The book of Psalms

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
S

Samual

I recently started reading the book of Psalms and devoted myself (Or try to anyways) of two to three chapters a night. I keep noticing that at the end of a lot of the verses he says "Selah". Example is Psalms 24:6-This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob, Selah. I wanted to know if anybody could tell me what Selah means

L

ladylynn

Hi Samual., Selah means pause and think of that. The Psalms are really good reading. :D I've been memorizing Psalm 91.

S

Samual

Hi Samual., Selah means pause and think of that. The Psalms are really good reading. :D I've been memorizing Psalm 91.
Thank you, I've been trying to figure that out for a while. I just kind of blew it off the first few times I saw it then I started seeing it in like every other verse

Dec 12, 2013
It means to pause and ponder heavily what was written.....lynn is spot on....!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Psalms is my favorite book in the bible because david and I are so much alike. We are both so honest with God we pour our hearts out to him good and bad we both hold him in such high regard we both rely on him so heavily like an iron fortress and he both love and adore him so deeply plus we both are after his heart, I am a seeker of his own heart I have sought after it exhaustively I hunger for him deeply I crave and desire him with every fiber of my being with every cell in my body and I will chase him to the ends of the earth I dont care how far I have to go what I have to go through what I have to sacrifice in the end whether I am strong whether I had great faith whether I was holy or whether I was a (good Christian) he will be mine.

Jesus said if you hunger fr righteousness you will be filled, when I think of righteousness all I can see is him and I do indeed hunger for him so I will trust his promise.Psalms is the book that my heart seems to connect to the most, I call it the book of encouragement.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I recently started reading the book of Psalms and devoted myself (Or try to anyways) of two to three chapters a night. I keep noticing that at the end of a lot of the verses he says "Selah". Example is Psalms 24:6-This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob, Selah. I wanted to know if anybody could tell me what Selah means
i've been reading Psalms lately too. over and over -- isn't it wonderful!

i like to think of "selah" as "guitar solo" haha

as far as i know, it's not exactly clear what it means, but most agree that it's a musical notation that means "pause" or something similar.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
It is a musical term, indeed! The Psalms were meant to be sung, so there are little notes that tell what to do. In fact, in the Masoretic Hebrew Bible, they have all kinds of markings written as to how to read the OT. That includes voice rising, voice descending and pauses.

On the matter of reading the Psalms! Awesome job!

I have been reading at least one to five Psalms a day for over 12 years. The book is a great source of wisdom, consolation and joy for me!

S

Samual

Thank you guys for helping me understand this. I struggled with understanding a lot of things and I'm glad I can come here and ask and people can explain it

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
i guess that should technically be "lyre solo"

;)
Musical interlude? ;)

[video=youtube;C4qST8W3RPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4qST8W3RPQ[/video]

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Bless the Lord oh my soul...

[video=youtube;vSxocnIaN0A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSxocnIaN0A[/video]

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Psalm 1

Happy are those
who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on His law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.

The wicked are not so,
but are like chaff that the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous;
for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous,
but the way of the wicked will perish.