The 'Great Commission': What Type of Evangelism is Most Effective?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

What Type of Evangelism Do You Find is Most Effective?

• Intellectual Evangelism

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Relational Evangelism

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Confrontational Evangelism

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
N

NiceneCreed

Evangelistic Method #1
The “Four SpiritualLaws” is a method of evangelism which was developed by Bill Bright in1952. It was a method of evangelismdeveloped to present the Christian faith in a clear and simple way. According to CampusCrusade.com, it is one ofthe most effective evangelistic tools ever developed; over 100 million copieshave been sold world- wide in various languages. The “Four Spiritual Laws” represent the basictruths of the Gospels. Bright held theview that the Christian message of salvation is represented by four spirituallaws that govern our relationship with God. It is evident the simplicity of the “Four Spiritual Laws” is responsiblefor its popularity as an evangelistic method. The “Four Spiritual Laws” are as follows:
1. God loves you and offers a wonderful plan foryour life.
“For God soloved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whoever believes inHim should not perish, but have eternal life,” (John 3:16).
2. Man is sinful and separated from God. Therefore, he cannot know and experienceGod’s love and plan for his life.
“For all havesinned and fall short of the glory of God,” (Romans 3:23); “For the wages ofsin is death,” (Romans 6:23); “But your iniquities have made a separationbetween you and your God,” (Isaiah 59:2).
3. Jesus Christ is God’s only provision for man’ssin. Through Him you can know andexperience God’s love and plan for your life.
“I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no onecomes to the Father, but through Me,” (John 14:6); “But God demonstrates Hisown love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us,”(Romans 5:8).
4. We must individually receive Christ as Savior andLord; then we can know and experience God’s love and plan for our lives.
”But as many as received Him, to them He gave theright to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,” (John1:12); “if you confess with your mouth Jesus is Lord, and believe in your heartthat God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved,” (Romans 10:9); “For bygrace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is thegift of God,” (Ephesians 2:8).

It is clear this methodof evangelism is used due to its effectiveness. This method can also be applied to compliment another method ofevangelism such as a “confrontational” or “relational” method. Additionally, it provides a clear foundationalunderstanding of the Gospels.
Although this method isan extremely effective tool, it is not complete in and of itself. This methodis generally shared with a non-believer who has either little to no knowledgeof Christ or the Gospels. This methodmight not provide an adequate amount of time for a non-believer’sconversion. In some cases, converts wereevangelized for a number of years before they accepted Christ.

EvangelisticMethod #2
“Servant Evangelism” isdescribed by the motto “Small things done with great love”. Steve Sjogren is commonly credited forcoining the term ‘’Servant Evangelism’’. However, the bible illustrates this method of evangelism being used byJesus Christ on many occasions. Jesushealed the sick (John 4:43-54; Luke 17:11-9), fed the poor (Matthew 14:13-21),and ministered to gentiles (John 4:1-42). “Servant Evangelism” is intentional and shows God’s love for people byperforming acts of kindness. This methodof evangelism can involve giving away free food, clothing, shelter, etc. The acts of kindness we can perform arelimited only by our creativity. The mainidea behind this method is to exemplify Christ’s love for all people in afriendly and loving manner.

“Servant Evangelism” is a good method to useto communicate God’s love to people. It creates a positive example ofChristians within the community and appeals to non-believers. According to David Wheeler, people are twiceas likely to allow a person to share their faith when evangelism is combinedwith simple acts of servant-hood. Thisalso allows an opportunity to evangelize using an “Intellectual” or“Confrontational” method of evangelism. “Servant Evangelism” can be used in any setting. All it requires is an intentional act ofkindness to show God’s love.

One concern with “Servant Evangelism” is thatnon-believers might mistakenly perceive good works as being required to receivesalvation. It is important whenemploying this method of evangelism to profess that salvation comes from thegrace of God. Good works are merely areflection of our living faith, and it is easy to lose sight of goals whenusing “Servant Evangelism”. One canbecome so wrapped up in the good deeds themselves that they forget what is mostimportant; Christ. The primary purposeof this particular method is to preach the word of God to non-believers, andproclamation of the Christian faith is necessary in the process. We cannot glorify God through works if thoseworks are not supported by our faith and intent to share the Gospels.

EvangelisticMethod #3
The “Door-to-Door” method of evangelism is oneof the most direct ways to share the Gospels. Groups of Christians will go door-to-door throughout neighborhoodssharing Gospel literature, typically, in the form of Gospel tracts. The objective of “Door-to-Door” evangelism isfor the church to identify with and assess the needs of the community. In doing so, the church can offer up prayers,invite people to the church or address more specific needs. According to namb.net, 53% of Americans arewilling to accept an invitation to church if asked by someone using the “Door-to-Door”method of evangelism. There is generallya follow up if someone is interested in learning more about the church orwanting to accept Jesus into their lives.
The “Door-to-Door” methodof evangelism is advantageous, because people behind the door see a welcomingsmile that is inviting them to read the Gospels of Christ. The Christians will listen to their concerns,offer prayer, and welcome them to church.
The disadvantage of the“Door-to-Door” method of evangelism is the unknown danger that may be awaiting theChristians behind the non–believers doors. The lack of time between the non-believer attending church, and theinitial reaching out by Christians, may sour the stranger to Christianity. It is imperative to have follow-up withpeople, especially new Christians.

EvangelisticMethod #4
The best method ofEvangelism for my lifestyle is “Servant Evangelism.” It allows me to perform kind acts within the community,thus exemplifying God’s love for others. By serving non-believers in the community this way, they are more likelyto approach me with questions about my servitude. I am then able to engage non–believers in aconversation about God’s love and his gift of salvation. “Servant Evangelism” is so amazing, becausethe main purpose is to share the Gospels with people as a slave of Christ. The Bible clearly illustrates this is howJesus came to serve, and I want to bear the burden of the cross as He did. “For even the Son of Man did not come to beserved, but to serve, and to give His life – a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). I have learned it is ultimately the Holy Spirit who guides our responsesand actions when evangelizing to people. I personally feel all methods of evangelism are effective, and I havepersonally utilized all of them. “ServantEvangelism” is simply the method of evangelism I feel most comfortablewith.

What method of evangelism do you find to be most effective? Why?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Evangelism is only 'effective' as the Holy Spirit uses the actual Gospel (not man made techniques) to drive home to the sinners heart their guilt before a Holy God and their need and only hope...their Saviour taking taking God's full wrath for their sins, forgiving those who embrace that death for them and being robed with His Righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:21-24 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

Romans 10:13-15 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
One can be a channel of God's love and grace to others through servant evangelism. Just simple acts of kindness can go a long way in touching a needy soul, and when God sees our faith and commitment He will magnify the result. I love this approach too.:)

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
"I planted,Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. [SUP]7 [/SUP]So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. [SUP]8 [/SUP]He who plants and he who waters are one, and each will receive his wages according to his labor.[SUP]9 [/SUP]For we are God's fellow workers. You are God's field, God's building." 1 Cor. 3:6-9

What ever we use to reach the lost, we are only a part of the process. Prayer is also essential in winning souls to the Lord. But in the end, God is the one who gives the increase.

N

NiceneCreed

I could not agree more.

N

NiceneCreed

Well said.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Be a walking testimony for Christ. Every Christian is to be ready and able to give an account for what Christ has done for him. 1 Peter 3:15. Best way is God's way.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

N

NiceneCreed

Agreed. Thanks for the reply.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
What is 'relational evangelism' if the gospel is not eventually spoken?
How is it 'evangel' until then?

N

NiceneCreed

There are numerous types of "Relational" evangelism, to include: Servant Evangelism, Life-style Evangelism, etc. Proclamation is not so much an issue for 'Servant' evangelism, as this could be an activity as simple as serving free food to the public and talking about Jesus. 'Friendship' or 'Life-style' evangelism are centered more around the idea of befriending non-believers and letting your light shine upon them. The idea is when they see how your life is, they will become curious about your faith and eventually convert to Christianity. The problem I have with any type of 'Servant' evangelism is that, if one does not proclaim Christ in the process of evangelizing, then there is no purpose behind anything they do. Proclamation is always required!

N

NiceneCreed

P.S. I am really tired, and I realize what I just said probably doesn't make any sense. If you would like to continue this discussion, feel free to leave more comments on the page.