The Good Samaritan

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Evidence of the nature of God, the nature of love, and the answer to the question many debate here on the forum.

[h=3]The Parable of the Good Samaritan[/h][SUP]25 [/SUP]And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
<pause here. and ask yourself how would you have answered this, being a teacher on the forum?>

[SUP]26 [/SUP]He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?

[SUP]27 [/SUP]So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’[SUP][h][/SUP] and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”[SUP][i][/SUP]

[SUP]28 [/SUP]And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”
<fulfilling the commandments>

[SUP]29 [/SUP]But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
[SUP]30 [/SUP]Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. [SUP]31 [/SUP]Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. [SUP]32 [/SUP]Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. [SUP]33 [/SUP]But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. [SUP]34 [/SUP]So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. [SUP]35 [/SUP]On the next day, when he departed,[SUP][j][/SUP] he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’ [SUP]36 [/SUP]So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”

[SUP]37 [/SUP]And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

- God is the same yesterday today and forevermore
- God's commands: Love God, Love your Neighbour - has not passed away, nor ever will.
- Life in the Spirit fulfills the law. What law? The above law.
- Life in the Spirit is Faith in Action. The priests and levites, who should have known better than the common man about these things were found wanting. Why? Because their faith was not genuine. A genuine faith is always accompanies by action. And in this case - obedience. Obedience to what? Loving your neighbour, in the above instance.

Something to chew on.

God bless. Have a wonderful Sunday.

Apr 15, 2017
1Jn 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

Jas 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
Jas 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
Jas 2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
Jas 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.
1Ti 6:7 For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
1Ti 6:8 And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

The love of money neglects the poor and needy,which loving people is how we love God,and to help them with their needs,because it is love,the way that God intended for the world to operate.

Luk 10:25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
Luk 10:26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
Luk 10:28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.
Luk 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

He wanted to justify himself,for he did not have love for all people,and did not treat people the way he should,and wanted it narrowed down to only the people he did love,so he could be in the clear,mainly the love for his people,but not of others.He wanted to jusitfy himself for he only loved those of his own people,and not others,but he knew the commandment did not state love only your own people,but was in general love people,and he knew he violated,and was playing dumb,but who is my neighbor wanting an excuse like I did not know,for I only thought they were my own people,the Jews,my immediate neighbors,and ethnic group.

Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
Luk 10:31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luk 10:34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

But Jesus widened it to mean love all people,when He pointed out the good Samaritan helping one outside of his ethnic group,although they were half Jewish,but the Jews had no dealing with them,and also this good Samaritan included not only loving the person,but helping the person with their needs,and they would be rewarded by Jesus.

There are many people that do not help those outside their ethnic group,including many that claim Christianity,and many people not helping people in general.

But there is something you can observe about people,that it is nice that they help people,but the majority only help if it does not affect their life too much.

If it costs people money to say I love you,have a nice day,hello,they would not do it.

The majority help if,

1.It does not cost them money,or very little.Sure I got a dime,here you go.

2.It does not take up too much of their time.Sure I got 2 minutes to help you.

3.They do not have to travel that far,like being in the general vacinity.Here let me get this door for you.Oh here you go sir you dropped something.Here let me help you up,I was passing by this way anyway.

They try to get the good guy points in a cheap way,as long as there is no money involved,or very very very little.They do not have to waste too much of their time.They are in the general vacinity.

But when it comes to the things that really matter,giving people food and clothing,and helping with their needs,and dedicating their time,the majority will not go for it.

They want people to think they are a good person by doing it cheaply,and it does not affect them that much,barely,barely,barely,affect them,so they will say hello,have a nice day,here let me get the door for you,here let me help you up,I was here anyway,here let me carry your groceries to the car,I am going that way anyway.

But when it really matters they do nothing.

And also the people they help are very capable of doing it themselves,for they do not like to help people that struggle physically with something,for then they have to exert too much physical energy,and they do not like it.

Here Mr. won 6 times the world's strongest man competition,let me get that door for you,when he could rip it off the hinges.Here Mr. deadlifting champion of the United States,let me pick up that piece of paper for you,when he could pick up that piece of paper,and rip the carpet up with it.

The majority of people will help if it does not affect them too much,and will help people that are very capable of doing it themselves,but when it really matters they do not help for it affects them too much financially,time wise,and travelling time,and physical exertion.

Most people that claim to be with Jesus,go to work,come home,and that is about the extent of their life,for there is not too much being concerned of those around them,and the early Church gathered daily in one accord,to fellowshipped,and sold all they had and gave to the poor saints,but where do we see that,for the Church is supossed to be a family,but they act like individuals,like a lot of marriages that are supossed to be a team,but they operate on an individual level,until they eventually get a divorce.

valiant

Mar 22, 2015
Evidence of the nature of God, the nature of love, and the answer to the question many debate here on the forum.

The Parable of the Good Samaritan

[SUP]25 [/SUP]And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"
<pause here. and ask yourself how would you have answered this, being a teacher on the forum?>

Indeed, what answer did Jesus give. A parable showing him that he DID NOT keep the commandments which he believed was the way.

[SUP]
26 [/SUP]He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?

[SUP]27 [/SUP]So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’[SUP][h][/SUP] and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’”[SUP][i][/SUP]

[SUP]28 [/SUP]And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”
<fulfilling the commandments>
But this was the answer the man was EXPECTING. He was one of those who sought to DO the commandments and believed that that gave him eternal life. Jesus was about to show him that he didn't 'DO THEM' after all. Thus HE DID NOT FULFIL the commandments.

[SUP]
29 [/SUP]But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
He started to argue because he wanted to make himself right in God's eyes. For he knew some-how that he WASN'T keeping the commandments.

[SUP]30 [/SUP]Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. [SUP]31 [/SUP]Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. [SUP]32 [/SUP]Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. [SUP]33 [/SUP]But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. [SUP]34 [/SUP]So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. [SUP]35 [/SUP]On the next day, when he departed,[SUP][j][/SUP] he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’ [SUP]36 [/SUP]So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”

[SUP]37 [/SUP]And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”
The story shows that priest and Levite were not keeping the commandments. The Samaritan who was not trying to keep the commandments, was doing a better job because he was MERCIFUL.

Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
What do you expect Him to say? Of course He wanted the way of mercy fulfilling. He was saying, 'Go and show mercy as this Samaritan showed mercy. He was showing the man that in FACT he didn't love his neighbour.

Tell me, what do you think He would have said to the SAMARITAN?

-
God is the same yesterday today and forevermore. - God's commands: Love God, Love your Neighbour - has not passed away, nor ever will.
True, but who among us can say that he loves God and neighbour perfectly? That was the point to which Jesus was leading. If we are left with that it is NOT the Gospel. It is only preparing us for the Gospel.

-
Life in the Spirit fulfills the law. What law? The above law.
ALL agree on this. But the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus is given only to those who are already justified (Rom 8.2). Paul makes crystal clear that THAT is the condition. Thus it is necessary to find out how to be justified before God first.

-
Life in the Spirit is Faith in Action. The priests and levites, who should have known better than the common man about these things were found wanting. Why? Because their faith was not genuine. A genuine faith is always accompanies by action. And in this case - obedience. Obedience to what? Loving your neighbour, in the above instance.

All will agree. But we ask, how do we get that life and that faith? It is not by TRYING. It is by submitting to Him who justifies THE UNGODLY (Rom 4.4-5).

Something to chew on.
Indeed yes. But chew on it FULLY and come to the right conclusion,

M

Miri

Another example. :) Though many overlook it.

Whether by birth or mutilation (in this case it was probably
mutilation due to his job) eunuchs was despised by the Jews,
they were unable to fulfil the requirement of circumcision and
therefore could not enter into the promise of God's chosen people.
They also could not enter the temple courts.

That was just one of many problems they had! If done before puberty
it messed around with hormonal and masculine development.

Yet here was a man who was aborrant to the Jews, who the Holy Spirit was
about to convict and save!

Philip didn't say "forget it Lord don't you know what he is", rather he sat with
him and expounded the bible to him.

The Good Samaritan saved an untouchable, body, Philip saved an untouchable soul.

Acts 8:26-40 NKJV
[26] Now an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, saying, "Arise and go toward
the south along the road which goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza." This is
desert. [27] So he arose and went. And behold, a man of Ethiopia, a eunuch
of great authority under Candace the queen of the Ethiopians, who had charge
of all her treasury, and had come to Jerusalem to worship, [28] was returning.

And sitting in his chariot, he was reading Isaiah the prophet. [29] Then the
Spirit said to Philip, "Go near and overtake this chariot." [30] So Philip ran
to him, and heard him reading the prophet Isaiah, and said, "Do you understand
what you are reading?" [31] And he said, "How can I, unless someone guides
me?" And he asked Philip to come up and sit with him.

[32] The place in the Scripture which he read was this: "He was led as a sheep to
the slaughter; And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, So He opened not His
mouth. [33] In His humiliation His justice was taken away, And who will declare
His generation? For His life is taken from the earth." [34] So the eunuch answered
Philip and said, "I ask you, of whom does the prophet say this, of himself or
of some other man?"

[35] Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning at this Scripture, preached Jesus
to him. [36] Now as they went down the road, they came to some water. And the
eunuch said, "See, here is water. What hinders me from being baptized?" [37] Then
Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said,
"I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." [38] So he commanded the chariot
to stand still. And both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water, and he baptized him.

[39] Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away,
so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing. [40] But Philip
was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.

Dec 12, 2013
Chew on the fact that Jesus was under the law until he ratified the New Covenant of GRACE/FAITH when he said it is finished and gave up the Ghost.....

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
How come we never hear about the bad Samaritan?

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013

maybe an aside . .

And behold, men passed by and saw the body thrown on the road,
and the lion standing beside the body; so they came and told
it in the city
(1 Kings 13:25)

((. . or maybe not so aside, really?))

Chris1975

Apr 27, 2017
Chew on the fact that Jesus was under the law until he ratified the New Covenant of GRACE/FAITH when he said it is finished and gave up the Ghost.....
Lol. So Which of Jesus' teachings are you now free to discard?