The Fear of the Lord

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
H

hislastwalk

so lately God's really been dealing with me about the fear of God... so many times we fail to fear Him, yes he's all about love too, but without the fear of the Lord, his love almost becomes cancelled out in a sense. it's like, our generation has put this label on God saying "God loves you no matter what. You can still be gay. You can keep doing your drugs and smoking, he still loves you." He does love, but idk.. it seems like we should have a sense of fear (respect) and wake up and realize that He is GOD... He still loves, but if you don't fear him, then your not worthy of Heaven. I have a fear for my mom. It's not the kinda fear to where you scared he's gonna kill you, it's just, we need to realize, he's God, he COULD strike us down of he wanted to, it's like, we keep sinning, and yet, we go and put on a fake face at church. IT'S GODS HOUSE... in the bible times people feared the presence of God, why do you think when an angel came, it always said "fear not!" bc it's hard to be in the glory of God and just do nothing about it!

U

Ugly

This was very good. I've been thinking similar thoughts myself. I remember as a teen being a Christian and God seemed to be more varied concept. God could be God, feared, respected, and loved... he could be a Father, a friend, etc... but now God is just 'The Big Guy'.. or JC... seems few people show any sense of reverence for God and have made Him more of a buddy and a pal. Christ is treated like the 'cool guy' everyone wants to hang out with to make themselves look better, as opposed to the man that chose to be brutally beaten and murdered so we wouldn't suffer for our own actions and sin.

F

feedm3

God should be feared. The Bible tells us the "fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" - Psa 111:10.
I think the feeling you are having about this is because you recognize the lack of reverence in this generation. The fact is knowing the fear of the Lord is why we try and save the lost, convince those who are in error to repent, and examine ourselves constantly.
Paul said in 2Co_5:11, "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences." without the fear of God people will not obey him.
He said in Jn 14:15, "if ye love me keep my commands."
Heb 5:9 "..he became the author of eternal salvation unto to all them that obey him."
This means to obey in all things, not only what is convenient and easy for us.
So many are fooled in thinking we can live a life of sin, and as long as we believe will be saved. Not true; our belief makes us more accountable to His laws. Nice post you have, this kind of thought needs to be discussed.

S

Siberian_Khatru

I think the key here is fear of His judgment, not of Him. Nonbelievers will label that a scare tactic, but let them talk. Besides, why wouldn't one be scared to face eternal damnation?

H

hislastwalk

I think the key here is fear of His judgment, not of Him. Nonbelievers will label that a scare tactic, but let them talk. Besides, why wouldn't one be scared to face eternal damnation?
your suppose fear the Lord, no way around it.. I mean He's God, he could strike us dead if he wanted, we need to respect that when we watch tv, etc, and call ourselves Christians.

S

Siberian_Khatru

your suppose fear the Lord, no way around it.. I mean He's God, he could strike us dead if he wanted, we need to respect that when we watch tv, etc, and call ourselves Christians.
You missed my point entirely.

H

hislastwalk

You missed my point entirely.
well I'm not here to please non-believers.lol.sometimes the bible is harsh, and they don't like that.. they want a God who sugarcoats things.

S

Siberian_Khatru

. . .they want a God who sugarcoats things.
While this has nothing to do with what we were discussing, it's true. My pastor points out the same thing. Some try to tailor their interpretation of Scripture to what seems more appropriate/proportionate in their frame of mind.

Shame!