The difference between the gospel and religion.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
Religion contradicts the gospel.. If you'll actually read the original post...lol. Theres a big difference.
Just gonna post this link here:
Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus — The Smackdown | Bad Catholic

I'll summarize the link for the lazy.

Jesus didn't hate religion, in fact, He established one and tells us to spread it around. In fact, He commands us to follow His religion, telling us that if we love Him, we should keep His commandments. The idea that religion and the gospel are at arms with one another is a false dichotomy and likely has the devil chortling in glee.

H

hislastwalk

I'm saying that there is a difference between true religion and false religion.. If people would take the time, and stop overlooking my point.

tribesman

Oct 13, 2011
This should be stated clearly, so that there can be no misunderstanding. We ought to be as clear and precise as possible, and give no uncertain sound.

If indeed there be a true religion, and - there be indeed such a one - then religion is not an evil thing in and by itself. Then statements such as "i hate religion...", should be retracted. One might say "I hate false religion", I'd join in to that.

I've seen much enough of "radical" (but immature) christians who think they are all so "on fire" to make would-be bold (but yet headless) statements like "I am not religious, I am christian", or "my christian faith is not a religion" or "religion is evil" etc. These people being often ignorant about the history behind the attacks on the word/term religion. and what kind of anti-christian forces that bolstered it.

This goes out to all who have a negative attitude towards "religion", to think twice.

H

hislastwalk

Well I hate false religion, that better?

lil_christian

Mar 14, 2010
I guess when I think of religion, I think of false religion. I do not think of Christianity. I think of people doing pointless rituals to get into heaven. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Christianity is a religion. To me, religion means that you do what you can to get into heaven. But Christianity is a one-on-one relationship with God. You do what you do because you love Him. Your works don't save you, Jesus saves you. Doing sinful actions doesn't really help you to bond with God, though. Just throwing that out there so you don't think I'm a person who thinks you can do anything you want and get away with it.

H

hislastwalk

I guess when I think of religion, I think of false religion. I do not think of Christianity. I think of people doing pointless rituals to get into heaven. Nowhere in the Bible does it say Christianity is a religion. To me, religion means that you do what you can to get into heaven. But Christianity is a one-on-one relationship with God. You do what you do because you love Him. Your works don't save you, Jesus saves you. Doing sinful actions doesn't really help you to bond with God, though. Just throwing that out there so you don't think I'm a person who thinks you can do anything you want and get away with it.
Exactly -_-

S

SantoSubito

Hmm, Christianity shouldn't be individualistic. It should be the community and their relationship to the Divine (you being included in the community). Or if you want a bumper sticker slogan; "Christianity, It's about US not I"

S

Seth

Hmm, Christianity shouldn't be individualistic. It should be the community and their relationship to the Divine (you being included in the community). Or if you want a bumper sticker slogan; "Christianity, It's about US not I"
The way I see it, is that when you become saved you're essentially adopted by God into his heavenly family. All people who're "Adopted" become brothers and sisters in Christ's forgiveness. God wants us to look out for one another, and help the broken.

Christianity's all about a personal relationship with the Almighty. Though, being in a group of fellow believers is awesome and all, one must be careful that their beliefs aren't just based on the social event. We're Christians for God, not for mankind.

I've been a Christian almost completely alone for the last 6 years. I can say that the community aspect is by no means essential. Because, community or not, if you die a child of God, you will inherit his kingdom.

On a hardly related note, there's tons of old people in my church. There's only two people my age, and a handful under the age of 40. I suspect that the folks in there are just going to church to "Cash in" on the going-to-heaven bonus. It's an offer one would be foolish to refuse if he or she were close to death. I have no evidence to support my theory though. But in my eyes, it makes sense..

----

"having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them." -2nd Timothy 3:5 NIV

I strongly believe that the sort of people who go through the motions of Godliness for their human peers to see are the bane of Christianity. It hardens people's heart to the true form of Christianity. Gives Christians and God a bad name.