The cross - faith and walking in righteousness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 24, 2015
The cross conquered death, conquered sin and set us free through faith.

Faith is our righteousness, but our walk maintains our faith the closer we get to a truly righteous walk.

Cleaning the inside and the outside of the bowl.
Can we be pure and holy?

We believe when we see Jesus we will be like Him, perfect, righteous.
How much you want to remain depends on how well you do getting there.

I think it will be very painful being a carnal christian, and your state will be not something to desire.

But if you walk in the Spirit, obey through the power Jesus provides, you will overcome.

But I get the impression very few believe this is possible because of whatever reasons.

So I was wondering do you thing before you die you will experience true purity and holiness of heart?
And if so, what can be do to help this walk?

Yonah

Oct 31, 2014
Either we believe Him or we don't, Php 1:6
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

T

thepsalmist

I AM pure and holy.

I am a new creation in Christ made Pure and Holy!!!

My old sinful nature was crucified with Christ.

This old nature is no longer "I".

"I" am a new creature in Christ.

Reading Romans 7 helped me to understand this ...
but God has his plans for each one of us
and He will lead you into all truths in good time.

He is the author and finisher of our faith! :)

Peace n Love~

Sep 4, 2012
I AM pure and holy.

I am a new creation in Christ made Pure and Holy!!!

My old sinful nature was crucified with Christ.
It was cut off and separated from you in the circumcision of Christ.

Sep 9, 2014

Faith is our righteousness, but our walk maintains our faith the closer we get to a truly righteous walk.

Can we be pure and holy?

I think it will be very painful being a carnal christian, and your state will be not something to desire.

But if you walk in the Spirit, obey through the power Jesus provides, you will overcome.

But I get the impression very few believe this is possible because of whatever reasons.

So I was wondering do you thing before you die you will experience true purity and holiness of heart?
It sounds like you are speaking of sanctification.
(Philippians 2:12, 13) 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.

Sanctification is a life long process and since we will have, and will be battling, our flesh until we discard this body of death, I don't think that we can wholly be pure and holy as a 3-part being. I do believe that we can experience true purity and holiness in our walk through a life of brokenness and repentance.

Feb 24, 2015
I thought some more about this idea, of partial purification.
It does not add up. Either you are pure or you are not.

That creates a serious problem. To enter heaven we must be sinless. Everything that causes sin will be removed.
Jesus extended this idea that if an eye or hand causes you to sin, lose it.

Now some talk about sin, in terms of intention, thoughts etc.
For the self condemning this can become an infinite self mortification cycle. That thought was sin, but I repent, and think it again, and sin, and can never get out of this, I am doomed.

It is not the thoughts that matter but fantasy actions. Emotional responses are who we are, how we build on them is how we choose to become. That very dwelling is sin. Someone did a test on themselves about road rage.
They got so angry with other drivers, that one day they found themselves outside someone elses car banging on the window. In there mind they had done this many times, but now it was real.

Cleaning your heart is part of walking with Jesus. Jesus is saying without doing this we are still in sin, still lost, and not walking with Jesus.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012

Can we be pure and holy?

That is really poorly worded, or a very misunderstood concept you've come to adopt. Righteousness is imputed to us through faith, and that righteousness comes from Jesus Christ. Faith is not our righteousness, it is the means to obtaining Christ's righteousness. As we gave Jesus our sins, He gave us His righteousness (I.e, we are justified before God).

Feb 24, 2015
That is really poorly worded, or a very misunderstood concept you've come to adopt. Righteousness is imputed to us through faith, and that righteousness comes from Jesus Christ. Faith is not our righteousness, it is the means to obtaining Christ's righteousness. As we gave Jesus our sins, He gave us His righteousness (I.e, we are justified before God).
There is no concept of Jesus's righteousness being imputed to us as our righteousness.
It is Jesus's righteousness that made his sacrifice as the perfect sacrifice for sin, of eternal significance.

Abraham believed God and it was reckoned as righteousness.
We also believe God so this same faith is reckoned as righteousness.

Why if we have righteousness through faith would we need Christs righteousness as well.
The only reason is because you believe a sinner christian is acceptable to God.

Where do you get this doctrine? Because you hold all sin is forgiven past, present and future.

I think this demonstrates your confusion as to what forgiveness and salvation is for. Jesus died to set us from sin, to walk in purity and righteousness. Now if this was a reality for you, you would not have to invent this future forgiveness of sin, because it would not be needed. So you admit Jesus's death was flawed and you are not an inheritor of His victory.

But this divide is what I want to explore and why you follow as you do. Is sin so intractable in your life or is your definition of sin purely your own condemnation and sense of failure? As you actually like a psychopath, incapable of good behaviour because your personality is impossibly distorted?

This goes to the core of this discussion. What is righteousness and what is sin? It appears your group just wants to accept failure and praise the Lord, yet claim you have a faith with power. Does not appear to be either morally real or with power over sin which separates us from God.

Feb 24, 2015
Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.
Rom 10:4

and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith.
Phil 3:9

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
1 Tim 6:11

Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
2 Tim 2:22

Dec 9, 2011

Can we be pure and holy?
GOD Is our righteousness and we that are reborn obtained grace and the measure of faith.Our walk doesn't maintain our faith but true faith will be expressed by the body that men can see and give GOD the glory.

When we were reborn the spirit of just men was made perfect.Paul said to present your bodies a living sacrifice which Is our reasonable service and to renew our minds so that we could prove what Is that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.

Feb 24, 2015
GOD Is our righteousness and we that are reborn obtained grace and the measure of faith.Our walk doesn't maintain our faith but true faith will be expressed by the body that men can see and give GOD the glory.

When we were reborn the spirit of just men was made perfect.Paul said to present your bodies a living sacrifice which Is our reasonable service and to renew our minds so that we could prove what Is that good and acceptable and perfect will of GOD.
Peter appears to be saying if we continue in sin, we are trampling on the cross. It is hard to not see this as saying our walk in sin is denying our faith.

Now some have argued that if you have a perfect walk from the point of repentance until you sin again, at which point you have lost fellowship with God, so until you repent you are lost.

I am suggesting it is faith that establishes the communion and through the cross obtains forgiveness. We do not have to prove ourselves by our behaviour, but our behaviour will either reinforce our faith or destroy it. I have seen people destroyed by their behaviour and not understood the connection. My own behaviour in the past stopped my fellowship with God and deadened my walk. We know inside the conflict of these two issues, and how real this is.

In all honesty how can one claim to walk with Jesus yet be a victim of slavery to sin? Either you will say it does not work, or you will work through your issues with Jesus and find a place of victory. There is a third option of saying Jesus won the victory but in heaven and not here on earth, we just have to live in failure. That is called hypocracy.