The Modern Church/Seeker-Sensitive Movement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 26, 2011
My comments in blue.

do you disagree with her statement?

"We can't stop sinning by our own strength. Only by His Spirit and guidance can we truly overcome the sin nature in each of us." The statement is erroneous because it is presented in the context of being "born with a sin nature." The "nature to sin" is something that develops over time due to long practiced habit, it is not something we are born with. We are born subject to the natural passions of the flesh, those passions are not sin and they are not a sin nature.

All human beings have the full capability to forsake their sin. Nineveh forsook their sin, did they have to be indwelt by the Holy Spirit to do so? Well did they? No! They had to be broken in repentance.

Do you belive you can stop sinning by your own strength without the Holy Spirit and His guidance? The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgment. Jesus Christ is also the light that lights everyone who comes into the world (Joh 1:9) and the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men teaching them how to live (Tit 2:11-12) thus THERE IS NO SUCH THING as forsaking sin without the guidance of God.

This "stop sinning by your own strength" is an erroneous statement premised on the fallacy of being "born a sinner." Throw that Augustinian heresy out the window and suddenly the Bible actually begins to make sense and there is no need to explain away the Scriptures.

Or do you need help understanding these scriptures?

for us to confess our sins we must first acknowledge that we have sinned and have humble and contrite hearts and want God to cleanse us. otherwise its no true confession, just false justification of actions that go contray to God's word and will. Not just confess, FORSAKE TOO. You don't approach God confessing you have murdered people and then go back out and keep killing. That is not repentance. You approach God having forsaken the sin of murder and then you confess your crimes. God will not cleanse an individual who is persistent in their rebellion. A humble and contrite individual is no longer in rebellion any more than the Prodigal Son was still in the pig pen when he approached his father.

you can't say "Sorry God for ______(fill in your pet sin)_____ but if you had given me the strength (or if that woman that you gave hadn't tempted me) I wouldn't have done it." Temptation is common to man (1Cor 10:13) and the reason people sin is because they are drawn away (tempted) by the lusts of the flesh (Jam 1:14-15). God expects us to rule over the lusts of the flesh (Gen 4:7).

that's not confessing your sins, that is shifting blame.

Confessing is taking responsibility for your past actions and asking God for forgiveness. It is simply impossible to take full responsibility if one believes they were "born a sinner" and that this "sinful state" NECESSITATED actual sin. The mind will always shift the blame to being "born sinful" as opposed to "choosing to sin." This teaching of being "born a sinner" is one of the most dangerous and deceptive doctrines that the world has ever seen for it wreaks havoc on the salvation message.

Knowing that you don't deserve it but having faith that God loves you enough to cleanse you and teach you His ways. Yes that is write. Just like Nineveh who said "who can tell" in regards to God granting them mercy. They did not presume automatic forgiveness, for they were truly repentant.

sorry OP for going off topic....

A

Ariel82

Indeed it is the Spirit of God that works a godly sorrow unto repentance but it is DYING WITH CHRIST and thus DYING TO SIN that achieves the release from bondage. This occurs BEFORE salvation not afterwards.

The Bible is VERY CLEAR that the rebellion must cease BEFORE forgiveness is granted. VERY CLEAR!

Modern theology completely negates that truth as I clearly demonstrate. That is the central issue which needs to be addressed.
No you haven't demonstrated anything except your ability to twist others responses and ignore what is said.

A

Ariel82

Natural passions of the flesh that lead people to sin? Though they by themselves are not sin...hmmm.. wonder what people call that? Another thread perhaps this one is about seeker driven churches

O

oOfallen_angelOo

What are your thoughts on the Modern Church/Seeker-Sensitive Movement? Is it natural progression from "old-school" ministry tactics, or is it a departure from Scripture? Do you believe we are the Church Jesus said He was coming back for in Ephesians 5:27, a Church "without spot or blemish"? Or are we more like the Apostate Church the Apostle Paul speaks of in II Timothy 4:3 with our Universalistic Message that says God accepts you no matter what? This post is not meant to demonize the Modern Church, I would just like your input on the matter.
A church without " spot or blemish,"

That church hasn't existed since the death of the last apostle; even a little before then, Paul is asking the churches why they are already abandoning Christ's gospel.

Jesus Christ said the true church would be lost after his death and the apostles in the Parable of the weeds and wheat, in which the devil was to sow his deception - even in the churches.

Everyone was to come into Satan's deception, which means the true church would have to be established after this has taken place, in order to guide God's people back in the true holy direction.

The Universalistic Message contradicts the church being " blameless," because no where in the Bible is it ever declared that God accepts you no matter what.

Matter of factly, God lays out his desired regulations for his people pretty boldly to be followed if you believe.

The universal teaching of God's acceptance is a bit...arrogant, no offense, because it's saying that what you choose to personally believe, even if it is against the Bible, is what God should accept, and shouldn't rebuke you for completely blowing off his established teachings - which were put into place thousands of years by Jesus Christ before any modern day movement.

Paul says that we learn the future from what has been written in the old testament; everything in the Bible was written for a reason; even Jesus fulfilled the old covenant through the commands of the New Covenant, which brought us into a modern form. Obviously we are not sacrificing animals or stoning people;

A girl asked me why the Bible " stopped " after Jesus's time, in respect to the Covenant; Actually Jesus's Christ way of fulfilling the regulations of the Old Covenant into the New Covenant, made that modern transition. Instead of sacrificing animals, Jesus was the sacrifice for all the Old Covenant regulations; instead of people being physically put to death for breaking the Old Covenant, people face spiritual destruction for breaking the New Covenant. Instead of killing a lamb, sprinkling blood and eating it - we have the Passover which is the blood and body of the Lamb - Jesus Christ ( hence why he was called the Lamb.)

Jesus didn't abolish anything, but fulfilled it in a way that transitioned old school practices, into new school one's already acceptable by God. There's no need for new ideas, or dismissal of the Old ways - because the Old ways are revealed in the new ways, and the spiritual meaning of the new ways, are revealed through the old ways.

The New Testament is full of personal testimony from the apostles, in which they warn about Christians following the traditions of mankind in order to worship God; that is, creating new ways to worship God, or following one's own way than what is in the Bible.

And no, the New Testament ways of the Bible don't include stoning or sacrificing of animals as explained above; the first regulation is to keep the true Passover - which is not communion or the eucharist - and then God's commandments will be written on your heart.

And no, the true Passover is not the old school killing of a Lamb; it is indeed the eating of Jesus's flesh and blood ( bread and wine,) which Jesus Christ himself specified as the Passover feast - not communion or anything of the sort. There is an appointed time for it, and the Passover has incredibly sacred meaning since the Passover God told the people to keep in Egypt, to the same Passover of the New Covenant that grants eternal life.

Matthew Chapter 26 - Just read the whole thing. The Passover is what Jesus commanded to be kept; specifically this is when he blessed it as his body and blood which granted eternal life. If the day or time of receiving Jesus's blood and body didn't matter...why did Jesus specify this? He waited until the fourteenth day of the first month to say this is how he is to be commemorated - his appointed time; the Passover.

Some say the Bible only says Passover here because Jesus was a Jew; but actually in Jewish customs at that time, Passover consisted of sacrificing a lamb; why didn't Jesus keep the normal custom?

The New Covenant Passover fulfilled the Old Covenant Passover - but only Jesus blessed it through his blood and body as the sacrificial Lamb for our sins.

Passover goes much deeper than that. But this is the first commandment of the New Covenant; if this isn't being kept by the church at it's appointed time, even though Jesus declared it to be, then how can that church be " blameless" in the eyes of God when it is ignoring his holy Covenant?

~

I want to mention as well, that if we were not held accountable by God, and he just accepted us as is, then why is the Bible not one chapter that says:

" If you believe in God, you will be saved, and forgiven of sins."

END

It does not.

The Bible consist of 66 books full of prophecy, regulation, Covenant Commands - basically rules God established for his people to follow. Why?

Because this is what truly separates God's people from everyone else. Anyone can wear a cross and say they are a Christian - likewise if God just accepted everyone no matter what, then I could repent before I die after a life of sin and he would have to let me go to heaven.

Doesn't work that way. The truth of your soul will truly be exposed when you seek the depth that is God; likewise, not everyone who proclaims to be Christian has a Christian spirit; some are even evil spirits - the Bible calls them wolves in sheeps clothing.

Some people just don't want to be held accountable by God, or don't agree because the Bible regulations seem so strict; but actually, it's not about how comfortable you are following God, as it is you have a heart and mind to really fight against your sinful nature and how much you fear God to seek his true commands and keep them -

The Bible even says those lead by false prophets and their teachings will be destroyed with them, because false prophets proclaim the truth of the world ( which is no truth at all really,) and you cannot be of God and of the world at the same time.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

Matthew 7:21

This is New Testament gospel, and here it is blatantly said that not everyone will enter the kingdom of Heaven, even those calling onto God's name in the last days. The " Christians."

There's more to believing - and even the word believing itself has it's strict regulations.

It's also an under statement to God as the mighty Judge to say that he doesn't judge anyone, and everyone is just accepted. That's illogical, and God is definitely not illogical. Matter of factly, for him to have a divine Justice system, means that you will be put on the spot for everything.

We are sinners through and through, so the only way to really stand before God, is for him to excuse our sin, which is given through the holy Passover - ( Jesus Christ says the forgiveness of sins is only given through his body and blood which is only available during his appointed time of Passover.)

Hopefully with that you can see the contradiction of " God accepts you no matter what."

Actually, God won't accept you in various cases; not because he doesn't love you, but because fault was found in you. There are a lot of God loving Christians, yet they refuse to keep his commands, or even say there aren't any - even when Jesus Christ said, " if you love me, you will keep my commands" ( John 14:15)

Do you really believe there are no regulations God wanted us to keep? Does that really make since that God does not judge according to these regulations? God is God, therefore his justice is good through and through; so one cannot feel upset at this reality.

The good thing is though, is that God always makes a way for his children; finding and following God's correct regulations are not impossible.

The journey may be difficult, for with the truth comes the reality of what is false, and what is false in mainstream Christianity, has been twisted to be seen as true. It took me a little while to fully transition when I found the truth of God, because it is mind - blowing and you will see the world for what it really is - you will see yourself for whom you really are.

Your username is " God - Chaser," and you are already on the right track; the Bible says to seek God, seek the truth of God as much as you possibly can.

You will find God and touch upon a nature that is truly divine and out of this world. You will say without doubt that this is my God, and with God be able to stand against anything. God will reach out his hand and knock down those whom oppose, protect you, and fill you with his Holy Spirit - which is not speaking in tongues! - but actually receiving the wisdom to perceive of God.

I can literally pick up the Bible and read it throughly, with LOGICAL and through understanding. This book that even the top theologist struggle to fully understand.

People actually get upset because I declare I understand the truth of the Bible with such confidence, because I 100% believe the revelation was given to me by God. What's worse is that these doubters are Christians themselves, who hold fast to the idea that no one can know what's going on in the Bible, or don't' fully believe the Bible themselves because of Universal teachings that declare everyone is 100% right in their own belief of God.

Actually no...God established one gospel, one truth, and one way to show you really believe.

I can prove everything I have spoken about this truth, and even though Christians are put on the spot for the falsehood of modern Christianity being exposed, they still hold fast to this falsehood for whatever reason.

Please...

Keep chasing God, but most of all, pray. Ask God to pour out onto you knowledge so you can understand, open your heart if it truly is God you want to find. You cannot get God's answers through the teachings of mankind; because mankind knows not of God unless God decides to reveal it.

Don't be like the Christians whom are aware of the falsehood of the religion they hold dear, yet scrutinize the truth or abandon faith altogether for lack thereof.

The known Christianity is a blatant lie - but it is because the people faltered. God is still very much true and real; and he is calling out for his lost children as your reading this.

But only his sheep hear his voice.

zone

Jun 13, 2010

I can literally pick up the Bible and read it throughly, with LOGICAL and through understanding. This book that even the top theologist struggle to fully understand.

People actually get upset because I declare I understand the truth of the Bible with such confidence, because I 100% believe the revelation was given to me by God.

Re: The Modern Church/Seeker-Sensitive Movement

case in point.
everybody has found the secret the "true church" lost.
everybody is getting special revelation from God.

*yawn*

O

oOfallen_angelOo

case in point.

*yawn*
Yeah but I can prove it - accurately.

Lol what are you even on this site for? Your previous post have been so offish - not even sure what you believe even makes sense.

O

oOfallen_angelOo

case in point.

*yawn*

What's funny is all you can do is pick out those two little paragraphs, yet can't disprove anything else I've said.

Lol, it's the only thing you have any grounds to ridicule :p

I believe our last conversation a while back, it was confirmed that we pre - existed before Earth. You argued with me
but you could not put forth any evidence as to why that statement was unconfirmed, only using what you think and what you believe.

Lol at least I have the Bible to back me up yo. And the Bible is absolutely true via it's prophecy :)

R

RachelBibleStudent

there is a whole range of ideas and practices that tend to be lumped together under the heading of 'seeker sensitive'...

at the extreme you have true watering down of biblical doctrine...but on the more moderate side there are also churches that are just not going out of their way to deliberately offend people with harsh and often doctrinally questionable rhetoric...

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Yeah but I can prove it - accurately.

Lol what are you even on this site for? Your previous post have been so offish - not even sure what you believe even makes sense.
you can prove what?:

"I can literally pick up the Bible and read it throughly, with LOGICAL and through understanding. This book that even the top theologist struggle to fully understand.

People actually get upset because I declare I understand the truth of the Bible with such confidence, because I 100% believe the revelation was given to me by God."

perhaps i don't make sense.
but i'm willing to learn....maybe what you've claimed about yourself is true!
i'll see what else you've posted.
thanks!

zone

Jun 13, 2010
What's funny is all you can do is pick out those two little paragraphs, yet can't disprove anything else I've said.

Lol, it's the only thing you have any grounds to ridicule :p

I believe our last conversation a while back, it was confirmed that we pre - existed before Earth. You argued with me
but you could not put forth any evidence as to why that statement was unconfirmed, only using what you think and what you believe.

Lol at least I have the Bible to back me up yo. And the Bible is absolutely true via it's prophecy :)
oh yaaaaaa......you're the pre-existence person (another one)
shepherd's chapel tv stuff? or some other variety....

that's right....now i recall. i was being kind to you then.
i'll refresh my memory tho.

A

Ariel82

And no, the true Passover is not the old school killing of a Lamb; it is indeed the eating of Jesus's flesh and blood ( bread and wine,) which Jesus Christ himself specified as the Passover feast - not communion or anything of the sort. There is an appointed time for it, and the Passover has incredibly sacred meaning since the Passover God told the people to keep in Egypt, to the same Passover of the New Covenant that grants eternal life.

Matthew Chapter 26 - Just read the whole thing.
Jesus replaced the Passover with COMMUNION: which is when people consume the bread and the wine representing Jesus blood and body.

<please God lets not have the "church of God from North korea" cult show up at this website, too, with its false teaching about how some Korean guy established the "true passover" and is the "holy spirit" and his wife is the heavenly Jeruselam, etc.>

mark 14
[h=3][/h][SUP]22 [/SUP]And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them and said, “Take, eat;[SUP][b][/SUP] this is My body.”
[SUP]23 [/SUP]Then He took the cup, and when He had given thanks He gave it to them, and they all drank from it. [SUP]24 [/SUP]And He said to them, “This is My blood of the new[SUP][c][/SUP] covenant, which is shed for many. [SUP]25 [/SUP]Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

C

carey

I am actually on the brink of not attending any church, which is sad because I love community worship. Me & my husband have been seeking for a home church for over a year, we haven't been able to find one yet because their either prosperity preacher's, completely in Biblical, or they mix truth with lies., it seems the true church has left the scene
:/

C

carey

*un biblical *
Stupid spell check!!

G

God-Chaser

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from! A few years ago, I had taken a sabbatical from the ministry and as such faced the daunting experience of finding a new home church to attend. It was disheartening to say the least. So I can definitely empathize with you. But I would be remiss not to encourage you in your search and ask that you pray that God would lead you to a place where you can worship that meets you spiritual needs and preaches sound doctrine. Those churches ARE out there, though they are getting harder and harder to find! :)

G

God-Chaser

To be honest with you, my beliefs and loyalty fall on the side of "against" in the argument of the Seeker-Sensitive Movement. But my opinion is only one of many. I merely started this thread to get people's opinion on the matter. Thank you for your input.