Sunday roast and the Sabbath

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
It is a bit confusing that Sunday is traditionally the weekly day of rest but also when the traditional Sunday roast is eaten, certainly in the UK.

Cooking, eating and washing up on a Sunday is actually a lot of work - at least in my house. Certainly not restful in that aspect!

I certainly enjoy it and look forward to it all week. It is our weekly feast.
When we attend church we still always arrive back in time to cook and eat it.

So how did the two traditions evolve together? What happens to those who observe the Sabbath strictly, do they not eat on a Sunday?

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Sunday roast? Y'all have a tradition of insulting people for comedy on Sundays? Weird...

Oh wait, wrong kind of roast.

Working hard on Sunday is a housewife's reality in a lot of families. So much for a day of rest.

So how did the two traditions evolve together? What happens to those who observe the Sabbath strictly, do they not eat on a Sunday?

Taking a day of rest is not really a tradition though. It's something God said to do. Sunday roast is a tradition. If you skip Sunday roast you can just open a can of beans or something. If you skip taking a day to rest you start developing all kinds of health issues that would never have cropped up if you had let your body repair itself once a week.

Moses_Young

Sep 15, 2019
It is a bit confusing that Sunday is traditionally the weekly day of rest but also when the traditional Sunday roast is eaten, certainly in the UK.

Cooking, eating and washing up on a Sunday is actually a lot of work - at least in my house. Certainly not restful in that aspect!

I certainly enjoy it and look forward to it all week. It is our weekly feast.
When we attend church we still always arrive back in time to cook and eat it.

I think Saturday is actually the Sabbath. Sunday is a day of worship, but is the first day of the week, so it makes sense that it can be busy.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I think Saturday is actually the Sabbath. Sunday is a day of worship, but is the first day of the week, so it makes sense that it can be busy.
That explains things, thankyou.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was raised in a very busy quite large family (thirteen people). Yes, we had a large Sunday dinner,
and sometimes many relatives joined us for that, or we them, but most of the work, the housework,
was done on Saturday. Food prep was a daily thing. No avoiding that! So was cleaning up afterwards,
but with so many girls to help and then the added women folk, it was made light.