~ The Gifts Of The Spirit ~

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 1, 2011
As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. ( 1 Peter 4:10 )

The gifts of the spirit are God-given gifts of special anointing endowed to the spirit -filled believers.these gifts cannot be earned or achieved through our own efforts .

Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. ( 1 Corinthians 12:1 )

Paul reveals the Church as the Body of Christ.He goes on to explain that the members of this "Body" of believers will excercise different gifts, even as the members of the human body have different functions and purposes. He points out that we, as members of the Body of Christ, are given different gifts designed to work together in harmony.

Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular. ( 1 Corinthians 12:27 )

Besides the nine supernatural gifts listed in 1 corinthians 12, there are other gifts mentioned.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. ( 1 Corinthians 12:28 )

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;
Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness. ( Roman 12:6-8 )

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
( Ephesians 4:8 )

And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: ( Ephesians 4:11-13 )

Use hospitality one to another without grudging.
As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. ( 1 Peter 4:9-10 )

Diversities of gifts -

As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. ( 1 Corinthians 12:4-6 )

Does every child of God receive a gift ?

But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. ( Ephesians 4:7 )

For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. ( 1 Corinthians 7:7 )

about gifts -

But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way. ( 1 Corinthians 12:31 )

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. ( 1 Corinthians 14:1 )

NINE MANIFESTATION GIFTS DEFINED -

1 ) Word of Knowledge - is when God reveals to you some unknown information or facts that you had no human way of knowing ( Acts 5:1-11 )

2 ) Word of Wisdom - is the imparting of divine intelligence and understanding through us to bring about a solution (action) to known circumstances ( 1 Kings 3:16-28 )

3 ) Discerning of Spirits - is the ability to discern or recognize the presence of an evil or good spirit and to identify it as well ( Acts 16:16-18 )

4 ) Gift of Faith - is confidence and knowledge in the heart about something that God will bring to pass ( Acts 3:1-9,16 )

5 ) Working of Miracles - is the intervention that bypasses all the natural and physical laws we live by ( Acts 3:1-9 Acts 9:36-40 Acts 19:11-12 )

6 ) Gifts of Healing - is the healing of the body or mind not by diagnosis or by prescribing treatments, but by laying on of hands, anointing with oil or speaking the word ( Acts 28:8 )

7 ) Gift of Prophecy - is the utterance in the known language of the speaker and hearers
( 1 Corinthians 14:3-4 and 14:29 )

8 ) Gift of Tongues - is the utterance given by the Holy Spirit in languages never learned nor understood by the hearers ( 1 Corinthians 14:27-28 )

9 ) Gift of Interpretation of Tongues - is the interpretation of the Gift of Tongues
( 1 Corinthians 14:13-14 and 14:32 )

Twelve Administrative Gifts Defined -

1 ) Prophet - the divine enablement to proclaim God's truth with power and clarity in a timely and culturally sensitive fashion for correction, repentance, or edification.

2 ) Teacher - ability to understand, clearly explain and apply the Word of God to the lives of the listeners.

3 ) Evangelist - to so effectively communicate the message of Christ to unbelievers that they respond in faith and discipleship.

4 ) Apostle/Missionary - to start churches and oversee their development.

5 ) Shepherd/Pastor - to lead, care for and nurture individuals or groups in the Body of Christ as they grow in their faith.

6 ) Help - to attach spiritual value to the accomplishment of physical tasks within the Body of Christ.

7 ) Administration/Governments - the special ability to plan, execute, and achieve procedures that increase the church's organizational effectiveness.
( 1 Corinthians 12:28 and Ephesians 4:11 )

8 ) Encouragement/Exhortation - ability to reassure, strengthen and affirm those who are discouraged or wavering in their faith in such a way that they feel helped and healed.

9 ) Leadership - to attract , lead, and motivate people to accomplish the work of the ministry.

10 ) Mercy - to minister cheerfully and appropriately to people who are suffering.to feel sympathy with the misery of another.

11 ) Giving - more than the pocketbook, but giving of oneself.ability to contribute money and material resources to the work of the Lord with cheerfulness and liberality.the motivation behind the giving is to advance the work of the Lord.
( Romans 12:8 )

12 ) Hospitality - to care for new or needy people by providing fellowship, food and shelter.
( 1 peter 4:9 )

More on Gifts -

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. ( 1 Corinthians 14:2 )

I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. ( 1 Corinthians 14:5 )

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. ( 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 )

How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
( 1 Corinthians 14:26 )

The primary purpose of spiritual gifts is for the building up or edifying of believers by other believers. Each member is responsible for using spiritual gifts to help others in the body.Every believer is to be active in this area.

S

Saint-John

the spirtual gifts as discribed are alive and prospering in all Gods people(churches)

just a couple of things....

1cor 14.18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: (they all could of coarse) (John 4.24 God is a spirit....)
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. ( prayer is for your private place,closet, not everyone in church so they wont think you mad) 2 at most 3...)
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
21 ¶ In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: (in the church) so people know they are in Gods church......

G

Gav777

Hi there, is it possible to receive all 9 gifts. If you dont mind me asking, how many gifts has God given you?

R

Repentionofignorance

If I may jump in for a second, I do not think anyone will receive all the gifts because God wants everyone to share and rely on one another. =)

Aug 15, 2009
the spirtual gifts as discribed are alive and prospering in all Gods people(churches)

just a couple of things....

1cor 14.18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: (they all could of coarse) (John 4.24 God is a spirit....)
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. ( prayer is for your private place,closet, not everyone in church so they wont think you mad) 2 at most 3...)
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
21 ¶ In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: (in the church) so people know they are in Gods church......
These gifts are still alive because there is not a single scripture to say they would end or even hint to such. :)

M

MaggieMye

True Apostles have all the gifts. Many CALL them selves "apostles" but there is so much pride in doing so that it's a no-brainer to know that they are not. Only when other's recognize the qualities of an apostle and identify a person AS an apostle...OVER TIME...can one then claim that call of God on his/her life.

Maggie

G

GreenNnice

If I may jump in for a second, I do not think anyone will receive Good.

But, could He ?

How many times does God say in Scripture, 'With God, all things are possible?'

And, in many ways too, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me . And, others.

M

MaggieMye

What is your point?

R

Repentionofignorance

Oh, I understand that people can have all the gifts. but I think the reason why many people do not have all of the gifts is because if we did, we would have no reason to help other people, since they have all the gifts as well. that being said, it would be cool to have all of them

A

AgapeSpiritEyes

Any spirituals of the Holy Spirit those 9 identified are an available to the need of others, apostles needed them to give not to possess a office or attention or fame or recognition but to build up in love Agapelove is the complete perfect fruit that gifts will be appraised by as gold silver or eternal jewels, Agape does not seek flesh wood hay or straw Agape seeks to give Jesus fully as we are filled and capable. Agape by the Holy Spirit seeks to be a flesh empty vessel to flow the Holy Spirit where others need.

M

MaggieMye

By Repentingofignorance: "Oh, I understand that people can have all the gifts. but I think the reason why many people do not have all of the gifts is because if we did, we would have no reason to help other people, since they have all the gifts as well. that being said, it would be cool to have all of them"
All people do have all the gifts. It is just that each person has more of some and less of others...but every Christian SHOULD be able to operate any of the gifts when the occasion calls for it. God enhances certain gifts in certain people. But here's the clincher: ALL children of God/Christians are to purpose to be MORE LIKE CHRIST, who DID have all the gifts in abundance. When we operate in the enhanced gifts that God has designed us to operate in, it is THEN that others will see Christ within us. And for the lost, not everyone is receptive to every gift. That is why we are all different from one another, so that every lost person has someone...one of us...out there that he/she can receive from and so to further the Kingdom of God.
Maggie