Taking God's Word as it is.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DorothyG

I take what God says as both literal and spiritual. God said He made the earth in His image, so we can look at the literal that happened and see the spiritual meaning behind it.

I also don't think that God stated that he completely created everything in seven days. Many have decided that is God's statement, they believe the scientist and decide, on the basis of that to not believe anything of God. Ridiculous. Scripture says that on the first day God tells us about there was a world of only darkness, with that darkness being something of ignorance, misery. Then God created light made of the opposite of that darkness and called it the first day.

The first people to hear these words had no interest in learning of a time schedule of the Lord, they were interested only in that God created the world. I don't think that what God wanted us to understand from all this was a time schedule or how to do it report, only that God created it. Often scripture tells us what we need to know without filling in the details. Personally, I have decided not to stand firm on the details, only on what God tells us to understand.

It also seems unreasonable to me that people who say they believe in the literal seven days from start to finish also stand firm on rejecting what God says about the day of rest!

Don't forget Genesis 1:5

God called the light “day” and the darkness “night.” And evening passed and morning came, marking the first day.

Also, God gave us the Sun and the Moon to help us keep track of day and night. So we know that day and night are a period of time approximately 24 hours. He explains that in Genesis 1:14

Then God said, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. Let them be signs to mark the seasons, days, and years."

Like the second frame of the comic depicts, when believers take sides with theories such as evolution and millions of years we compromise our unity as The Church and our focus is diverted from the main issue: SIN.

We know that originally, God's creation was good. Without the effects of Sin. We also know that Adam and Eve ate to fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and their eyes were opened. They sinned. Creation fell. That's why God sent his Son for us, to fix the problem of man's separation from God.

When one takes on the view of evolution, this suggests that the effects of sin (death, decay, violence, bloodshed, etc.) were existent before man ever came about on the Earth. Which makes no sense. The only reason we have death, decay, violence, bloodshed, etc. is because of the Sin that Adam and Eve committed.

I encourage anyone who is willing, to read this: Chapter 6: Genesis Does Matter - Answers in Genesis

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 2, 2013

Also, God gave us the Sun and the Moon to help us keep track of day and night. So we know that day and night are a period of time approximately 24 hours. He explains that in Genesis 1:14

You may just want to say we know that it is one solar day. (I know, I know, picking nits, but we are told it is a solar day-day and night. We assume that it is about 24 hrs. And it is a fair assumption, but that is different than "know".)

D

DorothyG

You may just want to say we know that it is one solar day. (I know, I know, picking nits, but we are told it is a solar day-day and night. We assume that it is about 24 hrs. And it is a fair assumption, but that is different than "know".)

If Genesis 1 is not literally true, then what part of the Bible is?

D

DorothyG

"If you really believed Moses, you would believe me, because he wrote about me. But since you don’t believe what he wrote, how will you believe what I say?” (John 5:46-47 NLT)

Nov 23, 2013
That, I think, is probably the most important consideration here. If Christians are primarily interested in maintaining faith in the Bible as the inerrant word of God then of course it's important that they believe in a literal creation story. If, on the other hand, Christians are primarily interested in whether or not the Bible is true, then other things must be taken into consideration - such as how the Bible tracks reality.

I suppose the essential question then becomes what do we want from our faith?

T

Tintin

What I want to know is - who came up with the nonsense that Genesis 1:1 to 1:2 indicates God created everything, and then recreated it after Satan fell from Heaven? No! The first verse just introduces the fact that God created the universe and everything in it. The following verses go into more detail. That's it.

C

CRC

How Long Is a Genesis “Day”?
Many consider the word “day” used in Genesis chapter 1 to mean 24 hours. However, in Genesis 1:5 God himself is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion “day.” In Genesis 2:4 all the creative periods are called one “day”: “This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day [all six creative periods] that God made earth and heaven.”
The Hebrew word yohm, translated “day,” can mean different lengths of time. Among the meanings possible, William Wilson’s Old Testament Word Studies includes the following: “A day; it is frequently put for time in general, or for a long time; a whole period under consideration . . . Day is also put for a particular season or time when any extraordinary event happens.”1 This last sentence appears to fit the creative “days,” for certainly they were periods when extraordinary events were described as happening. It also allows for periods much longer than 24 hours.
Genesis chapter 1 uses the expressions “evening” and “morning” relative to the creative periods. Does this not indicate that they were 24 hours long? Not necessarily. In some places people often refer to a man’s lifetime as his “day.” They speak of “my father’s day” or “in Shakespeare’s day.” They may divide up that lifetime “day,” saying “in the morning [or dawn] of his life” or “in the evening [or twilight] of his life.” So ‘evening and morning’ in Genesis chapter 1 does not limit the meaning to a literal 24 hours.

Dec 2, 2013

I believe that Genesis is literally true. I am pointing out that you are adding words to it that aren't there. Genesis tells us that it is one solar day; day,night.

Dec 2, 2013
How Long Is a Genesis “Day”?
Many consider the word “day” used in Genesis chapter 1 to mean 24 hours. However, in Genesis 1:5 God himself is said to divide day into a smaller period of time, calling just the light portion “day.” In Genesis 2:4 all the creative periods are called one “day”: “This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day [all six creative periods] that God made earth and heaven.”
The Hebrew word yohm, translated “day,” can mean different lengths of time. Among the meanings possible, William Wilson’s Old Testament Word Studies includes the following: “A day; it is frequently put for time in general, or for a long time; a whole period under consideration . . . Day is also put for a particular season or time when any extraordinary event happens.”1 This last sentence appears to fit the creative “days,” for certainly they were periods when extraordinary events were described as happening. It also allows for periods much longer than 24 hours.
Genesis chapter 1 uses the expressions “evening” and “morning” relative to the creative periods. Does this not indicate that they were 24 hours long? Not necessarily. In some places people often refer to a man’s lifetime as his “day.” They speak of “my father’s day” or “in Shakespeare’s day.” They may divide up that lifetime “day,” saying “in the morning [or dawn] of his life” or “in the evening [or twilight] of his life.” So ‘evening and morning’ in Genesis chapter 1 does not limit the meaning to a literal 24 hours.
When yohm is qualified with night and day and then a 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day it means a literal day. It was understood to mean that during the times when the people used it and all the way until the age of enlightenment when men tried to fit it their paradigm with the bible.