The Five Senses

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
I cannot see
The beauty that the world sees
I cannot watch magazines
And see pretty the way you see
I cannot taste
The sweetness that you pour
Like chocolate syrup over your toast
My taste buds are scoured
I cannot hear
Or I forget instantly the joke
When your humor lifts my mouth
In vain, my lips are broke
I cannot smell
The flowers you put in my hair
When we pass putrid flesh
In trash bags that rot there
I cannot feel
Your skin against mine
It was never there but I imagined
Your comforting hand intertwined

I have a heart
So I am losing my five senses
I am losing my compass
But I don’t think it was that big a loss

P

psychomom

Rachel, i miss you!!

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
Ellie!!!

I love you <3

Hope you are doing well, you dear, wonderful kind lady! ^_^

PS - yay!!! You missed me!!!! *happy dance* !

Rachel20

May 7, 2013
About the Poem -

This is one of my most "angsty" poems.

It's a personal reflection of how I feel - growing up in a country where people don't get even three meals a day. A place where great poverty exists side by side with wealth - a paradox.

At the time of writing this poem, I was afraid of being "numbed" by whatever I saw. I did not want to become apathetic.

This poem expresses a disconnection - not to the misery around me but to the outside frivolity and physical pursuits that coincide with the interests of the majority of my age group and indeed, the whole world.

The paradox in itself is the losing of the physical while gaining new ones. This is what I meant to convey in the last stanza.

It's no big deal to separate ourselves from that:) [ we are new creatures in Christ! ]

The failure of the physical senses is nothing compared to the dulling of the senses of the soul. The empathy, the compassion and love for others as well as our faith and trust in God should be our guiding beacons.