Taming the Tongue

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

cmarieh

Before I share this with you all, I need to apologize as I don't mean to sound critical or judgmental, however tonight the Lord impressed upon me to share this with you during my nightly read.

James 3:1-12
3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. [SUP]2 [/SUP]For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.

See how great a forest a little fire kindles! [SUP]6 [/SUP]And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. [SUP]9 [/SUP]With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. [SUP]10 [/SUP]Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? [SUP]12 [/SUP]Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.

It really bothers me when I see people on CC tear each other down, when the bible clearly teaches us to love and encourage each other. I mean, I understand we may have different beliefs, but I want each of you to remember that we all are brothers and sisters in Christ. Just remember our mouth is like a tube of toothpaste and what comes out of it is like the toothpaste. When you squeeze too much toothpaste you can't put it back, can you? Well, that is much like what we speak you can't take the words back no matter how much you want to. You may apologize up and down, but you can't take the words back. The neat advantage we have is that God as our savior is the price of sin has already been paid and all we have to do is ask our heavenly father for forgiveness and turn away from the sin.

Just think of all the problems we could have avoided in life by keeping our mouth shut. It could be churches, marriages, and entire communities could experience deep and lasting healing if people learned to speak words that build each other up instead of tearing each other down. God has placed awesome power in the tongue. Demon-possessed men have seduced nations with their tongues, while great evangelists have led millions to Christ using theirs. God wants His people to have their tongues under the control of the Holy Spirit.

I know that before I post anything I pray and ask God if he would want me to and that it comes across in love and understanding to my beautiful family here because after all I do love you all so much. Don't get me wrong, I struggle with all this stuff as well and I strive to show humility in everything I do, so again I apologize if I came across as being judgmental.

A

AgnusDei

Keeping my mouth shut saved me from many many problems these two years.

I used to speak nonsense a lot. And I can be tempted to speak barbarian stupidities still...but taming the tongue is much better. I simply shut up. I think it is better in many ways. I will go to the practical way. It helps a lot.

I will dig further in that verse. Thank you for that!

C

cmarieh

Keeping my mouth shut saved me from many many problems these two years.

I used to speak nonsense a lot. And I can be tempted to speak barbarian stupidities still...but taming the tongue is much better. I simply shut up. I think it is better in many ways. I will go to the practical way. It helps a lot.

I will dig further in that verse. Thank you for that!
I am thankful that verse helped you. I know that I struggle with this too and God is in the middle of teaching me some amazing things and I am looking forward to see the outcome of seeing what God will mold me into. One of the many things he is teaching me is to be quick to listen and slow to speak. May God Bless You

A

AgnusDei

I am thankful that verse helped you. I know that I struggle with this too and God is in the middle of teaching me some amazing things and I am looking forward to see the outcome of seeing what God will mold me into. One of the many things he is teaching me is to be quick to listen and slow to speak. May God Bless You
God Bless you as well!

Jul 25, 2013
Like Jesus, I don't sugarcoat my words, I say it like it is.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Before I share this with you all, I need to apologize as I don't mean to sound critical or judgmental, however tonight the Lord impressed upon me to share this with you during my nightly read.

James 3:1-12
3 My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. [SUP]2 [/SUP]For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. [SUP]3 [/SUP]Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body. [SUP]4 [/SUP]Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires. [SUP]5 [/SUP]Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things.

See how great a forest a little fire kindles! [SUP]6 [/SUP]And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. [SUP]7 [/SUP]For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. [SUP]8 [/SUP]But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. [SUP]9 [/SUP]With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. [SUP]10 [/SUP]Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so. [SUP]11 [/SUP]Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? [SUP]12 [/SUP]Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.

It really bothers me when I see people on CC tear each other down, when the bible clearly teaches us to love and encourage each other. I mean, I understand we may have different beliefs, but I want each of you to remember that we all are brothers and sisters in Christ. Just remember our mouth is like a tube of toothpaste and what comes out of it is like the toothpaste. When you squeeze too much toothpaste you can't put it back, can you? Well, that is much like what we speak you can't take the words back no matter how much you want to. You may apologize up and down, but you can't take the words back. The neat advantage we have is that God as our savior is the price of sin has already been paid and all we have to do is ask our heavenly father for forgiveness and turn away from the sin.

Just think of all the problems we could have avoided in life by keeping our mouth shut. It could be churches, marriages, and entire communities could experience deep and lasting healing if people learned to speak words that build each other up instead of tearing each other down. God has placed awesome power in the tongue. Demon-possessed men have seduced nations with their tongues, while great evangelists have led millions to Christ using theirs. God wants His people to have their tongues under the control of the Holy Spirit.

I know that before I post anything I pray and ask God if he would want me to and that it comes across in love and understanding to my beautiful family here because after all I do love you all so much. Don't get me wrong, I struggle with all this stuff as well and I strive to show humility in everything I do, so again I apologize if I came across as being judgmental.
well, the main reason I myself am strong-tongued toward some on here is they are false-teaching , I mean bad false teaching, and need to be reprimanded . it is dangerous to let that kind of stuff go un-checked. very good and truthful post by you. good reminder.

Jan 25, 2015
Like Jesus, I don't sugarcoat my words, I say it like it is.
And just like Peter we all need a reminder that pride can be something not to beautiful... until the rooster crow three times and Yeshua meets us outside our fishing boat.