Suffering

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
N

NewFaithGuy

I am new here, and this is my first post.

Growing up, I wasn't a Chirstian.. I was introduced to Christianity by my roommate in college this year, and I have been a believer since.
But for me, life hasn't been simple. It has always had it's share of suffering in it. Right from childhood, I was look after my ailing grandfather when he was sick, since my parents were working. So, after school I would come back home and look after him. In this way I lost out on most of my childhood.
Soon afterwards he passed away.
Immediately after than my mom was diagnosed with a rare lung disorder and osteoporosis, which caused her to leave her job and get medicated at home. This happened in the final few years of my school life, and again I never got to enjoy my childhood.
My parents have always been busy with their lives and their jobs. I've always felt I've lost out on my childhood and love.
This love is what I found when I started reading the Bible. And I thank God for this!

But there is one thing that keeps on troubling me. Why is it that there is so much suffering and pain in the world?Why must people suffer so much? Why is life so?

C

calvina

Hi newfaith,welcome to CC.
brother,i'l tell you,you are more fortunate than children out there who are force to work at their early age as 7.instead of going to school ,they're gone to work for a living.to help their mom.you are blessed that you had stepped college.you are not alone who never enjoyed childhood life.now just continue walking with the LORD.Whatever you had not enjoyed before then let your future offspring experience:).suffering is result of our sins.
bro.read psalm 23,1peter 5:7 and zephaniah 3:17

GOD Bless you!

K

KisDawn

I think biologically speaking suffering makes us understand what isn't good for us. Like with me I have an emotionally abusive dad and because of that I will never be with anyone or be friends even with anyone like him. He has served as my example of what I don't like. So that and being the constant target of bulling in my grade and high school even had death threats regularly, it makes you lose a bit of your innocence. However with everything comes an ability to look back and learn from things like that. It's because of that I desire most in my heart to help other people. As far as degrees go I don't think it's right to point out that other people has suffered more then you, since that will always be the case, and same with people living much better lives then you. The best you can do is get an understanding of how you are going to use that to make your life and other peoples lives better. Like you can start up a camp for kids that have parents with cancer, or join one to help out so you can give other people what you didn't have. If you do that then you'll get love from them and that will help fill your heart.

N

NewFaithGuy

Thanks KisDawn and Calvina.. I am sitting here and reflecting about what both of you have said.. Thank you..

Nov 30, 2009
This is a question that really isn't easy or simple to answer, and I don't think anyone has the exact answer..but there are some bible verses that have been a huge impact in my life for a while now - they keep coming up and i believe it's God reminding us to hold on...

1 Peter 5:6-12 (New Living Translation)

6 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
8 Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. 9 Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters[a] all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. 10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. 11 All power to him forever! Amen.

James 1:2-5 (New Living Translation)

Faith and Endurance

2 Dear brothers and sisters,[a] when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. 3 For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. 5 If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.

A

asamanthinketh

well from my understanding suffering happens for many reasons

Sometimes suffering produces character, endurance, strength in us

but sometimes we suffer because others are using us and misusing us

sometimes we suffer because someone has done something to harm your make-up mentally, emotionally, physically

it is an evil when you don't understand why you are suffering or sometimes sorrowful when you realize that you are suffering because someone else misjudged you or did something intentional to harm you

so use that brain to figure out what is going on and within in your ability do not let another make you suffer needlessly

Something that sometimes brings me comfort and motivation is that in the end all will be made right, those who have used their power to do harm will maybe not be accepted by the Lord

And I understand more than you may feel, because my very own family, I can't even call them that, has stolen my faith.

Because what they saw of me as a child, is stuck in their brains and not what God wants now.

That is one reason why I know without a doubt that those who are blind or impaired in some way that makes them see the beauty and importance in others more than someone who judges a book by its cover are so much more special and valued in this life and to truly demonstrate the character of God.

For God is light and in God there is no darkness or shadow of turning.

B

bonnie2

NewFaithGuy, some things you probably won't understand until you get to Heaven. There is definitely a lot of suffering in the world, and no easy answers for most of it. For instance, you probably wonder why your mother had to suffer with this disease. I would definitely say that God does not create suffering, but He allows it. Have you ever read the book of Job? It's an amazing story of how God allowed suffering in a righteous man's life. Job was incredibly wealthy, and Satan told God that Job was just His servant for what he (Job) was getting out of it. So, God allowed Satan to take away everything precious to Job, to prove that Job would still remain faithful to God without those things. Sometimes there are spiritual battles going on around us that we have no idea about. One of my Bible teachers told me that there is a whole unseen realm of beings out there, watching us to see if we will be faithful to Him despite adversity. We're a part of "spiritual warfare" that is, for the most part, invisible. I don't know if that's the answer to what you've gone through, just some thoughts. I'll post again if I can find anything else (I have some great books that talk about this...unfortunately I have a ton of great Christian books I haven't read yet!)