Taking the bull by the horns...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
I go to a church where the leadership has a hard time getting tasks completed. It's a very small church, and we do not have a secretary or administrator. The Pastor is VERY part-time and not good with administration either.

Today, I took the bull by the horns and completed a church task that was supposed to be done about 6 months ago. In my frustration, I did it on my own and of my own volition and with no direction from leadership.

So, have I really cooked my goose? Have I gone against Scripture? Will leadership be ticked off at me?

S

Share55

Well I don't know but I'll forgive you for being helpful. In the churches I've been to there are always so thankful for willing spirits to lend a hand of their own volition and then there are churches that have to pay everyone for every little thing they do.
When you give in secret God sees and will bless you. He says not to make a show else you have already received your reward.

K

kenisyes

The very fact that you raise the issue shows you have enough wisdom to realize that many churches do not let God lead. Is the fruit of what you did good? if it is, and you get in trouble, you know it's time to find a new church.

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Interesting perspective, kenisyes. The fruit is definitely good. We'll see if I get castigated tomorrow! But I am with you in this: if they make a real big fuss, it will be an indication to me that it is time to seek a new place to worship.

K

kenisyes

Interesting perspective, kenisyes. The fruit is definitely good. We'll see if I get castigated tomorrow! But I am with you in this: if they make a real big fuss, it will be an indication to me that it is time to seek a new place to worship.
Feel free to keep us posted.

M

Mammachickadee

If you don't mind my asking... what exactly did you take charge of that they could possibly object to?

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
Well, there was a small yard sign at the end of the road on which our church is located. It was damaged by some snowplows last January and was removed. A replacement had never been ordered or put back (even though I was told numerous times that someone was taking care of it), so I ordered one, paid for it myself, and put it at the end of the road. It took me maybe 3 hours to complete the task from beginning to end -- I don't know why the person who was supposed to do it never did it.

It really frustrated me because I keep hearing from leadership that they want the church to grow, but they don't do something simple and inexpensive (it cost me $35) as that. I'm truly hoping it will open a dialogue so that the church discusses in an honest way what their goals are and how they want to achieve them. We'll see what happens tomorrow!

Dec 19, 2009
I go to a church where the leadership has a hard time getting tasks completed. It's a very small church, and we do not have a secretary or administrator. The Pastor is VERY part-time and not good with administration either.

Today, I took the bull by the horns and completed a church task that was supposed to be done about 6 months ago. In my frustration, I did it on my own and of my own volition and with no direction from leadership.

So, have I really cooked my goose? Have I gone against Scripture? Will leadership be ticked off at me?
Not knowing the details, I would say, "Keep it up."

santuzza

Feb 12, 2013
For those of you curious, I was thanked for taking the initiative and it did lead to a discussion regarding church tasks. All in all, a positive experience! Yay! Hopefully leadership now knows they can ask me to help in any task and get it done.