The dead do not Praise God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

many times i come into the forums and am completely overwhelmed by the lengthy dissertations i find here. i seldom read them or at least i quit before i get to the end. wouldn't it be more prudent to make your point concisely with references to your resource materials for those that are interested in finding the truth for themselves. a few quotes are reasonable but no one is going to simply take someone elses word for it without checking the source materials anyway. i'm not gaining much by skipping you over and i hardly think i'm the only one. why bother writing it if it's not likely to be read.
Imagine being in a formal debate with someone in real life.
Each side gets 10 minutes for rebuttal.
One side may give an exhaustive laundry list of assertions.
So long that it can't be covered in 10 minutes.
Once the person's 10 minutes are up, the other person could claim victory because so many of their assertions went unaddressed. Not because there aren't rebuttals, but because there wasn't enough time to address each one.

J

jerusalem

not living cease to exist

S

sunshinelovin1700

Re: The Dead do not Praise God

Yes only those who have breath can pray to God the Bible says when we die the spirit (breath of life) goes back to God who gave it. That means Jonah could not have prayed to God if he was dead.
I agree spirit and soul have 2 different meanings.

john832

May 31, 2013
31 But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God: 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.” 33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching. Mathew 22:31-33

How is it that Abraham, Issac and Jacob are all dead yet the voice from the burning bush says "I am (present tense) The God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob". Then Jesus adds. God is the God of the living not the dead. This passage is very clear to anyone with an open mind. Our bodies die but our spirit lives on. (2Cor.5:8) With out a spirit that survives death there can be no resurrection but becomes a re-creation or a copy of another body.
They are in the grave awaiting a resurrection...

Heb 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

They are dead, buried and awaiting a resurrection at the return of Christ.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

At the last trumpet, at return of Christ.

S

sonjohn

The Bible nowhere teaches that we have an eternal soul. The Bible never links the two words eternal and soul.
Ahh! Now I get it! A sadducee!

john832

May 31, 2013
The Bible nowhere teaches that we have an eternal soul. The Bible never links the two words eternal and soul.
Here is where the Immortal Soul Doctrine came from...

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

What did God say?

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

But some will argue that is just the body, what about the soul?

Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Eze 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The Immortal Soul Doctrine is just another false doctrine that Satan has deceived men into believing.

L

Laodicea

Ahh! Now I get it! A sadducee!
John 6:39-40 KJV
(39) And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
(40) And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
1 Corinthians 15:51-52 KJV
(51) Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
(52) In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

These texts are clear the dead are asleep until the last day, the last trump