Tabernacle vs Temple

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 24, 2010
Would anyone like to explain the difference between these two important structures that played such an important role with the children of Israel?

Nov 29, 2012
The Temple was a building and the Tabernacle was a tent. They both had the same design based upon Moses' vision of the Temple in Heaven. God warned against building a Temple in Jerusalem, but David begged and God let him (or rather his son Solomon) build it.

As for the temples, there have already been three – Solomon, Zerubbabal and Herod. Some people try to say that Herod only upgraded Zerubbabal’s temple but the truth is Herod completely tore down the temple, enlarged the temple mound and built an entirely new temple in its place. Even the bible says the temple was only 46 years old when Jesus was there (John 2:20). Many try to say there has to be yet another temple in Jerusalem, but I don’t think so. There have already been three. There is also a Temple in heaven after the same design. Of course, now that the sacrifices are done, the temple is the temple of our bodies.

Jul 12, 2012
Observation...
The tabernacle can be taken to people.
The temple requires them to come to it.

The bodily temple can be much more versatile than either.

D

Disdame45

With the tabernacle, God's presence dwelt among the people, guiding them and leading them. They could tell when it was time to move on when they saw the cloud that covered the tabernacle of meeting being lifted up.

David did want to build a house for God and God spoke to David through His prophet, Nathan. Essentially, God said that from the time He led the Israelites out of Egypt until the time of David, He had never asked anyone to build Him a house of cedar. He further went on to talk about how He had been with Israel all that time. Then He said these important things:
Also YHWH tells you that He will make you a house. "When your days are fulfilled and you rest with your fathers, I will set up your seed after you, who will come from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. He shall build a house for My name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. ---- I think David mistakenly thought that this meant Solomon, his son with Bathsheba who actually did build a temple, but I believe God meant His Son, Jesus Christ, would be the one who would build the 'real' house and set up the everlasting kingdom.
The passage of David wanting to build the temple is found in 2 Samuel 7.

Stephen, in Acts 7:44-50, shows us what God's true tabernacle is:
"Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the wilderness, as He appointed, instructing Moses to make it according to the pattern that he had seen, which our fathers, having received it in turn, also brought with Joshua into the land possessed by the Gentiles, whom God drove out before the face of our fathers until the days of David, who found favor before God and asked to find a dwelling for the God of Jacob. But Solomon built Him a house.
However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says:
'Heaven in My throne,
And earth is My footstool.
What house will you build for Me? says YHWH.
Or what is the place of My rest?
Has My hand not made all these things?' - Isaiah 66:1-2

So what is the place now? Where is God's temple, where He dwells? Did not Jesus tell the woman at the well that the true worshippers of God will neither worship Him on the hills as the Samaritan woman's father's did or at the temple in Jerusalem as the Jews did? The true worshippers are worshipping God in Spirit and in Truth with their bodies, which are living temples. His Spirit dwells in them 24/7, leading them into all truth and righteousness. This is not something that man could build. God Himself accomplished this, as He said to David that His Son would build Him a house.

We are the body of Christ. We are the living temples.

P

psychomom

Let them construct a sanctuary for Me, that I may dwell among them. (Ex. 25:8)

And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

The word 'dwelt' is properly 'tabernacled'.

The Tabernacle was instituted by God with the idea that God would dwell in their midst.
He couldn't dwell in them because of sin.
The Tabernacle was flexible, and mobile.
The Temple, which was David's idea, was not.

Now it came about when the king lived in his house, and the LORD had given him rest on every side from all his enemies,

that the king said to Nathan the prophet, “See now, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of God dwells within tent curtains.”

Nathan said to the king, “Go, do all that is in your mind, for the LORD is with you.”

But in the same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, saying,

“Go and say to My servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD, “Are you the one who should build Me a house to dwell in?

“For I have not dwelt in a house since the day I brought up the sons of Israel from Egypt, even to this day; but I have been moving about in a tent, even in a tabernacle.

“Wherever I have gone with all the sons of Israel, did I speak a word with one of the tribes of Israel, which I commanded to shepherd My people Israel, saying, ‘Why have you not built Me a house of cedar?" (2 Samuel 7:1-7)

Of course, the Lord did allow the Temple to be built, but the New testament imagery, especially in Hebrews, speaks of the Tabernacle.
Why? :)
-ellie

P

psychomom

David also constructed a Tabernacle, though apart from 2 Samuel I can't find much about it.
But Amos prophesied regarding it, and it's repeated in Acts 15:

After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world. (v. 16-18)

Why is it the Tabernacle of David, and not of Moses, that is spoken of here?
David's Tabernacle was more accessible, from what I can see, and he introduced music (joy?) in the worship. (1 Chron. 16:4-6)

A

Abiding

The tabernacle of David is Jesus Christ who now sits on Davids throne
just put the cookies in my mail slot

P

psychomom

Chocolate chip?
Or peanut butter? :)

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Joh 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Joh 2:20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
Joh 2:21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

This passage has the possibility of a "both are true" perspective. The literal body/flesh of Christ (more like tabernacle) was raised in three of our days, and the temple of His body (all parts-us) is about to be completed (and we're really close to the start of the third day after Jesus died and rose again).

This is tabernacle in the New Testament
G4638
σκήνωμα
skēnōma
skay'-no-mah
From G4637; an encampment, that is, (figuratively) the Temple (as God’s residence), the body (as a tenement for the soul): - tabernacle.

This is Temple
G3485
ναός
naos
nah-os'
From a primary word ναίω naiō (to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple: - shrine, temple. Compare G2411.

1Pe 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

I'm going to be honest, and say that I do not see a united and completed temple of God in earth. I believe we are really close, and we are definitely approaching the third day since Christ (probably have 15-20 years before the start of the third day).
A completed and united temple of God in earth would be practicing all things common, no respect of persons, equality, well, and you know, laying down your life for your friends (loving your neighbor as yourself). The united and completed temple/body of Christ would be much more happy to suffer, and much more willing. I'm not judging anybody, I'm just saying that in general "christians" don't even know who they are, what their job is, and most have not counted the cost. I know I would love to unite, and would do anything to experience the power of unity in body, soul, and spirit.

Rom_8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
2Ti_2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Not popular, I know.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

1Th 3:3 That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.

2Co 6:3 Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:
2Co 6:4 But in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
2Co 6:5 In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
2Co 6:6 By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
2Co 6:7 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left,
2Co 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
2Co 6:9 As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed;
2Co 6:10 As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
2Co 6:11 O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.
2Co 6:12 Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels.
2Co 6:13 Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

Sorry twas so long, this is a sensitive subject.

P

psychomom

Rom_8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
2Ti_2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Not popular, I know.

Col 1:24 Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

1Th 3:3 That no man should be moved by these afflictions: for yourselves know that we are appointed thereunto.
I was just writing something up about the 2 Peter verses. :)
And not to worry...these 'momentary light afflictions' that produce in us 'an eternal weight of glory' are totally worth it! :)
-ellie