The Importance of doctrine

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Really every Christian has heard and believed. It occurs to me how very different a message we have heard. From each subject like repentance , baptism , communion, new birth , the law of Moses , the laying on of hands ect

every subject the Bible presents to us we somehow find opposing answers and thoughts about. It’s like we do t understand the order of things , of who in the Bible we belong to and are supposed to go to and believe in and trust and learn from.

“doctrine “ sounds like sort of a legal and boring technical term but really doctrine is what creates our faith and teaches us what to believe about the lord Jesus and his kingdom , what to believe about ourselves , the world we live in and maybe most importantly doctrine teaches us what to do to please God

were taught what to do to have our sins remitted in Jesus name

were taught what to do in remembrance of Jesus sacrifice of his body and blood for our sins

were taught most importantly how to treat one another how to treat strangers and how to treat the poor and destitute the down trodden and forgotten of society.

We’re taught how to live a life that God is pleased to be called our God and father as Christian’s the doctrine of Jesus Christ we find in the gospel his teachings and wisdom given to believers that are willing to hear him the son teach of God the Father and of the Holy Spirit given to those that accept and believe in him

his doctrine should be the governing aspect of our lives

“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: for he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.”
‭‭2 John‬ ‭1:9-11‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his Lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭15:5-10, 13-15‬

No matter what people tell us true Doctrine is really really important because it’s what creates our belief we want this to create our belief we Christian’s are Jesus disciples they called his disciples Christian’s at Antioch and it stuck a Christian is a person that believes in Jesus the Christ. And his teachings he said will save souls

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
‭‭John‬ ‭8:31-32‬ ‭

“…Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”
‭‭John‬ ‭5:24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.”
‭‭John‬ ‭12:48-50‬ ‭

What if we believed what Jesus was shouting to everyone who would listen would his promise be true ? Consider believing based on what the lord said to believe ( if you don’t already of course ) it will change your faith to hear the Lords word of life

God bless zz

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
No matter what people tell us true Doctrine is really really important because it’s what creates our belief we want this to create our belief we Christian’s are Jesus disciples they called his disciples Christian’s at Antioch and it stuck a Christian is a person that believes in Jesus the Christ. And his teachings he said will save souls
Yes it is. And being able to discern between true Doctrine and the traditions of men that have replaced true Doctrine is very important as well. (now, that may just be me, so)

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Yes it is. And being able to discern between true Doctrine and the traditions of men that have replaced true Doctrine is very important as well. (now, that may just be me, so)
I agree it’s why the gospel has a so important that we try to stick with what the lord said and not what man created and distorted after

“Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.”
‭‭John‬ ‭18:37‬ ‭

preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine;

but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; and they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
‭‭2 Timothy‬ ‭4:2-4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

If we stick to the truth we can’t really be deceived by contrary things

if so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: that ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; ( repent )

and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; ( believe the gospel )

and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.”( and act in it )
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭4:21-24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Mar 18, 2024
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.
Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
‭‭John‬ ‭7:16-17‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Dec 29, 2023
The Importance of doctrine

Our doctrine (teaching) should only come from God's Word:
See 1 Corinthians 9:21, Galatians 6:2, James 2:12, James 1:25, 2 John 1:9, Hebrews 6:1, Acts 2:42, 1 Timothy 6:3-5

1 Corinthians 9:21
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

James 2:12
So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

2 John 1:9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Hebrews 6:1
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Our doctrine (teaching) should only come from God's Word:
See 1 Corinthians 9:21, Galatians 6:2, James 2:12, James 1:25, 2 John 1:9, Hebrews 6:1, Acts 2:42, 1 Timothy 6:3-5

1 Corinthians 9:21
To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Galatians 6:2
Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

James 2:12
So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

James 1:25
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

2 John 1:9
Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.

Hebrews 6:1
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Acts 2:42
And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

1 Timothy 6:3-5
If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;
He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.
Yes I agree it should begin and end with the gospel actually and more specifically is where Christian’s doctrine should come from that’s the foundation of it all

“and not as Moses, which put a vail over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished: but their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.

But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.”
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭3:13-15‬ ‭KJV‬‬

we want as Christian’s to be as children and come to Jesus first and foremost he’s our lord and teacher and savior and friend

“And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭16:15-16‬ ‭KJV‬‬

thats why this post is about learning of and from Jesus and what he actually taught in the gospel

Dec 29, 2023
thats why this post is about learning of and from Jesus and what he actually taught in the gospel

And one need to understand that Jesus continued His teaching ministry after going back to Heaven thru His Apostles.

Their writings flow with the red letters in our bibles.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
And one need to understand that Jesus continued His teaching ministry after going back to Heaven thru His Apostles.

Their writings flow with the red letters in our bibles.
Absolutely I agree but they don’t erase anything he taught the apostles writings are this being fulfilled

When the apostles received the Holy Ghost and began to teach it was this

I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.”
‭‭John‬ ‭16:12-14‬ ‭KJV‬‬

For instance when we read Paul he isn’t teaching a different gospel from Jesus he’s teaching about it helping us better understand the things Jesus began to teach the other apostles

So yes I fully agree the apostles also were his witnesses to the world but they didn’t erase what he said they taught of it and revealed it more for us like you said there they flow with Jesus words just right

Dec 29, 2023
So yes I fully agree the apostles also were his witnesses to the world but they didn’t erase what he said they taught of it and revealed it more for us like you said there they flow with Jesus words just right

What the Apostles wrote was by the leading of the Lord as Jesus was continuing His own teaching ministry so of course He is not going to contradict what He taught during His earthly ministry

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It seems that you are telling Christians to ignore everything else in the NT except the Gospels. That in itself is false. What Christ taught was the FOUNDATION. What the apostles added was necessary to provide the full teaching.

We are not to forget that after His resurrection, the Lord taught the apostles many things which are not recorded in the Gospels. Then He gave direct revelations to the apostle Paul, some of which were not even given to the other apostles. Firstly the entire Bible is for doctrine (2 Tim 3:16,17). Then more particularly the entire New Testament is also for developed Christian doctrine.

Regarding "the doctrine of Christ" and its perversion and rejection by the "antichrists", this pertains to how the Gnostics were perverting Gospel truth, and rejecting the doctrine that the Lord Jesus Christ is fully God and also fully sinless Man at one and the same time, and that He actually died for our sins and rose again for our justification. The Gnostics also perverted and corrupted the Scriptures, thus we have the corrupt manuscripts which now support all the modern bible versions. But John was not the only one speaking out against the Gnostics. Paul also spoke out against them.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
What the Apostles wrote was by the leading of the Lord as Jesus was continuing His own teaching ministry so of course He is not going to contradict what He taught during His earthly ministry
Right we agree

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I am now wondering why my post strikes PilgrimsHope as "funny". There is absolutely nothing humorous is that post. But people generally put that emoji on posts which make then uneasy.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It seems that you are telling Christians to ignore everything else in the NT except the Gospels. That in itself is false. What Christ taught was the FOUNDATION. What the apostles added was necessary to provide the full teaching.

We are not to forget that after His resurrection, the Lord taught the apostles many things which are not recorded in the Gospels. Then He gave direct revelations to the apostle Paul, some of which were not even given to the other apostles. Firstly the entire Bible is for doctrine (2 Tim 3:16,17). Then more particularly the entire New Testament is also for developed Christian doctrine.

Regarding "the doctrine of Christ" and its perversion and rejection by the "antichrists", this pertains to how the Gnostics were perverting Gospel truth, and rejecting the doctrine that the Lord Jesus Christ is fully God and also fully sinless Man at one and the same time, and that He actually died for our sins and rose again for our justification. The Gnostics also perverted and corrupted the Scriptures, thus we have the corrupt manuscripts which now support all the modern bible versions. But John was not the only one speaking out against the Gnostics. Paul also spoke out against them.
Lol it never fails man

“It seems that you are telling Christians to ignore everything else in the NT except the Gospels.That in itself is false.”

yeah if anyone ever said that it would be a bad teaching ……I’ve never said any such thing so yoye interpretation is bad there that’s not what I’m saying or ever have said not ever would say his chosen apostles are his chosen and annointed witnesses that finished writing th e New Testament and chrirtians should definately accept the apostles writings as well so the whole argument there is sort of irrelevant I’ve never claimed anyone should ignore any thing in scripture not the old or New Testament

what I am saying is the law of Moses easnt sent to the world for salvstion the fospem was sent to the world for salvation the apostles are just doing what Jesus said they would do …….

hope things are well Nehemiah

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
I am now wondering why my post strikes PilgrimsHope as "funny". There is absolutely nothing humorous is that post. But people generally put that emoji on posts which make then uneasy.
Your constant attempts to twist things other people say and argue about it is extremely humorous to me actually it sums up out half of your interactions with me over two years lol sort of comical but no offense intended finny is funny

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
This one’s even more comical lol how hard you try to argue

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Yeah your sort of preaching to the chior brother

“And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭2:4‬ ‭KJV‬‬

A man filled with his spirit is how God has always spoken to mankind.

what made the apostles matter and be what they are and gave them authority is the Holy Spirit they received it’s the same spirit Jesus received at baptism and then he began preaching the gospel shortly after he was tempted and overcame in the desert

jesus words are Gods words spoken by him that made the covenant between he and mankind is my point

Peters words aren’t the covenant Jesus words are he’s the covenant maker the mediator the things he preached is what they were all talking about in person and also what they were writing about in thier epistles it was them preaching the gospel

they didn’t just go around repeating lines they we’re teaching the things and lessons Jesus was teaching them to begin with but with more I understandable and applicable language not so much parabolic language like Jesus

The people they wrote the epistles to had all heard them preaching the gospel itself and believed before they ever wrote the epistles the epistles are definately of the Holy Spirit which is what actually matters so we definately agree the apostles are to be accepted as well and really if we read the things in the gospel first well understand the epistles much much better also the prophets help us understand because the apostles quote them so much as tbey explain what they meant

The gospel is where God offers salvation the rest is witnessing that the gospel os true and helping believers understand it without the gospels the epistles wouldnt exist or make sense

Jesus isn’t a servant of Jesus he is the king the apostles are his messengers and servants

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
Well let the music and singing began!
Very well here’s a tune bout Jesus I like

“O Sing unto the LORD a new song: Sing unto the LORD, all the earth. Sing unto the LORD, bless his name; Shew forth his salvation from day to day. Declare his glory among the heathen, His wonders among all people. ( mark 16:15-16)

For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: He is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the nations are idols: But the LORD made the heavens. Honour and majesty are before him: Strength and beauty are in his sanctuary. Give unto the LORD, O ye kindreds of the people, Give unto the LORD glory and strength. Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name: Bring an offering, and come into his courts. O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: Fear before him, all the earth. Say among the heathen that the LORD reigneth: The world also shall be established that it shall not be moved: He shall judge the people righteously. Let the heavens rejoice, and let the earth be glad; Let the sea roar, and the fulness thereof. Let the field be joyful, and all that is therein: Then shall all the trees of the wood rejoice Before the LORD: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: He shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth.”
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭96:1-13‬ ‭