the intent of the law

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 4, 2012
Thought I would paste this here for the law keepers.
I wonder since we have so many law keepers here. The law states that if you brother dies and has a wife that you are obligated to provide him an heir by his wife that is now your wife. Or do the law keepers pick and choose.
Is the pope catholic?

Sep 4, 2012
Eph 2
14For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity.

What does this mean?
It means that Christ destroyed the partition that separated mankind from GOD, that was symbolized by the veil in the temple that divided it in half into the holy and holiest places. The veil symbolized the enmity between GOD and man caused through sin demarcated by the law. The Greek in Eph 2:14 actually says that Christ destroyed the mid-wall of the barrier; and the gospels state that the veil, the mid-wall between the holy and holiest places, was rent apart.

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; Ephesians 2:15

Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus, By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; And having an high priest over the house of God; Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water. Hebrews 10:19-22​

The one new man made out of two refers to the two groups of people during the time of the old covenant: those under the law and those not under the law.

As many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. Romans 2:12​

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Interestingly enough the law was not God's idea. Israel asked Moses to prevail upon God for the law that Israel might show God how good they were. Had God given only one law it would have been sufficient to demonstrate that all men are transgressors but God gave ten to leave no doubt of the need for a redeemer. Luke 10:27 sums it all up. What is the intent of the law? To make sin personal. To show everyman why they must be saved or face eternal condemnation. Sin was in the world before the law but the law made it personal. That is why salvation is for the whosoever will in all the world.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Sep 4, 2012

Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace; Ephesians 2:15
I don't think this quote of Ephesians 2:15 that I provided is an accurate representation of what the text actually says. Verse 14 needs to be included to clarify that the commandments were not the enmity:

For he himself is our peace, who made both [those circumcised and those uncircumcised] one and broke down the dividing wall of the partition, the enmity, in his flesh; rendering entirely idle the law of commandments in ordinances, in order that he might create the two in himself into one new man, making peace, Ephesians 2:14-15​

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
1Co 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
1Co 1:22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1Co 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1Co 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1Co 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
1Co 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
1Co 1:28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
1Co 1:29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
1Co 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Co 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
Isa 8:8 And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.
Isa 8:9 Associate yourselves, O ye people, and ye shall be broken in pieces; and give ear, all ye of far countries: gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.
Isa 8:10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.
Isa 8:11 For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying,
Isa 8:12 Say ye not, A confederacy, to all them to whom this people shall say, A confederacy; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid.
Isa 8:13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts himself; and let him be your fear, and let him be your dread.
Isa 8:14 And he shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.

Isa 8:15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.
Isa 8:16
Bind up the testimony, seal the law among my disciples.
Isa 8:17 And I will wait upon the LORD, that hideth his face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for him.
Isa 8:18 Behold, I and the children whom the LORD hath given me are for signs and for wonders in Israel from the LORD of hosts, which dwelleth in mount Zion.
Isa 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
Isa 8:20
To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Apostol2013

Jan 27, 2013
away the Law of moses and liveth the Law of the Spirit of God in Righteousness psa 45:6-7 rom 8:2