The History Channel's "The Bible" -- Did You Like It?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Radius

Feb 11, 2013
Well, the series wrapped up last Sunday. How did you like it overall?
I read about some surreal moments while filming the movie which can be seen here Mark Burnett says 'weird things happened' on 'The Bible' set | Inside TV | EW.com .

I liked it overall all and could pick out and overlook most of the inaccuracies (this is Hollywood after all and you just knew there would be some). I don't like how they added a lot of extra-Biblical anecdotes concerning the disciples' deaths in the last episode. I think Stephen's stoning is the only one mentioned in the Bible (?).

Anyway, for the unbeliever and believer alike there were some very powerful scenes and I think it did more good than harm. It undoubtedly brought many to Christ (I hope).

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I liked most of it. There were some issues in it.
I did not agree with how Cornelius was baptized. They should have emersed him, and not just his head, but overall I did like the series.

I think it is out on DVD now in stores.

A

Anonimous

I liked most of it. There were some issues in it.
I did not agree with how Cornelius was baptized. They should have emersed him, and not just his head, but overall I did like the series.

I think it is out on DVD now in stores.
I think Peter probably baptized who he could anyway he could. Not everyone was near a big water source. The main thing is that Cornelius came to believe.

N

Nancyer

My son and I watched every episode and liked it very much. Yes there were some inaccuracies (I'd been taught 3 women (not 1 woman) came to anoint Jesus' body) and my son felt they moved through the Bible too fast (if they'd done it his way we'd only be through Exodus by now).

I'm not sure how many it brought to Christ, mostly because of the brutality. I wish it would have shown more of God's love, Jesus forgiving, healing, caring. I think the violence might actually have turned people away, but I pray it did indeed bring people to Christ, help them believe the truth of the Bible.

I thought the actors were excellent, very well cast. All the disciples looked "right" to me, and I thought Jesus was perfect.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
didn't watch it. don't watch tv. But I seen the guy playing the devil looked lot like Obama. that make me laugh.

T

Tintin

The Bible hasn't come to Australian shores but I'd just like to clarify something - the Bible is very violent. It's important to do justice to the stories, no matter how icky God's Truth can be at times. Also, from the snippets I've seen, it doesn't seem the violence is too much, certainly not anything above your PG-13 rating. Again, I haven't seen the series yet, so I could be wrong. I thought the angel costumes were good (it was fun to see angels that weren't cutesy or the traditional golden, haired pretty boys in white gowns).

My son and I watched every episode and liked it very much. Yes there were some inaccuracies (I'd been taught 3 women (not 1 woman) came to anoint Jesus' body) and my son felt they moved through the Bible too fast (if they'd done it his way we'd only be through Exodus by now).

I'm not sure how many it brought to Christ, mostly because of the brutality. I wish it would have shown more of God's love, Jesus forgiving, healing, caring. I think the violence might actually have turned people away, but I pray it did indeed bring people to Christ, help them believe the truth of the Bible.

I thought the actors were excellent, very well cast. All the disciples looked "right" to me, and I thought Jesus was perfect.

Photoss

Sep 15, 2012
I saw part of the last episode; I didn't like how much Mary Magdalene was in pretty much every scene with the desciples, including in the upper room when the Holy Spirit descended (and when she spoke in tongues and preached like the other disciples).

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
didn't watch it. don't watch tv. But I seen the guy playing the devil looked lot like Obama. that make me laugh.
I posted a thread about that. Made a few ppl mad. I was called racist too. How that was racist I do not know.

May 9, 2012
I posted a thread about that. Made a few ppl mad. I was called racist too. How that was racist I do not know.
But haven't you heard? Obama's the AntiChrist in the flesh ;) I didn't watch the series and I don't plan on it.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
Well quite a few of the obama supporters want to hold him up like he is the Messiah.

But I will edit to add in. If I was going to make a movie. and it was going to have satan in it. Id pick obama to play satan.

Last edited:

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
it was o.k. I would give it a b-.

Mar 29, 2013
I dont have cable so ive never seeen it do you know if you can watch it online somewhere?? An as much as i dont like most poloticians obama is defintly not the antichrist simply because so many people dont like him..

B

BishopSEH

I have yet to see the whole series but I do plan on adding it to my collection. Even though its called The Bible it is not the Bible. The folks that made it clearly put a great deal of thought into their selections and to try and may it as realistic as possible without going to Mel Gibson extremes. For this reason I believe the level of violence was toned down. A pg rating allows for parent to encourage their children to watch with them while not turning it into a war class of movie or worse, a stuff film.

One thing we all need to remember is this is a work of man to honor God. Unlike the real Bible this mini-series is not inspired as the Holy Bible is. Any inaccuracies should foster discussion within the family and in small groups and may even be used for a sermon of two. What it should not do is inspire condemnation which so many that claim Christ are so quick to do.

Just think about how long it took for this wonder we call the Bible to come into being. Clearly the mini-series did not take anywhere near as long. Instead of believers celebrating such a monumental task what do many of us do? We condemn it because its not perfect. Again, its NOT THE BIBLE. It doesn't have to be. In this electronic, information at your finger tips age, this mini-series has reaches hundreds, if not thousands of young people that have never truly known the joy of reading. Instead of going on their x-box or psp or some other game to distract their minds they are talking about who God is and why He matters.

You know its funny, not in the ha ha way but in the ironic but sad way, the great condemners of those that try to bring the Bible to life so as to bring more people to a saving faith in not the unbelievers. Its the believers. So look down your nose all you like but before you do ask yourself, what have I done to advance the cause of Christ?

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

C

ChristReconcilesAll

Well, the series wrapped up last Sunday. How did you like it overall?
I read about some surreal moments while filming the movie which can be seen here Mark Burnett says 'weird things happened' on 'The Bible' set | Inside TV | EW.com .

I liked it overall all and could pick out and overlook most of the inaccuracies (this is Hollywood after all and you just knew there would be some). I don't like how they added a lot of extra-Biblical anecdotes concerning the disciples' deaths in the last episode. I think Stephen's stoning is the only one mentioned in the Bible (?).

Anyway, for the unbeliever and believer alike there were some very powerful scenes and I think it did more good than harm. It undoubtedly brought many to Christ (I hope).
I was disappointed with the inaccuracies, but it was probably better than anything else on the tube those nights.