The Book or THE BOOK?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 24, 2012
Revelations 22:18 - "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (19) And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Many people will reference this when talking about "lost books" of the Bible and how they can't be true because they aren't in the Bible.

Isn't this passage talking about adding to and taking away from The Book of Revelations? (since the Bible isn't written as a book but a compilation of books?)

May 9, 2012
Revelations 22:18 - "For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (19) And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Many people will reference this when talking about "lost books" of the Bible and how they can't be true because they aren't in the Bible.

Isn't this passage talking about adding to and taking away from The Book of Revelations? (since the Bible isn't written as a book but a compilation of books?)
If you read the book in context, that verse is only talking about adding and taking away from the book of Revelation. It was not referring to the entire canonized Bible because it was obviously not canonized when Revelation was written. However, some people have assumed that adding and taking away from the entire Bible is what it means.

K

Kerry

The bible mentions many books that are not included in the bible. The book of Jasher, the book of Enoch, the book of the Kings and I think a couple more. But the Holy Spirit saw no need to include them into what we call the bible or the word of God. If they were of importance I think that the Holy Spirit would have seen to it that they were included. But, He didn't.

Can you get me some everlasting gobstoppers and an impulmpa. or however you spell it.

K

Kerry

How do you spell ompalumpa is it in websters?

K

Kerry

Bushido, I hope you know that I'm playing, nice pic though.

Jan 24, 2012
The bible mentions many books that are not included in the bible. The book of Jasher, the book of Enoch, the book of the Kings and I think a couple more. But the Holy Spirit saw no need to include them into what we call the bible or the word of God. If they were of importance I think that the Holy Spirit would have seen to it that they were included. But, He didn't.

Can you get me some everlasting gobstoppers and an impulmpa. or however you spell it.
Interesting you should say that. Both the original Catholic Bible AND the King James version had extra books that were later declared uninspired by the church, led by popes who were corrupt.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Interesting you should say that. Both the original Catholic Bible AND the King James version had extra books that were later declared uninspired by the church, led by popes who were corrupt.
they're also clearly labeled as "apocrypha" in the indexes of these printed bibles.

clarkthompson

Jul 8, 2012
they're also clearly labeled as "apocrypha" in the indexes of these printed bibles.
Yes, but some of them were decided by others to be including in the scriptures of the Old Testament. The aprocrypha was put with the bibles original to better understand the time of Christ, not because they were inspired or even completely true.

G

Graybeard

Just to correct you, it is not Revelations it is Revelation ......singular not plural

Jul 12, 2013
Scroll?

If you read the book in context, that verse is only talking about adding and taking away from the book of Revelation. It was not referring to the entire canonized Bible because it was obviously not canonized when Revelation was written. However, some people have assumed that adding and taking away from the entire Bible is what it means.
What she said!

:cool:

The Apocrypha Index

Deuterocanonical Apocrypha

Biblical apocrypha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pseudepigrapha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth and eat what I am giving you.” Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and lo, a scroll was in it. When He spread it out before me, it was written on the front and back, and written on it were lamentations, mourning and woe.

Sep 14, 2013

Is there an account of when god decided what books went into the bible? Who did he dictate this information to? Where is it written?

May 15, 2013

1 Corinthians 3:2I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready.