The Gambit - Eric Beaudoin (Christian rock by a novice)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Beaudoiin

Apr 22, 2023

I song I'm making. Work in progress. Any feedback would be great thanks.

EternalFire

Jan 3, 2019
You have a lot of good ideas with great potential.

My advice is to hire a music producer who can help you shape them into a cohesive unit.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Interesting track. Nice riffs.

Bass guitar timing is a bit loose. If you're using a DAW you can probably chop the individual sound bytes up and shift them back and forth on the timeline just a bit.

Find the emotion you want in the words and put it in your voice. The first few words sound like you're reading from a script. (It gets better after that though.)

Try doing an echo-fade on the repeating "paradigm." Just a suggestion, not a necessity.

What is your DAW, by the way? And are you using virtual instruments, recording real instruments you play or a mix?

Beaudoiin

Apr 22, 2023
Interesting track. Nice riffs.

Bass guitar timing is a bit loose. If you're using a DAW you can probably chop the individual sound bytes up and shift them back and forth on the timeline just a bit.

Find the emotion you want in the words and put it in your voice. The first few words sound like you're reading from a script. (It gets better after that though.)

Try doing an echo-fade on the repeating "paradigm." Just a suggestion, not a necessity.

What is your DAW, by the way? And are you using virtual instruments, recording real instruments you play or a mix?
Hey thanks gor the awesome feed back. I'll comment in series.
Bass guitar is a bit loose. I agree. I played it once and moved on. It definitely needs work, that wad me improvising and I see that it is noticeable. When. I have so e time I'll record a new bass track and try to improve it, or atlwast quantize like you suggested. It's rather easy to do it, and I did it with some of the guitar.

Thanks about the script reading comment. I rarely sing so I think I will keep recording until I. Able to summon some type of emotion Haha. Thanks for telling g me it got better lol. I felt more confident ad I kept singing. It would be great to start at that level!

As for the paradigm repeating, it actually is an echo. Maybe not apprent because it's not fading the volume ? I'll add a fade, that's a great idea.

I'm using Fl studio. The drums are virtual, and there is a virtual guitar synthetic at one point plus some of the fx is virtual and some is real. I also have guitar rhythm I'm playing on my guitar, and some lead like the tapping and aome other parts on my ibanez. The bass was by my guitar also Haha. I mean to borrow a bass and try to record something.

I use some side chaining, lots of reverb, echo and eq. And a lot of panning and automation.

Thank you for the kind feed back

Also EternalFire Thank you for your input too. I think k that's a great Idea. I'm a bit hesitating because my skill level is still in the haphazard zone where I'm often like, how did I end up making this? When it sounds good. So you can tell a bit by the lack of cohesion and that is definitely and area where a helping hand could guide me to bring things together a bit more!

Lastly, excuse my Grammer and spelling. I am using my cell and do not have a lot of time at the moment to proof read.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hey thanks gor the awesome feed back. I'll comment in series.
Bass guitar is a bit loose. I agree. I played it once and moved on. It definitely needs work, that wad me improvising and I see that it is noticeable. When. I have so e time I'll record a new bass track and try to improve it, or atlwast quantize like you suggested. It's rather easy to do it, and I did it with some of the guitar.

Thanks about the script reading comment. I rarely sing so I think I will keep recording until I. Able to summon some type of emotion Haha. Thanks for telling g me it got better lol. I felt more confident ad I kept singing. It would be great to start at that level!

As for the paradigm repeating, it actually is an echo. Maybe not apprent because it's not fading the volume ? I'll add a fade, that's a great idea.

I'm using Fl studio. The drums are virtual, and there is a virtual guitar synthetic at one point plus some of the fx is virtual and some is real. I also have guitar rhythm I'm playing on my guitar, and some lead like the tapping and aome other parts on my ibanez. The bass was by my guitar also Haha. I mean to borrow a bass and try to record something.

I use some side chaining, lots of reverb, echo and eq. And a lot of panning and automation.

Thank you for the kind feed back

Also EternalFire Thank you for your input too. I think k that's a great Idea. I'm a bit hesitating because my skill level is still in the haphazard zone where I'm often like, how did I end up making this? When it sounds good. So you can tell a bit by the lack of cohesion and that is definitely and area where a helping hand could guide me to bring things together a bit more!

Lastly, excuse my Grammer and spelling. I am using my cell and do not have a lot of time at the moment to proof read.
FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops) is pretty good, and not at all pricey. Good choice.

The virtual/real instruments you listed were exactly what my ear heard. I was just curious how accurate I was.
EDIT: Er... I mean I didn't identify exactly what each instrument was, but I was curious whether I identified the difference between virtual and real instruments accurately.

The panning was lost on me because I listened to it on a phone... A rather cheap one. :giggle::whistle:

I know the "How did I end up making this?" feeling. I felt the same way when my "Chasing After You" soundtrack came out sounding so well on the chorus. I wonder if I'll ever be able to do that again. Haven't found out yet because I haven't found another song I want to make a soundtrack for that sounded like that.

Beaudoiin

Apr 22, 2023
FL Studio (formerly Fruity Loops) is pretty good, and not at all pricey. Good choice.

The virtual/real instruments you listed were exactly what my ear heard. I was just curious how accurate I was.
EDIT: Er... I mean I didn't identify exactly what each instrument was, but I was curious whether I identified the difference between virtual and real instruments accurately.

The panning was lost on me because I listened to it on a phone... A rather cheap one. :giggle::whistle:

I know the "How did I end up making this?" feeling. I felt the same way when my "Chasing After You" soundtrack came out sounding so well on the chorus. I wonder if I'll ever be able to do that again. Haven't found out yet because I haven't found another song I want to make a soundtrack for that sounded like that.
Awesome I think it's great that you can pick out the virtual. I think some of that is in the nuances of dynamics, rhythm, tone etc. I play on redoing the synthetic with my guitar, I just have to practice that part better. Since I wrote it in the piano roll and not actually in a guitar.

I'd love to hear some things you made if you would like to share.

Also any music is best appreciated on headphones haha, I'm. It sure what exactly is lost in this song on a phone but the general melodies are there of course.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I'd love to hear some things you made if you would like to share.
I think the good people of the forum are tired of me talking about music stuff. I'm a music nerd and can talk for DAYS STRAIGHT about music.

Here's the last time I ranted.

https://christianchat.com/christian-singles-forum/whats-your-jam.210645/#post-5062297

Song link at the bottom of the post. Youtube link is the song someone else made. box link is the soundtrack I made so I could sing the song at church.

Here's the second one I posted in that thread.

https://christianchat.com/christian-singles-forum/whats-your-jam.210645/page-2#post-5062543