The Fuller's Soap

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
L

Least

I was looking at the verses that go into "fullers" and "fuller's soap," yesterday and found this definition of what a "fuller," is
and does.

Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Fuller

Fuller [N] The word "full" is from the Anglo-Saxon fullian, meaning "to whiten." To full is to press or scour cloth in a mill. This art is one of great antiquity. Mention is made of "fuller's soap" ( Malachi 3:2 ), and of "the fuller's field" ( 2 Kings 18:17 ). At his transfiguration our Lord's rainment is said to have been white "so as no fuller on earth could white them" ( Mark 9:3 ). En-rogel (q.v.), meaning literally "foot-fountain," has been interpreted as the "fuller's fountain," because there the fullers trod the cloth with their feet.

Malachi 3:2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' soap:
Malachi 3:3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the LORD an offering in righteousness.

2 Kings 18:17 And the king of Assyria sent Tartan and Rabsaris and Rabshakeh from Lachish to king Hezekiah with a great host against Jerusalem. And they went up and came to Jerusalem. And when they were come up, they came and stood by the conduit of the upper pool, which is in the highway of thefuller's field.

Mark 9:3 And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them

I also spent some time looking into ("En-Rogal") which means literally, "foot fountain." Anyway, I get automatic verses each day in my email, and this is what today's verses said.

Micah 7:18-19
18 Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. 19 You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea.

There's so much more on this in the scriptures...but I'll leave it here for anyone who might have any interest in sharing on this and for any who might like to look into these things.

M

Miri

I did find the information below if it helps. Not sure if the same process was used in bible times.
its interesting though that it concerns cleaning the wool of sheep/ garments spun etc.

Mark 9:3 NKJV - transfiguration of Jesus
[3] His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.

Isaiah 64:6 NKJV
[6] But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.

Isaiah 1:18 NKJV
[18] "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

The Worst Jobs In History

The Fuller
"When sheep were sheared, the wool was carded, spun into yarn, and then woven. To make the weaving process easier, the natural grease (lanolin) was left in the wool, but this made the resulting cloth coarse with large holes in the mesh. So it was the Fuller’s job to “full” or pound and clean off the grease and other impurities from the cloth.

Soaking the fabric made it softer, shrank it to close the holes and make it thicker, and trampling meshed the wool fibers together to make them stronger and less likely to fray. The solution in which the loosely woven cloth was soaked needed to be alkaline in order to break down the grease, and the cheapest form of alkaline solution available was stale urine. The Fuller had to obtain gallons of urine from the neighboring farms and private houses. Not only was the job revolting, it was mind-bogglingly monotonous, taking 7-8 hours of trodding in place to produce a piece of finished cloth.
If your surname is Fuller, Tucker, or even Walker, one of your distant ancestors worked in the wool industry and spent every day trudging up to their knees in stale human urine."

M

Miri

Incidentally , I know some are sceptical about dreams but I included the following dream I had in my testimony.
If this is even slightly representative of the transfiguration, then it would have been a sight too awsome to
accurately describe.

Shortly after this I started to have what I have come to think of as Godly dreams. I can only remember one of
these dreams as a child. In it I was outside playing skipping and Jesus was standing next to me. In the dream
I looked at him and said I loved him. He smiled then started to glow and shine until he became brilliant white
then disappeared from view. As a child I use to think this was what the disciples saw during the transfiguration.

Mar 3, 2013
This is very interesting and when I read the op, the first thing that came to mind was how the cloth being whitened by the fuller and the silver being refined both underwent severe measures to be made white or purified, as the silver.

L

Least

I did find the information below if it helps. Not sure if the same process was used in bible times.
its interesting though that it concerns cleaning the wool of sheep/ garments spun etc.

Mark 9:3 NKJV - transfiguration of Jesus
[3] His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.

Isaiah 64:6 NKJV
[6] But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.

Isaiah 1:18 NKJV
[18] "Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool.

The Worst Jobs In History

The Fuller
"When sheep were sheared, the wool was carded, spun into yarn, and then woven. To make the weaving process easier, the natural grease (lanolin) was left in the wool, but this made the resulting cloth coarse with large holes in the mesh. So it was the Fuller’s job to “full” or pound and clean off the grease and other impurities from the cloth.

Soaking the fabric made it softer, shrank it to close the holes and make it thicker, and trampling meshed the wool fibers together to make them stronger and less likely to fray. The solution in which the loosely woven cloth was soaked needed to be alkaline in order to break down the grease, and the cheapest form of alkaline solution available was stale urine. The Fuller had to obtain gallons of urine from the neighboring farms and private houses. Not only was the job revolting, it was mind-bogglingly monotonous, taking 7-8 hours of trodding in place to produce a piece of finished cloth.
If your surname is Fuller, Tucker, or even Walker, one of your distant ancestors worked in the wool industry and spent every day trudging up to their knees in stale human urine."
Great verses Miri! They go right into being cleansed in Christ.

The part in the definition, "En-rogel," meaning, "foot-fountain," brought a few things to mind about the process of that cleansing and abiding.

When Jesus washed the disciples feet:

John 13:6 Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
John 13:7 Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
John 13:8 Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
John 13:9 Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

Also at the temple door, the priests were to wash their hands and feet before they entered. The way that it was all set in place is an amazing picture, from atonements, to washing at the laver to entering in, and all of the parts inside of the temple.

Job 29:6 When I washed my steps with butter, and the rock poured me out rivers of oil;
Job 29:7 When I went out to the gate through the city, when I prepared my seat in the street!

The next verses are part of the blessings that Moses spoke over the people of Israel before his death. This part reminds me of what Jesus said to the disciples after He washed their feet. "let him be acceptable to his brethren," and Ye also ought to wash one another's feet."

Deuteronomy 33:24 And of Asher he said, Let Asher be blessed with children; let him be acceptable to his brethren, and let him dip his foot in oil.
Deuteronomy 33:25 Thy shoes shall be iron and brass; and as thy days, so shall thy strength be.

John 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
John 13:15 For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.

Ephesians 1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
Ephesians 1:23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

And in Hebrews it says this:

Hebrews 2:8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him.
Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.

What a job for the fuller's huh? I saw a documentary about Pompeii not too long ago and they were showing what the lives of the people must have been like during that time period. 'Urine," was used for laundering then too because of the high concentration of ammonia. Ewwww. I'm so glad that we have better ingredients for laundry today...

Incidentally , I know some are sceptical about dreams but I included the following dream I had in my testimony.
If this is even slightly representative of the transfiguration, then it would have been a sight too awsome to
accurately describe.

Shortly after this I started to have what I have come to think of as Godly dreams. I can only remember one of
these dreams as a child. In it I was outside playing skipping and Jesus was standing next to me. In the dream
I looked at him and said I loved him. He smiled then started to glow and shine until he became brilliant white
then disappeared from view. As a child I use to think this was what the disciples saw during the transfiguration.
What a wonderful dream! Thank you for sharing both your dream and the verses.

Job 33:14 For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not.
Job 33:15 In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed;
Job 33:16 Then he openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction,

L

Least

This is very interesting and when I read the op, the first thing that came to mind was how the cloth being whitened by the fuller and the silver being refined both underwent severe measures to be made white or purified, as the silver.
Good point just-us-2, Even the way that Malachi words it: "Who shall abide the day of His coming" Mal 3:2-3

There's so much throughout the scriptures on this subject. Purging and cleansing along with the verses about the Authority of Christ as "all things have been put under His feet," and in Hebrews 2:8 it says the same, "and left nothing that is not put under Him", and then it says "but now we see not all things put under Him."

What I'm seeing in it is this:

All things are in subjection to Him, "all things were made by Him, and by Him all things consist." (colosians 1:17)

Because of His goodness, mercy, grace and patients, He getting us inline with Him and His will through that process of being cleansed/purged.

It just occurred to me that even the description that Mira posted of the fuller's job, it must have smelled terrible...

That reminds me of passages where people were living contrary to God, and the "stench to His nostrils," in different references. Very interesting....

Mar 4, 2013
Strong's concordance # 1287 = sope. This is where we have gotten the more modern word for soap. As we will read, this cleansing is also compared with the refiners fire, as Jesus' ability (defined by John the baptist) that Christ would baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire.

“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' sope:” Malachi 3:1-2

1287 boriyth bo-reeth' feminine of 1253; vegetable alkali:--sope.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong's concordance # 1253
Therefore saith the Lord, the Lord of hosts, the mighty One of Israel, Ah, I will ease me of mine adversaries, and avenge me of mine enemies: And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: Isaiah 1:24-25

1253 bor bore the same as 1252; vegetable lye (from its cleansing); used as a soap for washing, or a flux for metals:--X never so, purely.

Fluxes may have more than one function at a time. They are used in both extractive metallurgy and metal joining such as welding metal together. Therefore, as God can separate us from corruption, He is able to adhere us together with Him, and with both processes make us clean through Christ simultaneously.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong's concordance # 1305
And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me; Isaiah 49:2

Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand. Daniel 12:10

1305 barar baw-rar' a primitive root; to clarify (i.e. brighten), examine, select:--make bright, choice, chosen, cleanse (be clean), clearly, polished, (shew self) pure(-ify), purge (out).

Last edited:
M

Miri

Wow all interesting comments from everyone. I never thought about the washing of feet,
the fullers would definitely have needed that and I bet no one volunteered!

I think the washing of feet in bible times would have been a very common sight. Dusty or
muddy roads coupled with inadequate footwear. I think I remember reading that it was
customary to offer guests a ways and means to wash hands and feet? Done by the lowest
servants.

So all the various versus would have had real impact on the hearers back then. Still does,
after all no one wants to bend down and wash another person's feet!

There are also the verses about washing of water by the word

Ephesians 5:25-27 NKJV
[25] Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
[26] that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
[27] that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle
or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Do you mind if I tell you about another dream. I am still waiting to see how this works
out as there is a real possibility in the future of a work I could be involved in which reflects this
dream.

I was in the large back garden of a large house. It had a tall 10-15 foot hedge
all around which gave the impression of seclusion. Along one side of the garden was a long
patio area with containers with plants. The rest of the garden was mostly cut lawns with a child's swing.

Towards the back of the garden was an overgrown area and it was a bit wet and boggy.
I walked to this overgrown area and when I reached one point, my foot sank in up the ankle.
I had wellies on so it was no big deal, I just pulled out my foot. I walked back to the lawn area.

Then I saw an unknown person walking in the overgrown part, I tried to warn them it was a bit
boggy. But they continued walking until they reached the areas I had been in. Suddenly they sank
right up to their neck in the same place I had been and couldn't get out. They started sinking more
until only their hands were showing. Then another person came out of the house and together we
managed to pull this sinking person out of the bog just in the nick of time.

As I was waking up psalm 40 was on my mind I didn't know what it was until I read it.

Psalm 40:1-3 NKJV
[1] I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry. [2] He also brought me
up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.
[3] He has put a new song in my mouth- Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust
in the LORD.

When I read it I realised my dream was about how I had not sunk because Jesus was my rock! The other
person was not standing on the rock!

Also as Christs we have been washed by the blood of the lamb and only need our feet washing as we walk
through this world! Only my feet got dirty in the bog, because I was standing on the rock!

God bless x

L

Least

Wow all interesting comments from everyone. I never thought about the washing of feet,
the fullers would definitely have needed that and I bet no one volunteered!

I think the washing of feet in bible times would have been a very common sight. Dusty or
muddy roads coupled with inadequate footwear. I think I remember reading that it was
customary to offer guests a ways and means to wash hands and feet? Done by the lowest
servants.

So all the various versus would have had real impact on the hearers back then. Still does,
after all no one wants to bend down and wash another person's feet!

There are also the verses about washing of water by the word

Ephesians 5:25-27 NKJV
[25] Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
[26] that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
[27] that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle
or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.

Do you mind if I tell you about another dream. I am still waiting to see how this works
out as there is a real possibility in the future of a work I could be involved in which reflects this
dream.

I was in the large back garden of a large house. It had a tall 10-15 foot hedge
all around which gave the impression of seclusion. Along one side of the garden was a long
patio area with containers with plants. The rest of the garden was mostly cut lawns with a child's swing.

Towards the back of the garden was an overgrown area and it was a bit wet and boggy.
I walked to this overgrown area and when I reached one point, my foot sank in up the ankle.
I had wellies on so it was no big deal, I just pulled out my foot. I walked back to the lawn area.

Then I saw an unknown person walking in the overgrown part, I tried to warn them it was a bit
boggy. But they continued walking until they reached the areas I had been in. Suddenly they sank
right up to their neck in the same place I had been and couldn't get out. They started sinking more
until only their hands were showing. Then another person came out of the house and together we
managed to pull this sinking person out of the bog just in the nick of time.

As I was waking up psalm 40 was on my mind I didn't know what it was until I read it.

Psalm 40:1-3 NKJV
[1] I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me, And heard my cry. [2] He also brought me
up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps.
[3] He has put a new song in my mouth- Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust
in the LORD.

When I read it I realised my dream was about how I had not sunk because Jesus was my rock! The other
person was not standing on the rock!

Also as Christs we have been washed by the blood of the lamb and only need our feet washing as we walk
through this world! Only my feet got dirty in the bog, because I was standing on the rock!

God bless x
Very good points Miri,

Thank you for posting the verses from Ephesians, that's such an excellent passage and it shows our relationship with Christ in comparison to marriage, which I think is amazing to consider.

I think you're right about foot washing, it was common at that time. I love this account.

Luke 7:37 And, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster box of ointment,
Luke 7:38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment.
Luke 7:39 Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.
Luke 7:40 And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith, Master, say on.
Luke 7:41 There was a certain creditor which had two debtors: the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty.
Luke 7:42 And when they had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore, which of them will love him most?
Luke 7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.
Luke 7:44 And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.
Luke 7:45 Thou gavest me no kiss: but this woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet.
Luke 7:46 My head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my feet with ointment.

Luke 7:47 Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.

That last verse...wow, that always hits me! What a merciful God we serve!

There's so much just in that passage.

That was a very interesting Dream Miri, I have friends who Journal their dreams. I do believe that God speaks to us in all kinds of ways, and since He is the same yesterday today and forever He certainly can speak to us in dreams.

I love Psalm 91, I actually have that on a plaque on my front door.

(This psalm goes nicely with the passage you shared from Ephesians and with Matt 7, and James 1:22 and Psalm 91.)

Psalms 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.

And also when Jesus talked about building our house upon a rock:

Luke 6:47 Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
Luke 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

It's amazing how God's word all fits together, no matter what we're studying or praying about no matter what we're seeking out in Him, there's always more and more. (There's never any lack.)

Last edited:
L

Least

Strong's concordance # 1287 = sope. This is where we have gotten the more modern word for soap. As we will read, this cleansing is also compared with the refiners fire, as Jesus' ability (defined by John the baptist) that Christ would baptize with the Holy Ghost and with fire.

“Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts. But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner's fire, and like fullers' sope:” Malachi 3:1-2

1287 boriyth bo-reeth' feminine of 1253; vegetable alkali:--sope.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong's concordance # 1253
Therefore saith the Lord, the Lord of hosts, the mighty One of Israel, Ah, I will ease me of mine adversaries, and avenge me of mine enemies: And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: Isaiah 1:24-25

1253 bor bore the same as 1252; vegetable lye (from its cleansing); used as a soap for washing, or a flux for metals:--X never so, purely.

Fluxes may have more than one function at a time. They are used in both extractive metallurgy and metal joining such as welding metal together. Therefore, as God can separate us from corruption, He is able to adhere us together with Him, and with both processes make us clean through Christ simultaneously.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strong's concordance # 1305
And he hath made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand hath he hid me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver hath he hid me; Isaiah 49:2

Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand. Daniel 12:10

1305 barar baw-rar' a primitive root; to clarify (i.e. brighten), examine, select:--make bright, choice, chosen, cleanse (be clean), clearly, polished, (shew self) pure(-ify), purge (out).
I hope you don't mind that I copied this and saved this?

The definitions just from those passages speak volumes, not only about purging and cleansing, but also "proving, testing, and being tried." All of those things carry over from the OT and on into the NT.

Thank you for sharing this.