The big Fight

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

adamrobertk

Manny Pacquiao will fight Floyd Mayweather in May in one of the richest sporting events of all time.

Purse split 60/40 for mayweather
Live gate expected to be $40 million
Multiple belts on the line
Expected revenue to exceed $200 million

Now for me the figures are extraordinary anyway. As a fight fan I've wanted this for years and the sheer numbers are stupid. However as a christian this fight has me really torn. I used to like an occasional gamble and this is really tempting me to have a $5 punt (I never bet more than $5 a month if i ever do)...
Is this a sign of the way the world is going, paying that much money to 2 guys to hit each other for the entertainment of millions when there is so much crisis in the world. What does it say for people like myself who are more than likely going to pay $100 to watch the fight rather than give it to a good cause. I know people will be tempted to blame the networks for the obscene money but if people were not willing to buy it then it would not rake this in. Any christian thoughts from wiser people than me on the sheer enormousness of this fight, the sums involved and what it says for the world...

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
I never really understood how people can get so into something that requires two people to beat the snot out of each other. As far as this fight, it's just pathetic in my opinion. The sport of boxing is corrupt. Always has been. And the fact you have people like 50 Cent betting I think 1.6 million dollars on it only shows how much money this world wastes on nonsense like this fight. Imagine what 1.6 million would do for the homeless. But unfortunately that's not the world we live in.

V

Viligant_Warrior

Any christian thoughts from wiser people than me on the sheer enormousness of this fight, the sums involved and what it says for the world...
As a U.S. combat veteran, I suffered from PTSD. It led me to alcohol abuse, and, when I got a handle on that, I turned to disordered/compulsive gambling -- I didn't really have a handle on wrong decision-making, I just stopped deciding to drink. Drinking was a problem, but gambling nearly destroyed me. When I became a Christian, I came across this verse one day.

Colossians 3 NASB
5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.

Why do you gamble? Why did I gamble? Why does anyone gamble? We all like to say, "Its fun." "Its entertainment." "Its not hurting anybody." The truth is, however, there is only one reason we gamble, and that is, to get something for nothing. Unearned lucre is filthy lucre, and Paul says it is nothing less than greed, and that is idolatry. We put money in front of us, letting it come between us and God.

I would urge you to resist the temptation. Watch the fight, but just watch the fight. Don't have a dog in the hunt. I know you probably have never been out of control, and some people never get out of control. But who knows when you might prove the hypothesis wrong?