get discouraged -- you're doing what's best for your kids, and they will probably thank you for it one day.

If anyone has any questions about what my family does for curriculum, I will be glad to answer. Also, I am always willing to help other kids with essay-writing, and can tutor through Algebra 2. Post if you want.

Thanks to my Mom, and all the other homeschool families who are doing that for their kids.

God bless you,
Grace

Nautilus

Jun 29, 2012
i was also in calculus and physics with straight a's at 17. In publuc school. Its not hard to do well in school.

Oct 31, 2011
Homeschooling does give the best opportunities! When schooling is about the individual so you don't advance until you learn a step in the process, and after you learn it you don't have to sit bored to tears waiting for the class to catch up with you, just that aspect of home schooling makes it wonderful. There are many, many other advantages.

I don't think we should ignore the negatives. The facts are some kids just don't learn without the expert training of a teacher, or the competiveness of a class of classmates. It takes a mother with a tremendous amount of commitment and drive, and she has to manage home schooling demands with demands of keeping a house.

You are one of the successes. There are failures, too. My sister's grandkids didn't even learn to read under homeschooling. There needs to be on going tests home schooled children must pass at every stage to protect children from schools that aren't successful.

P

psychomom

May God continue to bless you, Grace! :)

I'm pro homeschooling, as the mom of 6 wonderful home taught kiddos.
Our eldest began learning at home in 3rd grade. The others never went to public or private schools.

I know RedTent is right...there are kids whose parents have not been as diligent as they ought to have been,
but I'm glad all people don't become discouraged by that. (and I believe those unfortunate children to be in the minority)

beeteedubs--all our children have done wonderfully in college!
many of their profs were thrilled to learn they had been taught at home.
that, as I see it, is part of the legacy given by the Lord to homeschool families.
those professors have learned from experience they can expect good things from kids taught at home.

just some encouragement for your next educational step! :)
~ellie

N

nimbus3852

Academics is high for homeschooling, this is true.

H

Hellooo

I'm neither for or against homeschooling, but some of the previously homeschooled people I've met have been incredibly socially awkward. More power to other women who are into homeschooling their children, never had that desire or perceived an inherent need for it..maybe if I was living abroad with my family or if my child was pursuing a serious talent or skill.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm neither for or against homeschooling, but some of the previously homeschooled people I've met have been incredibly socially awkward. More power to other women who are into homeschooling their children, never had that desire or perceived an inherent need for it..maybe if I was living abroad with my family or if my child was pursuing a serious talent or skill.
As our schools try to keep anything of God out of the school more and more, it becomes necessary to home school. Now, many homeschool families are helping each other. My neighbor even shares classes, for one neighbor is better with history, and she is better with English, so the children go to one house for English, another for history. Also, several homeschool families meet at least once a week for an afternoon of play time together.

H

Hellooo

Oops, just to clarify, I don't have any children..I just realized how my previous post might indiciate otherwise, heh.

That's a valid point redtent. I'm no parent so maybe I'm just speculating out of my rear here. Ultimately we have to find a balance in teaching the children in our lives to be in but not of this fallen world, so we have to be vigilant in instilling those values at home regardless of whether we home school, send them to private/public schools, etc.

N

nimbus3852

It's not a "fallen world"

Actually, most of the world is considered Christian.

U

Ugly

Most often this is the fault of the parent, or perhaps a choice of the parent to mistake home schooling as a chance to remove their kids from 'the world' to such a degree that they lack social interaction. To home school Correctly is to ensure social interaction. When i lived in CA a friend home schooled and many of the kids she knew that were home schooled were so active in other things, getting out of the house and doing things, that they sometimes had to slow down to focus on their schooling. Its all about what the parent does to ensure there is social based activities for the children.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

have you not been out of your house, turned on your television, or visited any website other than this one?

or do you just not understand how much different a world that honors God would be?

G

gracisings

Homeschooling does give the best opportunities! When schooling is about the individual so you don't advance until you learn a step in the process, and after you learn it you don't have to sit bored to tears waiting for the class to catch up with you, just that aspect of home schooling makes it wonderful. There are many, many other advantages.

I don't think we should ignore the negatives. The facts are some kids just don't learn without the expert training of a teacher, or the competiveness of a class of classmates. It takes a mother with a tremendous amount of commitment and drive, and she has to manage home schooling demands with demands of keeping a house.
Interesting. There are some things I've found hard to learn without a teacher -- chemistry makes a good example. However, it's surprising how much I can figure out on my own, and Mom was able to explain all the stuff that confused me in elementary school.
As I've started taking more classes, I've really enjoyed competing with other kids. My siblings don't miss competition, though! Mom adds up our math lesson scores over the week (but only for scores over 80.) So 2 lessons and a 91 on each would be 182 points. Some of us have gotten over a thousand points in a week, because whoever has the highest score gets to pick their favorite dessert on the weekend. We also compete for total practicing hours. Last week, I won with 6 hours in a week. On a normal week that would have been impossible, but the 8 year old was so excited about the holidays that she "forgot" to practice her normal 10+ hours and win the challenge. And, whenever the family choir sings at church, the person with the highest number of school hours so-far-that-month gets to pick where we eat out. (Eating out is a rare treat in our family!) You should see the scramble when we sang on Sunday, the 2nd. EVERYBODY did at least a ten hour day on Saturday!
Mom has already given up on keeping the house perfectly clean. She has set up a schedule where my siblings and I clean the whole house twice a week. Each day we do two rooms, all working together for about an hour until it's done. She also has each person do a room on Saturday, so that we all know how to clean every room. So, the bathroom gets cleaned Tuesday and Saturday, and there is dust on the piano every day except Thursday. We keep up with that amount of leaning, though. The house is clean enough that it isn't a health hazard. My siblings and I also have a "dishes week" for each of us, although the little ones just dry dishes for older kids. Mom doesn't have to do any of the dishes (unless someone's sick and she volunteers to help.) Mom also lets us cook quite a bit, if we want to eat it we can cook it. Everyone over 8 can make bread and cook all favorite foods. So really, Mom doesn't have a big job keeping up with so many children. Instead, she teaches us to do it!

You are one of the successes. There are failures, too. My sister's grandkids didn't even learn to read under homeschooling. There needs to be on going tests home schooled children must pass at every stage to protect children from schools that aren't successful.
I think a lot of my Mom's success is that she raised me from the cradle with a love of books. She read to me an hour a day from when I was 6 months old. I started reading when I was 3, and almost flunked first grade because I would stay up till 2AM reading "Little House on the Prairie," then fall asleep during my phonics lesson! I basically homeschooled myself, and even now that I'm in more classes, what matters is the studying I do on my own NOT what the teacher says!

Speaking of schools that aren't successful, this question could be turned around. Should things be done to protect children from public schools that aren't successful?
That's interesting that you say socially awkward. I and the other homeschoolers I know are anything but that! I did go through a socially awkward stage at about 14, but I think that is normal for 14 year olds! The homeschoolers I know are often quite friendly, because they are used to talking to older and younger siblings, and are also used to talking with adults. I have seen a few more sheltered kids have trouble with, like, "what does that mean?" when someone says a dirty word. Most of us are quite talkative and friendly, though.

Actually, in my experience, many public schooled kids I've known fit the definition of socially awkward. I grew up with Mom correcting my manners and teaching me things like not laughing at your joke unless the other person thinks it's really funny. Most public school kids I know aren't well enough developed in manners to keep from making others uncomfortable.

I disagree. Most of the world WAS considered Christian, but it has been taken over by liberal and atheistic ideas.

penknight

Jan 6, 2014
I wanted to be homeschooled when I was younger. I didn't like going to school. I think my mom would have been a great teacher.

W

Wandering_Here

I was homeschooled, attended a public school for 2 years, and attended community college when I was a teen. I'm close to being the youngest person to ever graduate from that college with my 2-year degree. I also hold a Bachelor's degree from a public university. Homeschooling prepared me well academically.

As for the social aspect, I think homeschooling let me down. I live in a very small community and only had a few friends. However, that never bothered me until I went to public school, where I was belittled and ignored, not only by the students but by the teachers as well. I didn't learn much there because the students were so disruptive, the teachers spent half the period yelling at the kids. The biggest lesson I learned there was that I was not good enough and should be ashamed of who I was. I went from being outgoing and confident, to withdrawn. I think public school let me down both socially and academically.

I loved college. I learned and I made friends. It is the best of both worlds :)

I am a parent to a toddler and I plan to homeschool.

A

angelmyst

What???

The world fell into sin when Adam sinned.
Being Christian and being considered Christian are two very different things. Judas was considered Christian.
The world system will do its best to destroy our kids. Christian parents need to homeschool. I know it is hard sometimes. I was a stay at home mom for 25 years and homeschooled my children. 4 years ago sin destroyed our home and turned our life upside down. I kept my walk with God and kept homeschooling. I work nearly full time...am busy in my church and community and home school 3 kids still.
I have heard all the excuses for not homeschooling and I just can't accept them.
We are commanded by God to .. Train up our children in the way they should go....
How is that possible when we give them to the world system for twelve years of their immpressionable lives?
If we would simply obey God....He will take care of the results.

N

nimbus3852

What???
The world fell into sin when Adam sinned.
And the world was brought life by Jesus.

Being Christian and being considered Christian are two very different things. Judas was considered Christian.
The Gospel of Judas presents a very compelling argument for the integrity of Judas. If Jesus' plan was to be crucified, was not Judas helping humanity? Also, the accounts of his suicide are dubious at best.
Just some food for thought...

The world system will do its best to destroy our kids.
You're missing the main thrust of my argument: most of the world is Christian. Is not most of the world sanctified by the blood of Jesus? How can that which has been raised up, be called fallen? It's insulting!

I have heard all the excuses for not homeschooling and I just can't accept them.
We are commanded by God to .. Train up our children in the way they should go....
Some people physically cannot, like my mom.

How is that possible when we give them to the world system for twelve years of their immpressionable lives?
If we would simply obey God....He will take care of the results.
So your perspective is that it is a biblical injunction to homeschool? That's rather unique...