Tattoo

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

chris8854

Hey just wanted to know where you guys stand on tattoos, i was thinking of getting a cross just wanted your input on the situation?

BillyTheKid

Feb 17, 2009
The best thing is to remember this.....It is YOUR walk with God. Pray. Don't ask others. The debate on tattoos involves an endless circle of arguments involving misquoting scriptures and personal beliefs. God is the only one that can answer it. If you feel convicted about it, then don't do it. Simple solution. God Bless you.

A

Aqua_Girl09

I think asking others is a good idea simply because you will learn more and see more information from asking others. and ultimately everyone is going to do what they believe is best for them.

i'm still undecided when it comes to the tattoo question but i personally don't like the idea of something permanent on my body that i can't get rid of or take off when need be. (i'm doing the piercing thing instead)

B

basschick

Personally, I prayed and found a peace about the tattoos that I currently have long before I got them. The most important thing is that it is a personal decision between you and God, not other people.

However, I also have some advice before getting one, if you feel that it is right for you :)

First, really consider what it is you want to get and why. Figure out what it means to you, and how long that is going to last. You say that you may want to get a cross, so I think its kind of obvious why, haha :) My first tattoo was also a cross-and God is a huge part of my life and always will be, so I know the symbolism isn't something that I may regret later. I wouldn't get anything permanently on my body that isn't going to mean just as much to me 30+ years down the road! No butterflies or flaming skulls for me! Haha :)

Another thing I think is important in considering a tattoo is the placement. There are some areas of the body that change more than others throughout the course of life, and those changes may distort any kind of marking. Another reason placement can be important is whether or not you can cover it up with clothing. Sometimes visible tattoos can be frowned upon in the workplace, or can even inhibit you from getting a position. Also, it may be nice to be able to hide tattoos should there be a situation where it would be respectful to do so. For one of my best friends I was a bridesmaid and I covered up my tattoos for her wedding not because she asked me to, but because I did it out of respect for her and her family.

My last bit of advice is that if you do get a tattoo, make sure to look around and really take time to find the right artist. Shop around, look at portfolios, and if you can-speak with them about what you want and see what they have to say. For each of my tattoos I took in rough sketches and had them rework the images after telling them what I envisioned and what details were important, and where there was room for their creativity. Before doing so I looked in the portfolios to see how they did similar tattoos. I know that some people like to take in a drawing of exactly what they want-if that's the case, then still look at the portfolios. Look for the artist's coloring/shading ability. If you really take the time to look into it then you'll be amazed at all the differences and characteristics that are unique to artists that you'll find. This is something that is permanent, so its worth taking the time to find the best place to go!!

I hope that you pray and get the right answer for you! God bless :D

T

toysoldier1610

I have five tattoos.
God has yet to let me feel 'guilt' about them.
I've prayed, I've read, I've asked others.
The only time I hear or see any reason why I shouldn't is when someone else gives me their opinions, which ultimately don't matter.

:) be well,
carlie

K

Kooper

Well, I think that it'll be an awesome idea. But then again one of the posters did have a good point. Like, it would be okay to carefully consider if you really want to see that tattoo there for the rest of your life.

Jan 16, 2011
If it is what you want mate, go ahead get it. If its a cross and its visible alot that can even strike up a conversation about God for you. Not that you should need a body modification to talk about God to someone.

I personally do not want to modify my body with piercings and or tattoos. Based on how ive been brought up and a personal decision. My body is my temple so i try not edit it too much.

Though yeah mate go ahead if you really want it.

Jan 20, 2011
Ultimately Tattoos are an expression of self love. Tattoos are not bad, but do they help??? I think it is possible that having a cross tattoo could be a hinderance to real spirituality... after all what is imprinted in the heart does not have to be written on the skin. I have earrings, and several tattoos, none of which have ever helped my relationship with God.

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD." - Leviticus 19:28 NLT

B

basschick

The context of the verse from Leviticus must be taken into account-that passage was meant to keep the Israelites from affiliating with the cultic religious worship practices of the time that involved obtaining favor with the gods, both for themselves and those who had died. In today's culture and context tattoos no longer carry that meaning. Today they are a form of artistic expression. Also, we are no longer under the old covenant of the old testament, but through Christ we are under the new covenant.
The way I see it is that my body is a temple, and my tattoos are the stained glass windows :p

K

Kalyn7654

lol. I have a cross tattoo on my left arm, I got it about a year ago when I was struggling with following the lord. Well, you should treat your body as the temple of god, but it is no sin. Its just a decision in my opinion and whether you really want it. It will be there the rest of your life unless you pay hundreds of dollars for laser treatment, which doesnt exactly leave a complete fix of your skin. Its a personal decision, but I would recommend, don't get anything you may not want later or something that you will possibly be ashamed of. Such as a girlfriend who becomes a ex, or drug or gang related tattoos which shouldn't be a problem if your a strong christian. It really depends on you bro.

May 6, 2011
"Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the LORD." - Leviticus 19:28 NLT
Whenever people post that one just ask if they follow the rest of the levitical laws...they probably dont so they cant really pull out one to thrust on you. Besides in Galatians it says
2:16 16 know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in[d] Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

2:21 21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

3:6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”[c] 7 Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. 8 Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.”[d] 9 So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.
10 For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, as it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”[e] 11 Clearly no one who relies on the law is justified before God, because “the righteous will live by faith.”[f] 12 The law is not based on faith; on the contrary, it says, “The person who does these things will live by them.”[g] 13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”[h] 14 He redeemed us in order that the blessing given to Abraham might come to the Gentiles through Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.