The Gift of Choice...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 18, 2014
Hi all.

I'd like to offer the following for debate: We as individuals have made our choices in life based upon our personal experiences and those of persons close to us. So when it comes to our children, is it not better to introduce them to both religious and scientific ideas and allow them to chose for themselves? For instance, I was raised in a Church of England household and attended and Church School, but I was never baptised, my parents gave me the choice so when I knew enough I was free to do what felt right to me.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance all. :)

dT

38miles

Hi all.

I'd like to offer the following for debate: We as individuals have made our choices in life based upon our personal experiences and those of persons close to us. So when it comes to our children, is it not better to introduce them to both religious and scientific ideas and allow them to chose for themselves? For instance, I was raised in a Church of England household and attended and Church School, but I was never baptised, my parents gave me the choice so when I knew enough I was free to do what felt right to me.

dT
Your post made me think on this verse, 3John 1:4, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."

Whatever truth God has given me, this I want to pass to my children. If I view the world as evil, or world ideas as weeds designed to spread deceit and overrun the garden, then I want to protect my children from it. As for their choice and acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Savior, this I pray for daily, and leave that work with God who calls those He calls. The most important thing I think we as parents can do, is ensure that what our children see in our actions, matches whatever it is we're teaching/preaching to them. My son recently chose to be baptized at 9 years old. We walked through it, prayed about it, and it was his decision. 3John 1:4

Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for helping get this started Miles :). As we are on the gospel of John how about John 7:17 -

"If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own."

Surely this does imply that the choice is theirs to make and should not be enforced by through either parenting or narrow education?

Kind Regards

38miles

Thanks for helping get this started Miles :). As we are on the gospel of John how about John 7:17 -

"If anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether my teaching comes from God or whether I speak on my own."

Surely this does imply that the choice is theirs to make and should not be enforced by through either parenting or narrow education?

Kind Regards
It's no light matter, that's for sure. I think Matthew 19:16 illustrates what you're talking about well. The young man with possessions of wealth, knowledge, and an obvious good family upbringing, is unable to follow truth because of how tight he held the lie. And by that I mean worldliness, possessions, self-righteousness. I think as a parent and teacher (my profession) I'm always trying to teach the truth, while presenting the lie. Or, teach the correct way, while showing the error. So yes, the choice is 100% theirs to make and 100% ours to have faith in God for their correct choice.

But, I think we are to employ Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

I agree with presenting a broad-spectrum education, but teaching a narrow truth within it. If we do not enforce the truth that God reveals, it can't really be truth to us, right? Just thinking out loud....I'm walking through all this as a parent now :confused:

Dec 9, 2013
I am partial to both posters thus far.

On the hand, children definitely should be given as much education and knowledge about the world and all religions as possible. Ideally they should be brought up neutral then they can make a rational decision.

However, the ideal is also impossible because humans have biases and obviously one's belief influences one's thinking.
How can you ask a parent not to impart their beliefs and what they honestly think is the truth (even if its not)?

So while as a parent you will impart and teach your beliefs onto your children, I think you can also balance that with exposure to other ways of thinking (even if you tell them its wrong), at least they will not be indoctrinated in a narrow way of thinking.

Jan 18, 2014
I think you have nailed it on the head dose. It is all about balance, of course you will always have your beliefs but we shouldn't in my opinion condemn other ways of thinking as purely negative without offering balanced reasons behind them. I think one of the things which turned me away from religion at a young age was my parents, teachers and vicar offering no answer to many of my genuine questions other than "that is the word of the bible and should not be questioned". I genuinely believe that this is one of the factors polarising a lot of major religions between the borderline extremist fundamentalists to those who forget their dogma at the drop of a hat and wear their faith like a fashion accessory. I'm also a teacher Miles so I understand your position but as a teacher I think honesty with my students is one of the strongest factor in how I teach. It works for me, maybe it could work for others as well. :)

Sep 10, 2013
Hi all.

dT

First of all, if christianity represents for us just a "set of religious ideas" than I am not sure that we, ourselves, understood big deal of Jesus Christ`s (God) activity on earth. Jesus Christ calls us to live the real life, to become authentical human beings; and may He protect us from intelectualising faith because that equals with our spiritual death. May God help us also that when we raise our children, we lead a life where Jesus Christ is implied on all levels (organic, intelectual, spiritual, ontological), we do not present to our children ideas, but we try to live a liturgical life (not only on Sundays, but everyday). Our children will meet "ideas" of all kind when they will start going to school, start having a social life, but is our duty to guide them to place themselves in their true nature and in the real life, not in the relativity of subjective ideas and experiences (that leads, in my opinion to falsity and to distorsion of Christ`s image in ourselves).

38miles

God created "community" within Israel. He gave them the Law, He set up their entire culture as a means of separating them and setting them apart. He fathered their identity. Did they struggle with choosing him? So the point being made about "choice" is so valid. But Israel fathered generations of Israelites as God's people called forth by Him through lineage and legacy from Abraham to Jesus. I mention this only to acknowledge God's ultimate sovereignty. If anyone is choosing to follow Christ, it is only because God has willed it to be so.

...as a parent it is my job, entrusted with blessed children from God, to pass His instruction on. Then I'll stand on Proverbs 22:6 and trust in God's sovereign will.

Jan 18, 2014
Hey miles.

Forgive me if this comes across as being offensive for I promise it is not my intent. Surely the belief that is placed in any religion is the choice of the individual. As you are free to make that choice as an adult, should not your freedoms be enjoyed by the young and uninitiated as well. That is all I say. You choose God as much as he chooses you. Sure indoctrination and 'narrow truth' removes choice from the young person?

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
As a Christian, the most important thing I can do for my children and grandchildren is introduce them to Christ, be a model of following Jesus, and answer any questions they have about my faith.

If my children grow up to be good moral people, and fail to believe and follow Jesus, then I have failed as a parent.

There are enough choices offered in the world, which means my duty is to present the reasons for my faith. Both my relationship with God and the reasons for my faith need to be conveyed so that my children and grandchildren understand the truth of the gospel.

The OP suggests that there are a number of right choices when it comes to what we believe, and so a child should be exposed to all options. I believe there is only one right choice, and that is to believe in Jesus Christ and follow him.

i grew up with non-believing parents, and rejected their morality, and hurt myself in so many ways. I would never want my children to walk blindly down dangerous paths. My daily prayer is that all of my children and grandchildren will follow Christ and know the joy and peace of living for God.

PS I would never baptize a child who did not understand what baptism was all about! But I would urge them to do it once they have committed their life to Christ.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2014
If my children grow up to be good moral people, and fail to believe and follow Jesus, then I have failed as a parent.
I must admit this statement worries me a little. Surely if your children grow up moral, decent, healthy and happy that should be more important as an indication to your success as a parent rather than the faith they decide to follow? `what if your children grown to become an atheist geneticist, has a loving family, and who finds a cure for cancer. Would that not make you a successful parent?

P

PJM

you may want to study 1st Tim Chapter 2, this would make me to raise my children with Godly knowledge, that they want forget and will bring to rememberance in all their decisions. WE are a peculiar people. WE are the light of the world, don't hide your candle.

38miles

Hey miles.

Forgive me if this comes across as being offensive for I promise it is not my intent. Surely the belief that is placed in any religion is the choice of the individual. As you are free to make that choice as an adult, should not your freedoms be enjoyed by the young and uninitiated as well. That is all I say. You choose God as much as he chooses you. Sure indoctrination and 'narrow truth' removes choice from the young person?
You're not offensive. I'll be honest, the subject of this thread is something I think about often. And it's scary, especially considering how overexposed the world is now. And as a teacher I see the bloody worst of it. But the most important truth I want for my children to hold, pray for them about, is that they will know Jesus Christ as their savior--that they will identify themselves in Him as "doulos" and Matt 16:24. You used the words "religion" and "indoctrination" and I definitely agree both are faulty. My faith is not religion, but a living belief that is tended to always with the express purpose of bearing fruit. It means praying with them always and leading them to develop their own prayers and dependency on God. If only God can woo the human heart, I certainly want to do everything I can to increase their sensitivity to His wooing. Proverbs 22:6 every single day.