~ The Character of a Christian ~

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 1, 2011
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. ( Galatians 5:22-23 )

How will others know you are a true christian ? -

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. ( Matthew 7:16-20 )

there fruit (the way they live their lives ) is the result of their character .the inward condition of a person is seen in their outward actions.

people are either one of two types of trees -

1) Good tree ( Good Character ) - produces good fruit which is the fruit of the Spirit.

2) Bad tree ( Bad Character ) - produces bad fruit which is the works of the flesh.

Works of the flesh -

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
( Galatians 5:19-21 )

The fruit of the Spirit -

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Love ( 1 Corinthians 13:1-7 )

Joy ( 1 Peter 1:8 )

Peace ( John 14:27 )

Longsuffering ( 1 Timothy 1:16 )

Gentleness ( 1 Thessalonians 2:7 )

Goodness ( Galatians 6:10 )

Faith ( Revelation 2:10,17:14 )

Meekness ( Titus 3:2 )

Temperance ( 1 Corinthians 9:25 )

Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
( 2 Corinthians 3:2-3 )

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. ( John 13:35 )

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. ( Titus 1:16 )

How to produce good fruit -

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. ( James 3:17 )

Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
(1 Peter 2:1-3 )

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. ( Romans 6:13 )

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. ( Romans 8:13 )

That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
( 1 Peter 4:2 )

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. ( John 15:5 )

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. ( Matthew 22:36-40 )

Our good fruit affects others -

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; ( Colossians 1:10 )

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. ( Matthew 5:16 )

READ ( 1 Corinthians 12:14-27 )

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. ( Galatians 6:2 )

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another. ( John 13:35 )

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. ( Ephesians 4:32 )

Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. ( Romans 12:10-13 )

And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? ( Genesis 4:9 )

Our example can either be a help or a hindrance to our brothers or sisters in the Lord.

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. ( Romans 14:13 )

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. ( Galatians 6:9-10 )

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. ( 1 Timothy 2:9-10 )

He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. ( Proverbs 17:9 )

The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
( Proverbs 18:8 )

ways we can be a stumbling block -

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. ( Romans 14:21 )

As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

( Proverbs 11:22 )

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. ( Hebrews 10:25 )

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
( 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 )

A

AnandaHya

i like this post. don't really have a comment but wished more post like this one were on the top of the forum threads instead of the contraversial ones....

N

Nancyer

I liked this too, thank you. Uplifting posts are better than those that cause strife. Aren't we suppose to avoid strife? (As far as it depends on you, live in peace with everyone... Romans 12:18, I believe)

S

Saint-John

Fruits of the SPIRIT not your own but GODS HOLY SPIRIT which he gives by GRACE... if...you Believe(obey,trust in,rely on,etc) Faith you are saved (GODS FAITH not your own !! we go from faith:eek:urs to faith:his !)
Not just accept or aware Jesus is Christ but acts 2.38 mark 16.15-20

Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever BELIEVETH in him SHOULD not perish, but have everlasting life.
on that day you shall KNOW,I in the Father and we IN YOU..BECAUSE...I WILL MANIFEST MYSELF TOO YOU !
when you recieve the Holy Ghost you ARE going to KNOW ,not because you convince you or someone else (which is just religion..what Jesus had to combat) but he will convince you.
He does these things in you by his spirit which Jesus died to give..and we say thank you Father always.

C

Crossfire

How will others know you are a true christian ? -

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. ( Matthew 7:16-20 )

there fruit (the way they live their lives ) is the result of their character .the inward condition of a person is seen in their outward actions.

people are either one of two types of trees -

1) Good tree ( Good Character ) - produces good fruit which is the fruit of the Spirit.

2) Bad tree ( Bad Character ) - produces bad fruit which is the works of the flesh.

Works of the flesh -

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
( Galatians 5:19-21 )

The fruit of the Spirit -

Love ( 1 Corinthians 13:1-7 )

Joy ( 1 Peter 1:8 )

Peace ( John 14:27 )

Longsuffering ( 1 Timothy 1:16 )

Gentleness ( 1 Thessalonians 2:7 )

Goodness ( Galatians 6:10 )

Faith ( Revelation 2:10,17:14 )

Meekness ( Titus 3:2 )

Temperance ( 1 Corinthians 9:25 )

Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
( 2 Corinthians 3:2-3 )

They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate. ( Titus 1:16 )

How to produce good fruit -

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. ( James 3:17 )

Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
(1 Peter 2:1-3 )

Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. ( Romans 6:13 )

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. ( Romans 8:13 )

That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.
( 1 Peter 4:2 )

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. ( John 15:5 )

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
This is the first and great commandment.
And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. ( Matthew 22:36-40 )

Our good fruit affects others -

That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God; ( Colossians 1:10 )

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. ( Matthew 5:16 )

READ ( 1 Corinthians 12:14-27 )

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ. ( Galatians 6:2 )

And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. ( Ephesians 4:32 )

Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. ( Romans 12:10-13 )

And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? ( Genesis 4:9 )

Our example can either be a help or a hindrance to our brothers or sisters in the Lord.

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. ( Romans 14:13 )

And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.
As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith. ( Galatians 6:9-10 )

In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. ( 1 Timothy 2:9-10 )

He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth very friends. ( Proverbs 17:9 )

The words of a talebearer are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.
( Proverbs 18:8 )

ways we can be a stumbling block -

It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. ( Romans 14:21 )

As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a fair woman which is without discretion.

( Proverbs 11:22 )

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. ( Hebrews 10:25 )

Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
( 1 Corinthians 3:16-17 )

Great post Timothy! Much of the scripture that you've quoted, I've been studying on as of late. It's good to see that others on meditating on these verses as well! :)

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Many of my most loved, and often that which chastizes. :)
Thankyou Lord God for all given and known in your word.

Thankyou Tim for posting it all. :)

God bless
pickles

hellopeople

Jun 2, 2012
Thanks alot for this, this helped me, may God continually bless you in being learnt in scripture.

2 Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1 Timothy 4
16Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Check out Stephen in the book of Acts, God Bless.

Last edited:

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Excelent post:) I love how loving and supporting it is

B

BarlyGurl

I liked this too, thank you. Uplifting posts are better than those that cause strife. Aren't we suppose to avoid strife? (As far as it depends on you, live in peace with everyone... Romans 12:18, I believe)
Living in peace... as in make "allowance for anything" or " not purposing to wage war with habitual disagreements"?