The Internet

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

Do you think the Internet has hindered or helped personal relationships? Do you think it has deterred people from communicating more in person? Do you think it helps bring people out of their shells more? How do you think it has impacted dating positively/negatively? How has it affected you, personally?

Last edited by a moderator:

JimJimmers

Apr 26, 2012
I think it helps some (shy) people in personal relationships, and probably hurts some others who get addicted to it. And it has probably impacted dating the same way, positive for some, and negative for some. I'm not sure how it has affected me, to be honest. One thing I know, I had no idea how close you could get to a person through the ether, and be actual friends with someone over the internet.

O

OFM

it can help just keep in contact with each other i feel we need one to one in person face to face personal contact in all interpersonal realationships.no not proper spiritual for dating at all ever.

B

Brandon777

it can help just keep in contact with each other i feel we need one to one in person face to face personal contact in all interpersonal realationships.no not proper spiritual for dating at all ever.
Why not? So you can't smooch n' cuddle? Hey.. it helps people like me to stay pure till marriage. Think about that.

M

MYRedeemedinJC

It totally depends on the responsibility of the person using these sites, you have to be honest of the things that you say on these sites if you are going to say something and if you aren't about certain things avoid themes you are insecure about, so you at least don't make something up, so don't click on something that has no relation to you or you have no idea about and not part of ur interests.. But it can help people express themselves whereas otherwise they wouldn't have, it can also make a person think, and that person can make themselves better! But on the down side, if you aren't responsible and you are reckless of how you use it, it can be a bad thing that causes trouble in communication and personal relationships,things will just go downhill. these people need to stop using the internet.. I'm just saying! You have to think about what you are doing when you are going to do something on the internet.. :)!

The internet. If you use it, use it accordingly and wisely!

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
The internet is a double edged sword. Facebook and other social media sites have permanently changed the way that people stay in touch and interact. In some ways they are a good thing because they have made it easier to stay in touch with and update friends and family about things that are going on in life, but for many people these sites have taken the place of actually getting together, spending time, and doing things together. From what I've seen people are much more likely to update their status, or post something on someone's wall than actually pick up the phone and talk to someone, or to drive across town and sit down and have a cup of coffee with someone.

Sure, site's like this one give those people that are extremely shy or shut in's the capability to "get out" and interact with people, but at the same time they also give those extremely shy people the excuse to not take the next step and develop "real" friends.

As far as dating, I see that the internet has really opened up the opportunities for single people to interact with a broad spectrum of other singles that the would never have met otherwise. I know of numerous couples who are happily married that wouldn't have met without the internet. Of course the whole long distance relationship thing has it's pro's and con's and some people just aren't up to the challenges involved.

As far as the affects that the internet has had on me personally, I have found it to be a good thing. My internet use was pretty minimal prior to finding this site, just checking e-mail or searching for information. I came here during a time in life where I was a "financial shut-in" I was unemployed and really couldn't afford the fuel, etc to get out and see friends. Since then it has opened up doors both socially and for ministry. Simply put, some of the people that I hold in highest regard both as friends and brothers and sisters in Christ are people that I interact with here, and there are a few of those that I definitely would like to meet in person if the opportunity arises.

C

CC_Bride

The internet has helped some to sin more, and some to glorify God more.

At the end of the day its the tool that reflects the person and how they used it..

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
Do you think the Internet has hindered or helped personal relationships?

I think it has done more harm than good to relationships because thanks to facebook and google it is easy to get in touch with old flames or find out that an old flame has tracked you down. It also makes it easy for an admirer to communicate with you in private without your spouse or bf/gf finding out.

Lets face it - Its the ultimate tool for cheating!

Do you think it has deterred people from communicating more in person? Do you think it helps bring people out of their shells more?

Yes because you don't have to worry about being self-conscious on the internet. Its the easiest way to meet and communicate with people without having them know what you are really like in real life.

How do you think it has impacted dating positively/negatively? How has it affected you, personally?

I've dated a couple of women that I met through the internet and they were all positive experiences. Of course, it can be risky but I think that if you spend enough time to get to know someone as much as you can online first and over the phone (voice, not text) then you greatly increase your chances of having a positive experience. :)