Sweden’s New Gender-Neutral Pronoun: Hen

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

TheMachine

A country tries to banish gender.

I came across this article: Hen: Sweden’s new gender neutral pronoun causes controversy. - Slate Magazine

I looked up the info after hearing a radio documentary about what is happening in Sweden and I couldn't help but think it seemed a bit off.....

Then I read the article and really thought about this issue. Gender Equality is not enough....the Swede are striving for Gender Neutral status.

I had questions popping into my head. Am I doing wrong by my kids in promoting them to behave like young men?

Then the fog cleared and I can't help but think that a Young Lady behaving as such isn't a bad thing....and a young man doing the same is also fine. So why is Gender such a threat? I know several women in my field that have been selected ahead of men based on their gender in an effort for equality and or diversity. I know women that take equality to new heights by debasing men at any given chance. I also know men who behave absurd towards women. Their communication is sideways at best and they always complain that they can't figure women out!

So in a post on the family thread....what do you all think about Gender Equality and or Gender Neutrality? Is it good for our society or are the Swedes leading a parade to nowhere?

The Machine :cool:
Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?.....Michael Bluth

K

kenisyes

I've wanted gender neutrality in language for a long time. I resent being thought of as a man before I am thought of as Ken. Why can't we wait and look for God's perspective and what we can give others before we look for what role we play in a marriage with only one other person?

English and Greek have 3 genders. Hebrew, Spanish and French have only two (so is your table a man or a woman? How about your car, or your clothing?). There are Polynesian languages with as many as 16 (he, she, tools, food, chiefs, etc.).

G

gracethroughfaith

A country tries to banish gender.

I came across this article: Hen: Sweden’s new gender neutral pronoun causes controversy. - Slate Magazine

I looked up the info after hearing a radio documentary about what is happening in Sweden and I couldn't help but think it seemed a bit off.....

Then I read the article and really thought about this issue. Gender Equality is not enough....the Swede are striving for Gender Neutral status.

I had questions popping into my head. Am I doing wrong by my kids in promoting them to behave like young men?

Then the fog cleared and I can't help but think that a Young Lady behaving as such isn't a bad thing....and a young man doing the same is also fine. So why is Gender such a threat? I know several women in my field that have been selected ahead of men based on their gender in an effort for equality and or diversity. I know women that take equality to new heights by debasing men at any given chance. I also know men who behave absurd towards women. Their communication is sideways at best and they always complain that they can't figure women out!

So in a post on the family thread....what do you all think about Gender Equality and or Gender Neutrality? Is it good for our society or are the Swedes leading a parade to nowhere?
Gender neutrality is from satan as a way to justify a life of sodomy. God makes it clear there should be a discernible difference between a man and a woman. The only time God ever speaks of there being no difference is in his eternal kingdom.
Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

This is just one example.

J

Jordache

We are made in Gods image, both male and female. Genders were a part of Gods plan. Masculinity and femininity are both important The Lord. Both are a part of his image.

R

Red_Skull

I live in Sweden and personally I am disgusted by the word. The Swedish Church is even open to gay marriage and lets politicians decide the direction of the faith by having "church elections". May God have Mercy on this nation and its inhabitants.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
I think it is good to have a gender neutral word, where an undefined person, does not have to have a default gender.
As in "the person A, he went ..." or "the person A, she went ..."
The genderword "he or she" is wrong in 50% of the time, so a gender neutral word (that does
not debase like "it") would be very usefull in all languages.

R

Red_Skull

It's important to emphasize here that this word wasn't invented because of its alleged practical use in everyday conversation, but part of the modern decadent system of deconstructing everything that is traditional and sacred. There is even a preschool here that parents kan send their children to so that they will be raised gender neutrally. Both males and females are given dolls and action figures to play with and the pronoun "hen" is used instead of "han" (he) and "hon" (she).

presidente

May 29, 2013
English already has a gender neutral word 'they.' It has been used as a singular gender neutral word for years. We just have to get the people who write English language handbooks to accept it to save us from the unnatural practice of having to write 'he or she' all the time.

As far as gender neutrality goes, I think it's sick the Swedes are trying to brainwash their kids in this way. I hate it when a philosophy that is supposed to be about something good (like equality) is taken to extremes and used to justify idiocy. In the US, there was a Senator or Congressmen who promoted a draft that included women, for the sake of gender equality, I suppose. Getting away from women taking care of their children at home and having policies that promote it is damaging and foolish. Biology tells us that women are good at caring for babies and there are things that women can do naturally without any artificial help that men can't (giving birth and nursing and such).

J

Jordache

They is only technically a gender neutral word in the plural. Unlike common usage of the usage: "You see that girl over there? I bet they like chocolate.", THEY is only grammatically correct in the plural. There is no genderless pronoun in a singular form. This is the case in most languages also.

May 26, 2013
I think in Finland threre is only one word for gender. HAN goes for female and males.

R

Red_Skull

I think in Finland threre is only one word for gender. HAN goes for female and males.
Yes that is correct according to Google Translate, but with two dots over the A; HÄN.

presidente

May 29, 2013
They is only technically a gender neutral word in the plural. Unlike common usage of the usage: "You see that girl over there? I bet they like chocolate.", THEY is only grammatically correct in the plural. There is no genderless pronoun in a singular form. This is the case in most languages also.
The 'powers that be' have declared it grammatically incorrect. From a Linguistics point of view, language is what people speak. And there is written evidence of 'they' being used as a gender neutral singular as far back as the 1600's or 1700's if I recall correctly. Academics in the '90's began to insist on using the tedious 'he or she' in formal writing instead of 'he' for a gender-neutral pronoun. That's foolish if you ask me. They should have used 'they' to save us all a headache.

Maybe the queen of England has the power to change it. It used to be that way. Let's petition the queen.

Oct 31, 2011
I think we have to look at this through God's eyes. God gives definite divisions to everything. I can't think of one time God doesn't make the gender clear of anyone God talks of, even when women took over leadership roles like being a judge. And God is quite clear that unnatural mixing is against His Holy Spiritual Law. Look at the feet and toes of the statue of Nebuchadnezzar's dream made of clay and iron mixed. It was the chaos of combining things that shouldn't be combined that caused the destruction.

We can look at the results of unholy mixing in our culture's view of disregarding "the two shall become one" so marriage means little. That is caused by unholy mixing on a large scale, and the family as a dependable unit is gone. Even if a marriage stands up to it, it affects ever single extended family. God says there is no male and female in His eyes, but that applies only to our spiritual selves.

In the secular world it makes sense. With the breakup of marriage, women have to take over as head of family, and they need equal pay. Women are taking male roles more and more, yet the old way of family still is used in that they still are fighting for equal pay for equal work. Breaking the biblical laws has caused a world that requires more breaking those laws. Merry go Round.

God is the operator of our world, even if the secular world doesn't recognize that. Christians do. We need to stand firm against every step away from God.

W

wwjd_kilden

Gender equality, still needed many places. (IE there are still cases where men earn more than women for doing the same job...)

Neutrality... nope. Though I have at times wished I was a boy, I'm certainly not a hen :p

J

jimmydiggs

Gender equality, still needed many places. (IE there are still cases where men earn more than women for doing the same job...)
That''s not typically a result of mal intent.

A

amazed

God made gender, a man and a woman .. why would you want to be a "neutral".

M

Miri

I have a theory that if it is possible to get people to conform to a particular way of thinking, talking, and doing things etc then they are a lot easier to control and it also becomes a lot easier to identify and deal with those who won't conform.

I wonder if the gender neutral policy is part of this.

Jan 8, 2013
Gender neutrality is from satan as a way to justify a life of sodomy. God makes it clear there should be a discernible difference between a man and a woman. The only time God ever speaks of there being no difference is in his eternal kingdom.
Deuteronomy 22:5 (KJV)
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

This is just one example.
Amen!!!!!! You nailed it buddy!!! Amen!!!!! Amen!!!!

Jan 8, 2013
Its evil, and its conditioning the masses into perversion. Prayer for the small remnant in Sweden, the country has been given over to a reprobate mind (USA too) - God is sending strong delusion.