The Holy Spirit Versus The Depravity Of Man

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

Crossfire

Unfortunately, many in Church today are taught that they are a slave to there own depravity (sinful nature) until the day that they die a physical death. However, scripture plainly contradicts such faulty doctrine. While it is true that man is weak and can do nothing in and of his or her own strength, scripture states that God's strength is made perfect in our moments of weakness (2 Cor. 12:9) and that all things are possible through Christ who strengthens us (Phillipians 4:13).

Throughout the Bible there are many passages of scripture which speaks of the numerous promises that Christ has made available to us through the indwelling Holy Spirit. One of which can be found in 2 Peter, Chapter 1, verses 3 - 4:

"For His divine power has bestowed upon us all things that [are requisite and suited] to life and godliness, through the [full, personal] knowledge of Him Who called us by and to His own glory and excellence (virtue). By means of these He has bestowed on us His precious and exceedingly great promises, so that through them you may escape [by flight] from the moral decay (rottenness and corruption) that is in the world because of covetousness (lust and greed), and become sharers (partakers) of the divine nature."

While a person is indeed dominated by his or her own depravity while a sinner, once saved, God's grace has given us access to divine help in our moment of need:

"Inasmuch then as we have a great High Priest Who has [already] ascended and passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession [of faith in Him]. For we do not have a High Priest Who is unable to understand and sympathize and have a shared feeling with our weaknesses and infirmities and liability to the assaults of temptation, but One Who has been tempted in every respect as we are, yet without sinning. Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God’s unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it]." - Hebrews 4:14-16

"For no temptation (no trial regarded as enticing to sin), [no matter how it comes or where it leads] has overtaken you and laid hold on you that is not common to man [that is, no temptation or trial has come to you that is beyond human resistance and that is not adjusted and adapted and belonging to human experience, and such as man can bear]. But God is faithful [to His Word and to His compassionate nature], and He [can be trusted] not to let you be tempted and tried and assayed beyond your ability and strength of resistance and power to endure, but with the temptation He will [always] also provide the way out (the means of escape to a landing place), that you may be capable and strong and powerful to bear up under it patiently." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

The "help / escape" mentioned in the verses above is the person of Holy Spirit Himself living on the inside of us:

"But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God)." - Galatians 5:22

According to scripture, the indwelling Holy Spirit is by far more powerful than man's own depravity. However, once saved, we now have a choice to make; we can either walk (abide) in the Holy Spirit, setting our minds on things above (renewing our minds) drawing strength from Him in our moments of weakness - or - we can give in to the flesh and reap the consequences of our actions:

"Do not be deceived and deluded and misled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at (scorned, disdained, or mocked by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside.) [He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God.] For whatever a man sows, that and that only is what he will reap. For he who sows to his own flesh (lower nature, sensuality) will from the flesh reap decay and ruin and destruction, but he who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life." - Galatians 6: 7-8

"For those who are according to the flesh and are controlled by its unholy desires set their minds on and pursue those things which gratify the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit and are controlled by the desires of the Spirit set their minds on and seek those things which gratify the [Holy] Spirit. Now the mind of the flesh [which is sense and reason without the Holy Spirit] is death [death that comprises all the miseries arising from sin, both here and hereafter]. But the mind of the [Holy] Spirit is life and [soul] peace [both now and forever].... For if you live according to [the dictates of] the flesh, you will surely die. But if through the power of the [Holy] Spirit you are [habitually] putting to death (making extinct, deadening) the [evil] deeds prompted by the body, you shall [really and genuinely] live forever." - Romans 8: 5 - 6, & 13

Before salvation we were all slaves to the flesh, we had no other choice (Romans 7:5). After salvation, God's grace has given us access to everything needed to live a Godly life through His Spirit (2 Peter 1: 3-4). The question each of us need to ask ourselves is this: Do we truly believe in the promises of God given to us through His Word - or - are we going to place our trust in various religious traditions created by certain men who's own "fruit" historically did not live up to the Word of God?

"According to your faith be it unto you." - Matthew 9:29

Last edited:

starfield

Jun 13, 2009
The moment we are saved, our bodies become members of Christ with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. We are no longer slaves to our depraved nature as we have been purchased by the blood of Christ.
Eph 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

We now seek for victorious Christian living, becoming more like Christ
through the empowerment of the Holy Spirit; this is sanctification. It is God's will that His children are set apart for His service.
1 Peter 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.
Heb 10:10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
Heb 13:12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

joshhuntnm

Aug 6, 2012
you might get more responses if you didn't post such long posts. just a thought.

Feb 17, 2010
AMEN AMEN AND AMEN! Thank You Lord Jesus for the revelations of Truth You bestowed upon CROSSFIRE! May Your will be done in him, as it is done in heaven.

Let me show you my revelation today.
Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

I am the thief, that needs to stop stealing, and work what is good with my hands, and earn enough money to share with the less fortunate. So I as a career thief has to stop stealing, and if I do not DO something else I will die of hunger. My rich victims will still thrive in life, and even better, as their goods will now be safe. But me, I will have to find something else and GOOD to do to stay alive. And just as God is faithful, God might give me a talent to carve the most beautiful carvings from wood. So I start to create nice pieces that sells like cupcakes, and I earn way more than I need, now I give the rest to the ones in need! From thief to a blessing joyful heart giver.... That is how God saves! From death to life, from darknes to light, from sinner to BLESSED (blessing) HOLY MAN. This thief may NEVER lead any person to Christ, but Christ in him will be witnessed to ALL! And he may NEVER teach a single lesson with HIS MOUTH, but HIS LIFE WILL SHOUT .... CHRIST JESUS IS IN ME, AND I IN HIM! God does not make all people teachers, pastors, prophets, apostles, or evangelists. Some he just makes HOLY MEN! Perrfect men, for HIS GLORY!

The second part of this was Stephen. Stephen, was chosen n Acts 6 to be a deacon

Feb 17, 2010
Part two... Stephen was chosen to be one of seven men.... Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. Now one of these criteria the men had to fill was that these men had to be full of the holy ghost, and wisdom. Wisdom not of this world! But the wisdom God talks about in Luke 21:15... For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. And this wisdom was WELL displayed when they stoned this man. In acts 6 we read .... And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.
Then the wonderful word of the Lord confirms.... And they were not able to resist the wisdom and the spirit by which he spake. .... Just like today, even though the people CANNOT resist the wisdom, it doe not stop them from being evil, and keep on resisting the TRUTH! So these people did what they did to Jesus, started to fabricate false witness against Stephen.

Now!!!!! The Revelation.... If Stephen did a single sin that they could recall, or charge him with, Stephen's "holiness" would have been false! And they would have had GOOD reason to stone him. BUT because he was filled with the Holy Spirit, he had something they did not have. Wisdom and faith, to KEEP HIM SPOTLESS! Holy and perfect, even HIS FLESH!

That flesh they stoned to death, did not deserve the stoning! Just as Jesus did not deserve the crusifiction. Both Jesus and Stephen were blameless, filled with Holy Spirit, and created perfect bu their Father in heaven. Stephen was so holy when he stood before the council, his face was as it had been one of an angel. Acts 6:15.... They took Stephen out of the city, and Stephen SHOWED the wisdom.... Read ACTS 7.... And just before Stephen died, he looked up into heaven, still FULL of the Holy pirit, and he saw the glory of God, and Jesus, standing on the right hand of GOD!

Now! This is the question,....When Stephen looked up into heaven, was he a sinner, needing forgiveness, or mercy or grace, or ANYTHING from God or man? NO! He was so ready to GO TO JESUS, that he says... Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
And the last words he spoke, he showed just how ALIKE Jesus God did make this evangelist/deacon.... This man's last words were very much ALIKE the words his Lord spoke.... Jesus also said.... Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.

May God have HIS WAY with my life as well! AMEN!

C

Crossfire

you might get more responses if you didn't post such long posts. just a thought.
Sound biblical doctrine takes more than a few short sentences to explain... or at least it should. :)