Suffering.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
W

Weedlee

Let's make this a thread where people can read and find information about suffering. Maybe it might ease their own a bit or give them knowledge of information and truth about something. But alas probably not. What do you know about suffering.

What can you tell me about Jesus and suffering? What did his suffering achieve? So then what does our suffering achieve.

If we suffer as a criminal then suffering is just plain bad news. The bible also says one day there will be no more pain or suffering. Does this mean Satan Devil is tortured by something other than pain and suffering. I'm not sure.

I believe suffering makes you stupid and poor. It doesn't make your shine brighter. I would like to understand suffering and Jesus more. What is your opinion what is your truth. Tell me more about your experiences of suffering and Jesus and scripture.

People can't detect suffering sometimes with outward appearances.

So what is suffering for? It doesn't produce any good benefits. Or does it? What do you know about suffering? Have you experienced much of it. I suffered for about 10 years. It was like the pain was always on, extreme pain. I have truly suffered.

My suffering is light these days compared to what it used to be. Even though I have experienced suffering on the extreme end I still can't tell you much about it. I can tell you to avoid it. Maybe you can suggest pain avoidance measures. Really I don't know.

What I can say about suffering is that you should report it to a doctor and stress how much you are suffering. Doctors if they can't see a wound think your not suffering. Make sure the doctors understand your in pain and you want it treated.

Don't let the doctors tell you you have a mental illness when your suffering and in pain and that's all you want cured. Pain can often look like a mental illness i guess. I found it hard for doctors to believe me when I told them I was in pain and they offered me panadol and left me to it.

No one came to help me. No one understood how much pain I was in. There was no cure.

If you've never experienced on going pain before then your lucky.

So what can you tell me about pain? What's it for? Doe's it make you stronger? I think it doesn't.

TPTB use pain as a weapon. How much of a weapon is pain. Can that ever be solved?

Will science overcome pain oneday? Who in the world holds the record for the most pain endured for the longest time? Where are the Guiness world records.

No really tell me about pain. Maybe one day you will have your share of pain what will you do?

I have truly suffered and been defeated and left in the dark mauled and brutally beaten.

Tell me about your suffering?

Is there any good to come of suffering?

What's your story?

What does science say about suffering and pain. It keeps everyone bound in someway

What does Religion say about pain.

I haven't learned much from my experiences of suffering and pain. I hated it. Have you learned anything you can share. You know we shouldn't have to live like this. But we are powerless. Pain is the ruler.

I think maybe with pain you should stop and take stock and make some changes. My pain was extreme and I became depressed. I think diet could help with pain and healing and general well being. We are what we eat.

We need our comforts. I found it hard when it was cold living in a cold house. I suffered mostly before broadband as well so I didn't nearly have as much luxury that I do now with on the internet. The internet was different on dial up.

Is pain a birthright? Do we go through pain as an initiation into some secret.

Anyway what are your thoughts on pain considering how much or less you are going to suffer yourself?

I just come from hell with residual effects.

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
we've all suffered one way or another. i think it's necessary. i'm too sleepy to tell my story right now so i'll leave you with this:

With a moon half-empty
and a sky that's gone to waste
and the twilight offers cold embrace

the amber of autumn fades
and the greys of summer's mistakes
and the dreams we try to replicate...
they fall away

isn't this world something wonderful
that we were made to suffer - both it's honesty and cruelty?
today

with a heart half-empty
and a light I've yet to see
and the sadness takes a hold of me

and fire-white burns like...
agony.
entropy.

we all fall apart
to the cadence of our bleeding hearts
they fall away

that we were made to suffer - both it's majesty and cruelty?
they fall away...
and is grace not something beautiful, that we were made to suffer?
the lucid touch of clemency.

and our tears become a sanctuary - we are made to suffer
with tenderness and empathy.

we are made to suffer.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
Heb 2v10-18, 4v14-16, 7v25 states:

" For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me. Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted...Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need...Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them."

Yahweh Shalom...

P

psychomom

2 Cor. 4:5-12, 16-18

For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus’ sake.
For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.

But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;
we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;
persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.
For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.
So death works in us, but life in you.

Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.
For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,
while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

God may have many purposes in our suffering. If through it we may glorify God and advance the Gospel, it is well.

This life is but a blink of an eye.

~ellie

M

Mooky

we've all suffered one way or another. i think it's necessary. i'm too sleepy to tell my story right now so i'll leave you with this:

With a moon half-empty
and a sky that's gone to waste
and the twilight offers cold embrace

the amber of autumn fades
and the greys of summer's mistakes
and the dreams we try to replicate...
they fall away

that we were made to suffer - both it's honesty and cruelty?
today

with a heart half-empty
and a light I've yet to see
and the sadness takes a hold of me

and fire-white burns like...
agony.
entropy.

we all fall apart
to the cadence of our bleeding hearts
they fall away

that we were made to suffer - both it's majesty and cruelty?
they fall away...
and is grace not something beautiful, that we were made to suffer?
the lucid touch of clemency.

and our tears become a sanctuary - we are made to suffer
with tenderness and empathy.

we are made to suffer.[/QUOTE
This is magnificent.

May 15, 2013
Suffering awaken our spiritual nature that lies dormant in us. When someone love another is through suffering, and without suffering that person can't show any love at all, but they could only pretend to have concerns for one another and which pretending is a hypocritical act. It is written that we suppose to treat those the way we want to be treated and if we has went through suffering, we will know when we has crossed the lines with someone. I've notice when a person that is fighting for a cause (Like Mothers against drunk driving M.A.D.D.) that had went through suffering they are more passionate about the fight than the ones that are hired to help (They are there for the pay check). But when it get worst, the hired-hand will flee, for they were paid to pretend to show concerns or basically they were slaves.

J

Jullianna

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

For me, all things means ALL things, even suffering. I may not see the good in it when I'm going through the situation because the good that is coming from it is for someone else's benefit, not necessarily my own. Take Job for example. Job was a man of tremendous faith, yet he suffered greatly. But, to this day, his reaction to his suffering serves as an example to all of us as to how we should react to hard times.

Not once in my life have I ever been through a difficult time and did not find something better or grow tremendously on the other side of the thing. Most importantly for me, it teaches me COMPASSION toward others who suffer, whether they belong to Christ or not, enabling me to minister to them more effectively.

1 Peter is a good chapter to read on this topic.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
[h=3]John 16:33[/h]Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

[SUP]33 [/SUP]These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
I personally have suffered much here in this world, and have not given up as even Job never gave up, in the book of Job.
This to me is where trust comes in to God or not, no other way as I see it.
Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed

Belief in Christ brings suffering, and we are not a pert of this world when if we believe in God. Read Job and ask God to show you truth from suffering, what it does do.
What does not kill me only makes me stronger, and be afraid of the one that can destroy both Body and Soul, not just body.
Tragedies started at age 12, when I first believed, and have done many things wrong, and through it all I learned trust, to just trust God. For what is to come is much greater that what has been, through belief in God through Christ
Thanks, hope to have given you a new perspective in facing reality for it is what it is. And there is nothing I can ever do to change what has already been. And focusing on the tragedies that are, only derail one further into the depression that emotions bring.
Think for a minute and try to be angry without angry thoughts, is this impossible? with out the thought of, one can't react to it.
And so maybe if we change our thoughts, I bet we will change our feelings?

M

Mooky

@ homewardbound - what you say about us changing our thoughts and thus changing our feelings is both biblical and scientific.
Biblical because we are to be transformed through the renewing of our minds and scientific because cognitive behaviour therapy has proven results in the treatment of depression and other mood disorders.
Thanks for your honest and encouragaging post.

12tribes1King

I believe suffering makes you stupid and poor. It doesn't make your shine brighter. I would like to understand suffering and Jesus more. What is your opinion what is your truth. Tell me more about your experiences of suffering and Jesus and scripture.
1 Peter 4:
1Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; 2That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God. 3For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: 4Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: 5Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead. 6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

homwardbound

Oct 24, 2012
@ homewardbound - what you say about us changing our thoughts and thus changing our feelings is both biblical and scientific.
Biblical because we are to be transformed through the renewing of our minds and scientific because cognitive behaviour therapy has proven results in the treatment of depression and other mood disorders.
Thanks for your honest and encouragaging post.
Welcome, all I see is the way we all were designed; our mind's emotions predictably respond to what a person thinks about the most. So if stinking thinking is got a hold of me and it has in the past, I found myself most miserable, and could not change the way I feel, no matter how hard I tried. As a matter of fact all it did was get worse whenever I tried to not feel that way.
So I found out to trust what God has done (past tense) and this set me free in God. Yet around the corner comes the next tragedy, to try and stop me from being a joyful Soul. How many of us all have experienced this?
Now I found recently to this day, that all the enemy can ever do in using my emotions to de-rail me, is to find out what I like and adhere to on this earth, and use this to put me in harms way
2 Corinthians 10:4 (for the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)

The thought process of the mind is where the battle is, no matter what happens here in this world. How one feels about what ever has happened to them is the result of their own emotion(s) controlling them in that feeling of despair.
The only first thing I found is to accept what is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. No accept no get over and past.
Been shot, stabbed, choked to die, face and head bashed in, broken jaw top and bottom, lost all teeth, 4 immediate family deaths first started at my age 14. Was an alcoholic, did drugs, abused in service boot camp severely, and the last one was foreigners Gangrene.
Lost parts.
What does not kill a person can eventually get one to grow strong in God, if one will not stop to want to know God over this world; that is not of God. Many people though are of God and many are not.
Regardless, the only way one truly gets past and actually over them is to start with "ACCEPTANCE". Not shove it under the carpet and forget about it, and move on. Why? because it is always there ready to jump out at you and de-rail you in an instant. Ever gone off angry and not know why? Could it be these unsolved issues? waiting in hidden emotion to all of a sudden get angry with no apparent reason? Ever had that happen? and not understand why?
Past is past and it can't be changed can it? Paul says past is gone and moves on forward towards the mark of Christ.
Yet it can and does hang around as a residual, for thoughts to come up against others in protection for the self over past issues that were not good for us as we see it anyway.

Whether what has happened either good or bad "It is what it is" A quote I learned from Dr. Edelman, hope I spelled that right. That is the start to acceptance, then one can use whatever it is that they have left to use for the best as Helen Keller did, and many others that got through there tragedies and moved on to make the best out of what they got.

Another thing to think on, it is not a matter of whether we like what has happened to us or not. To think like that not like creates more negative emotions that de-rail us as to who we really are, and that is a wonderful person in God made by God through Son's resurrection in the Spirit of God dead to this world and flesh emotion negetivity