The meaning of Corban?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MaryM

Nov 25, 2022
I have never come across this word before and would appreciate clarification please as to it's meaning and whether it can apply as a principal at all to our modern lives.

I gather it was a traditional Hebrew way of dedicating money to God, in preparation to using it for good works, in helping the disadvantaged in society.

seekingthemindofChrist

Casting down imaginations
Jul 10, 2023
Mark 7:11

"But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free."

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
HELPS Word-studies
2878 korbán (see OT 7133/quārbān) – Corban; properly, a gift (offering) dedicated to God, and misused by the Jews as a way to evade their rightful duty to God to care for aged parents (etc.).

Interesting read on this -----

https://www.gotquestions.org/corban.html
What does Corban mean in Mark 7:11?

The word Corban is only found in Mark 7:11. The interpretation is given in the same verse: “devoted to God as a gift.” The word described something to be offered to God or given to the sacred treasury in the temple. If something was “Corban,” it was dedicated and set apart for God’s use.

In the context of Mark 7:1-13, Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees about ritual without reality. The Pharisees had asked why the disciples did not wash their hands according to the ritualistic tradition of the elders (Mark 7:5). This hand-washing was not what we think of today with soap and water. It was not for cleanliness; rather, it was a prescribed ritual done as a show of piety.

In answer to the Pharisees’ question, Jesus told them that they had rejected the commandment of God in order to keep their own tradition (Mark 7:6-9). Jesus gives the proof of their corruption of the Law by citing their use of “Corban.” Moses had instructed God’s people to “honor their father and mother” (Exodus 20:12), but the Pharisees negated that command by teaching that they could give money to the temple in lieu of helping their parents in need. Whatever money might have been used to provide for aging parents could be dedicated to the temple treasury instead. Saying, “It is Corban” would exempt a person from his responsibility to his parents. In other words, the Pharisees took a legitimate Corban offering and used it in an illegitimate and devious way to defraud their parents (and enrich themselves). Thus, the Law of God was nullified.

Jesus tells the Pharisees that their misuse of Corban was an evil rationale to avoid doing what they should. God never intended that the good principle of devoting something to the temple should be twisted to dishonor fathers and mothers. Ritual without reality is what the Pharisaic religion was all about. It was also ritual without righteousness and without relationship. Jesus taught that, without a personal relationship with God, ritual profits nothing, and the traditions of man should never usurp the authority of God’s Word.

presidente

May 29, 2013
HELPS Word-studies
It was also ritual without righteousness and without relationship. Jesus taught that, without a personal relationship with God, ritual profits nothing, and the traditions of man should never usurp the authority of God’s Word.
Where did Jesus say that about the 'personal relationship with God'?

That seems to be the modern American evangelical emphasis, but is that really the emphasis of the New Testament? Paul talked about being reconciled to God. Jesus did talk about knowing God and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent. But the 'personal relationship' language, with that kind of wording... I can't find that in the Bible. It doesn't exactly seem to be the focus of Jesus' teaching, so it irks me a bit to read such comments.

presidente

May 29, 2013
That article on Corban is good. I speak Indonesian and 'korban' is the word for sacrifice... or victim.

But just imagine if someone had a Biblical obligation to support his parents... and apparently that is included in 'Honor thy father and thy mother' according to Jesus. I hear that the Jerusalem Talmud says to keep ones parents up and the Babylonian Talmud says to do so if they need the help. The Babylonians were probably a bit more affluent. That has a moral implication for us today.

But also, if you devoted a gift as an offering to God, for example through a vow, you had to keep that promise. That's a big deal.

So there were Jewish teachers teaching that if you devoted all the gifts you would have given to your parents to God, you couldn't give to your parents. Maybe some people were trying to use that as a legal out not to support their parents, and the way this was taught or applied might have been done as a strategy to remove parental support from the budget.

Come to think of it it might speak to the issue of keeping commandments versus keeping vows. God had told Israel to wipe out the Canaanites, but the Gibeonite Canaanites tricked them into making a covenant, so they didn't kill them. Later, when Saul killed Gibeonites, Israel experienced famine, some time afterward, due to the covenant breaking.

But apparently a foolish evil oath doesn't alleviate one from the commandment to honor parents.

What do you do if parents don't want to take money from you? I'm not providing a significant portion of my parents' income. I notice I can increase the amount on restaurant gift cards given at birthdays and mother's and father's day without objection.

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022

That seems to be the modern American evangelical emphasis, but is that really the emphasis of the New Testament? Paul talked about being reconciled to God. Jesus did talk about knowing God and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent. But the 'personal relationship' language, with that kind of wording... I can't find that in the Bible. It doesn't exactly seem to be the focus of Jesus' teaching, so it irks me a bit to read such comments.
God came and walked daily with Adam and Eve. The ability to relate is the basis of a relationship with God. And it is this intimate knowledge of God that was lost when sin entered in. And it is what is restored to believers in the granting of eternal life.

presidente

May 29, 2013
God came and walked daily with Adam and Eve. The ability to relate is the basis of a relationship with God. And it is this intimate knowledge of God that was lost when sin entered in. And it is what is restored to believers in the granting of eternal life.

I take it that quote was from the article. I don't see the 'personal relationshippy' type language from Jesus, except that one quote that eternal life is knowing God and Jesus Christ Whom He hath sent from John 17.

It irks me a bit when evangelicals offer people salvation after a schpeel about needing a personal relationship, but leave out the gospel part-- about Who Jesus is, the cross, the resurrection, etc. That seems to be the norm. repeat some kind of prayer and BAM!, you are declared saved.

An unexplained speech about 'personal relationship' substitutes for the actual Biblical gospel, even though 'personal relationship' is not really the language or focus I see in the Gospels or epistles.

We also end up with people saying that they don't want to talk about religion or faith because it is so 'personal'. I wonder if this originated with evangelical preaching, adding 'personal' to 'Savior' or if American evangelicalism just added fuel to this fire.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
God came and walked daily with Adam and Eve. The ability to relate is the basis of a
relationship with God. And it is this intimate knowledge of God that was lost when
sin entered in. And it is what is restored to believers in the granting of eternal life.

John 17:2-3~ You granted Him authority over all people, so that He may give eternal life to all those You have given Him. Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, Whom You have sent.:)

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
I take it that quote was from the article. I don't see the 'personal relationshippy' type language from Jesus, except that one quote that eternal life is knowing God and Jesus Christ Whom He hath sent from John 17.

It irks me a bit when evangelicals offer people salvation after a schpeel about needing a personal relationship, but leave out the gospel part-- about Who Jesus is, the cross, the resurrection, etc. That seems to be the norm. repeat some kind of prayer and BAM!, you are declared saved.

An unexplained speech about 'personal relationship' substitutes for the actual Biblical gospel, even though 'personal relationship' is not really the language or focus I see in the Gospels or epistles.

We also end up with people saying that they don't want to talk about religion or faith because it is so 'personal'. I wonder if this originated with evangelical preaching, adding 'personal' to 'Savior' or if American evangelicalism just added fuel to this fire.
John 14 begins Jesus teaching where He speaks of having the same intimate relationship with God that He Himself shares with the Father. The outworking of it is seen in chapter 15 with the example of the vine and the branches. Chapter 17 is a culmination of the teaching that led up to it. There is much more to the teaching than a single verse.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
I realize we're getting off-topic, but I am in agreement with this.

Mem

Sep 23, 2014
Korban: Sacrifice, Offering, Gift (Matthew 5:23)
23So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24leave your gift there before the altar. First go and be reconciled to your brother; then come and offer your gift.
The Hebrew root comes from the root korav meaning to "come close," specifically, to come close to God. The offering was meant to bring someone who was far near once again. (Hebrew4Christians, Hebrew Glossary)

The Korban sacrifices were examples and shadows of the heavenly reality that was given in the Lamb of God, Jesus, the ultimate "korban" that brings us into eternal fellowship with God. He is the Father's Gift (ibid., Parashat Terumah-Sanctuary of the Heart).

Ultimately, every lesson seems to me to be about reflecting the love of God to those far off, and no less to those near also.

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
But the 'personal relationship' language, with that kind of wording... I can't find that in the Bible. It doesn't exactly seem to be the focus of Jesus' teaching, so it irks me a bit to read such comments.
Your understanding seems to be limited to having the very wording inserted in the Scripture -----

To be saved you must receive Jesus in your heart ------and have Christ dwell in you -----that is very personal and it is a relationship between you and Jesus ------you can talk to God through Prayer ----you can ask for His will to be done in your life ----you can take all your burdens to Him and He will lighten your load -----you can walk with Him Daily and He will direct your path ---

Dictionary meaning
personal relationship----

bonding - a close personal relationship that forms between people

indebtedness, obligation - a personal relation in which one is indebted for a service or favor

From Google

How do you bond with God?

5 Ways to Strengthen Your Relationship with God
  1. Humble Yourself and Pray.
  2. Read and Study Your Bible.
  3. Join a Group of Like-Minded Believers.
  4. Do for Others.
  5. Seek Out Your Spiritual Gifts.

Read all yourselves

What does it mean to have a personal relationship with God?
https://www.gotquestions.org/personal-relationship-with-God.html

Having a personal relationship with God begins the moment we realize our need for Him, admit we are sinners, and in faith receive Jesus Christ as Savior. God, our heavenly Father, has always desired to be close to us, to have a relationship with us. Before Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Genesis chapter 3), both he and Eve knew God on an intimate, personal level. They walked with Him in the garden and talked directly to Him. Due to the sin of man, we became separated and disconnected from God.

Ted01

May 14, 2022

How do you view a relationship between a father and his child?
And Jesus called the disciples (and any who believe on Him) family. Also, friends... are these not references to a personal relationship?

presidente

May 29, 2013
Your understanding seems to be limited to having the very wording inserted in the Scripture -----

To be saved you must receive Jesus in your heart ------and have Christ dwell in you -----that is very personal and it is a relationship between you and Jesus ------you can talk to God through Prayer ----you can ask for His will to be done in your life ----you can take all your burdens to Him and He will lighten your load -----you can walk with Him Daily and He will direct your path ---

Dictionary meaning
personal relationship----

bonding - a close personal relationship that forms between people

indebtedness, obligation - a personal relation in which one is indebted for a service or favor

From Google

How do you bond with God?

5 Ways to Strengthen Your Relationship with God
  1. Humble Yourself and Pray.
  2. Read and Study Your Bible.
  3. Join a Group of Like-Minded Believers.
  4. Do for Others.
  5. Seek Out Your Spiritual Gifts.

Read all yourselves

What does it mean to have a personal relationship with God?
https://www.gotquestions.org/personal-relationship-with-God.html

Having a personal relationship with God begins the moment we realize our need for Him, admit we are sinners, and in faith receive Jesus Christ as Savior. God, our heavenly Father, has always desired to be close to us, to have a relationship with us. Before Adam sinned in the Garden of Eden (Genesis chapter 3), both he and Eve knew God on an intimate, personal level. They walked with Him in the garden and talked directly to Him. Due to the sin of man, we became separated and disconnected from God.
When people hear 'personal relationship' they might think of long interactive conversations over dinner, or maybe focus on 'personal' and how it is mine and no one else's and no one else may know.

Look at that list in your post. If you hadn't heard 'personal relationship' so much from church people, would you describe that list as a definition or description of 'personal relationship?'

A personal relationship with God is a good thing, and for some people it is more personal than it is for others. And for some Christians it is more of a relationship than it is for others in terms of feeling like a close bond with someone else.

Neither of these things are the Gospel. Our relationship with God comes after we believe the Gospel. But preaching about personal relationship is not a substitute for preaching the Gospel.

presidente

May 29, 2013
It was also ritual without righteousness and without relationship. Jesus taught that, without a personal relationship with God, ritual profits nothing, and the traditions of man should never usurp the authority of God’s Word.
Paul's criticism of non-remnant Israel was 'because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law.' He didn't criticize his former religion for not being 'personal' enough.'

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We also end up with people saying that they don't want to talk about religion or faith because it is so 'personal'.
And the proper response should be "Of course it is personal. You and God face-to-face. If you don't want to talk about it now, you will be talking about it at the Great White Throne Judgment". But there is no question that the first order of business must be a clear presentation of the true Gospel whether to an individual or to a group.