Suggestion for suggestions

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Siberian_Khatru

Unless I'm mistaken, the Suggestions thread is here for users to make recommendations to site staff in an effort to improve christianchat.com. Instead, I'm seeing some users use this thread as an avenue for handing out advice/food for thought to other site members.

This doesn't really bother me, but I was thinking perhaps the description for the Suggestions thread could be revised to better elucidate the purpose of it. That way, people can direct their advice in more suitable threads.

Again, no big deal to me either way. I just thought it would help direct traffic, so to speak.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

U

Ugly

I think the bigger problem is that its specific people mostly. Such as the one poster who keeps putting these long sermons in the new user forums. And another poster that puts them here. Some people either don't care, or don't get the idea behind sorting the forums. I often get the feel they think their message is so important it overrides the 'rules' of where to put things.
But it could be a good idea to improve things by renaming.

V

violakat

I think the bigger problem is that its specific people mostly. Such as the one poster who keeps putting these long sermons in the new user forums. And another poster that puts them here. Some people either don't care, or don't get the idea behind sorting the forums. I often get the feel they think their message is so important it overrides the 'rules' of where to put things.
But it could be a good idea to improve things by renaming.
Or we could just make a forum for long sermons.

L

LynnJ

When you see an inappropriate post, you can report it by clicking the button in the top right-hand corner, next to the Rep button.

U

Ugly

Violakat - But i get the feeling a few of these people wouldn't care about that. Thats why the post in the wrong place to begin with. I mean its not rocket science the 'new users' section isn't for sermons, but yet one person posts sermons there over and over regardless. Same with suggestions forum and prayer requests.
Seems to me the bible study would be the 'long sermon' area.

Lynnj - We're not talking about inappropriate posts, but people choosing to post in the wrong sections. Not sure that's really something reportable that mods want to fuss with regularly.

L

LynnJ

Lynnj - We're not talking about inappropriate posts, but people choosing to post in the wrong sections. Not sure that's really something reportable that mods want to fuss with regularly.
Thanks for the clarification. :)

S

Siberian_Khatru

This is true. I initially thought revising the description on the forums index page to clarify what kind of "suggestions" this thread is here for would help, but I've noticed said users that seem to have no sense of themselves. *facepalm*

It's worth a shot, if anyone is up for a quick edit. It could help, or it could be a moot effort.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I do occasionally move threads from here to a more appropriate forum.

S

Siberian_Khatru

*bump*

Instead of a description revision, what about simply renaming the thread to be more specific?

AlaynaJ

Staff member
Dec 15, 1999
Renaming the thread messes up the Google cache that has already saved it with the thread title... It's similar to the reasons why we will not delete forum posts.

I

iraasuup

I don't understand the confusion.

The main title says 'Suggestions' then UNDER IT is a description which reads:

'have a suggestion for christianchat.com? Post it here'.

That's fairly self explanatory. Every forum has a title and a description as well. I think people just need to slow down a little and take the time to read it properly.

U

Ugly

Thats the biggest problem over all on this site. A lot of things are pretty self explanatory if you just take a moment to stop and read. But most people just skim over things, missing more than they're learning, then come asking for help. I admit i did the same thing when i first started. But once i realized how obvious most of this stuff was, i slowed down and read and thought and was blazing through the site in no time.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I think people just need to slow down a little and take the time to read it properly.
♫ "Well I'd like to know where you got the notion" ♫ :p

Renaming the thread messes up the Google cache that has already saved it with the thread title... It's similar to the reasons why we will not delete forum posts.
Thanks a LOT, Google.