The Importance of Being Equally Yoked

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

true_believer

Sep 24, 2020
How important is it for a believer in search of a partner to stick to this principle?

GraceAndTruth

Sep 28, 2015
Equally yoked is the ideal. We know it is ideal because God declared man and wife to be of ONE flesh. I adore the idea that the woman was made from the PRIME RIB of Adam. The bond of being One in Christ Jesus means we are of like mind, we know the headship of the marriage and find it makes a peaceful home. Children see the best example of marriage to model in their own lives.

If only......it might be the ideal but it didn't work out so well for Adam and Eve.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
To be equally yoked is very important. Firstly the bible tells us so. Secondly to be with an unbeliever causes a whole lot of pain. They will resent you because of your faith and you will resent them because of their lack of faith.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
That doesn't work with country eggs. Yolks are too big and they break. I found that out the hard way, so I gave up and made scrambled eggs for lunch.

S

Scribe

To anyone who is involved or considering dating an unbeliever.

To be romantically involved or even best friends with an unbeliever suggest that you are like them in so many ways that you were able to progress that far in the relationship without either party being uncomfortable. That means you are not all that different in thought, and conversation than them. Paul's argument is that this should not be. It suggest that you are not hating darkness yet and therein lies your problem. It is not with them, it is with you. If you were where you should be with Christ and walking in the light you would not have anything in common with the unbeliever and would not enjoy their company since you are all about Jesus and they are not.
Paul is talking about something that should be obvious and the fact that it is not means you are not in the light like you think you are. Repentance and total surrender to Christ is what is needed. You will not find an unbeliever attractive if you are filled with the Holy Spirit.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
You can be with a Bible loving , spirit filled, born again Christian and STILL be unequally yolked! Yes, you both may be technically saved but that doesn't make it right to just be with a person because of what they believe in. I'm not recommending going out and dating or marrying an unbeliever. I'm just saying Christians have many of the same woes as unbelieving couples do. Look at the divorce rate and domestic physical & verbal abuse among believers. It all boils down to listening to God and trusting in Him for that special someone. God gave us all a brain and we need to use it . God gave us His Spirit for discernment. We've got the tools to succeed. Why do we complicate things?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
its yoked not yolked

as in YOKE - a harness for two bullocks ploughing a field side by side.
Its hard work!!

Its not about how many eggs you have...(men dont have any!)

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
its yoked not yolked

as in YOKE - a harness for two bullocks ploughing a field side by side.
Its hard work!!

Its not about how many eggs you have...(men dont have any!)
😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂 Ooops!

true_believer

Sep 24, 2020
You can be with a Bible loving , spirit filled, born again Christian and STILL be unequally yolked! Yes, you both may be technically saved but that doesn't make it right to just be with a person because of what they believe in. I'm not recommending going out and dating or marrying an unbeliever. I'm just saying Christians have many of the same woes as unbelieving couples do. Look at the divorce rate and domestic physical & verbal abuse among believers. It all boils down to listening to God and trusting in Him for that special someone. God gave us all a brain and we need to use it . God gave us His Spirit for discernment. We've got the tools to succeed. Why do we complicate things?
Marrying a believer is no guarantee of marital bliss. But being with someone that shares your values and world view increases the odds of long-term success in realtionship.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
The bible verse isnt even specifically referring to marriage. Its referring to being unequally yoked together with unbelievers (PLURAL) not being unequally yoked to an unbeliever (single)

i.e the Corinthians trying to worship idols such as Belial as well as Christ.

why people try to make it about marriage or dating I dont know.

Another thing is we are not even meant to be yoked to a believer. (Is marriage a yoke? ) we aee meant to be yoked to God. He INVITES us to be yoked to him to learn from him. Whos yoke is easy and burden is light.

Do you worship your spouse? That is a silly thing to do. A spouse is not God.

true_believer

Sep 24, 2020
A couple of years ago I was dating a woman that was born Catholic and was irreligious at the time we were together. I was about to say grace infront of her and her 5 year old. She quipped, "We don't say grace in this house". She darted into the kitchen and I said grace anyway. Many Christian ladies told me that should have been my cue to walk out of there immediately.

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
A couple of years ago I was dating a woman that was born Catholic and was irreligious at the time we were together. I was about to say grace infront of her and her 5 year old. She quipped, "We don't say grace in this house". She darted into the kitchen and I said grace anyway. Many Christian ladies told me that should have been my cue to walk out of there immediately.
Sometimes we learn the hard way. I was in a relationship with a women who was true to her beliefs, but she had a lot problems that I just couldn’t handle.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
In my devotional this morning was the verse Matthew 11:28-30

folks the yoke isnt a spouse its Jesus.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Well there is no way I'm ever going to be equally yoked with Him... I'll never be that good.