The pain of seperation

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
P

piper27

I don't know how to write elegant posts, and my emotions are raw right now.
Seperation feels like such a failure -- 16 years of standing on hope, and to finally let
it go.
How long until the grief ends?
Some days I am oblivious; today I am faced with
the raw facts. I had the thread of hope leftover; its done.
Its time to cut the ties
and it hurts so much.

M

MissCris

I don't know you, but I wish I could give you a big hug. And I don't even really believe in hugging. But you need one.

Hey...there's gotta be someone else reading this who is better at like...hugs and...life?

L

ladylynn

It is so hard when we are let down by someone we love and who we counted on to love us. As a divorce survivor, let me encourage you that God will never leave you alone. Lean hard on His promises and keep remembering there is always hope. You are never alone.

S

SeatBelt

Oh, Piper. My heart aches for you, for I know what it is to have a heart ache. I wish I knew you so that I could give you some real meaningful answers that are specific to your situation.
What I can do is give you a really meaningful answer that is specific to Every situation.
In God's timing, every apparent loss can be made victory. It sounds glib to all but those who know me and the trials I have suffered. But it is so very true. As your own sig file says, Piper can trust in the Lord and find new strength.
Cling to God in this time. Surround yourself with only the godly. Be wary of any counsel that is not direct from God. Know that God does have a plan for Even This. There may be days that seem darker than the one before. Just keep picking up the next foot, and asking God to place it on His path for you. Trust Him who leads you..

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Z

zaoman32

It's definitely hard to say goodbye. I just realized the other week I was still broken hearted over my ex-wife and I left her over a year ago. To make matters worse I had to cut ties with someone who stood by me without fail, and was a huge mentor to me. It wasn't easy. All things work together for good for those who love the Lord. You hurt now, but don't stop clinging to Jesus. He can heal you. He will heal you. He promised to never leave or forsake you. Hang on to those promises.

U

Ugly

Like many here, i don't know. I've never been married, nor divorced, obviously.

P

piper27

Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. I can't even spell 'separation' correctly.....sheesh.

Just a raw moment/day; my husband has refused treatment for alcohol...we've been separated for several months.
I held on to a wee bit of hope, but its time to step into my future.

The reality of all of this frightening; the grief today feels raw.
However, I do know who will see me through.
Thank you all for that little nudge forward. ><>

J

Jullianna

piper, I hope it helps in some small way to know that people genuinely care and are praying for you.

L

ladylynn

Dear Piper, Just a few thoughts from an older woman to a young woman (hope u don't mind) :

Time is a good thing to invest in. It's been my experience that rushing is not a good idea. I made lots of mistakes because i wanted to find closure-answers right away. When we are so hurt and emotional, we don't make very good choices. rebounding was - to my shock - a very easy thing to do. I didn't even know i was doing that. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" I read that some where. It was surely true in my case as I look back.

Keep your life as usual and familiar as you can during these times of hurt in your marriage. I wish I had taken the time to stay put and keep life as usual as possible. It takes time to catch your breath when you are hurting emotionally on the brink of maybe losing your mate. I wish someone had told me that when I was in similair circumstances.

There is no rush to end the actual marriage. Divorce is not a new slate. it has much more pain than what I experienced before the divorce. And my children were hurt more than I could have ever known. Everyone's relationships are different so I don't presume to know the answers for you Piper. I just want to encourage you to seek Christian council and hang out with good Christian people who respect God's Word. Don't isolate yourself no matter how much you feel like you have to. one day at a time. In Jesus, lynn

P

piper27

Dear Piper, Just a few thoughts from an older woman to a young woman (hope u don't mind) :

Time is a good thing to invest in. It's been my experience that rushing is not a good idea. I made lots of mistakes because i wanted to find closure-answers right away. When we are so hurt and emotional, we don't make very good choices. rebounding was - to my shock - a very easy thing to do. I didn't even know i was doing that. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" I read that some where. It was surely true in my case as I look back.

Keep your life as usual and familiar as you can during these times of hurt in your marriage. I wish I had taken the time to stay put and keep life as usual as possible. It takes time to catch your breath when you are hurting emotionally on the brink of maybe losing your mate. I wish someone had told me that when I was in similair circumstances.

There is no rush to end the actual marriage. Divorce is not a new slate. it has much more pain than what I experienced before the divorce. And my children were hurt more than I could have ever known. Everyone's relationships are different so I don't presume to know the answers for you Piper. I just want to encourage you to seek Christian council and hang out with good Christian people who respect God's Word. Don't isolate yourself no matter how much you feel like you have to. one day at a time. In Jesus, lynn

Thank you, and I appreciate and value any words from those that have walked the path before me. :)
Time is essential; I have been separated for almost a year, after many years of effort and finally one last try with a family intervention, it still took me another 9 months after that to realize (the intervention was around alcohol abuse) that his choice to continue in his lifestyle is actually a choice. And that what he chose.

When I left, it was with as much honour to him as I thought possible. I wanted each of my steps to cause the least amount of trauma to myself, or my 2 kiddos. My husbands percpetion would no doubt be slightly different. The 3 of us have flourished, have been so happy and all of us maintain a wonderful surface relationship with my husband/their dad. (impossible to get into a meaningful relationship with actively drinking)

Anyway, our son heads off to finish his high school in another province, and my daughter asked if she and I could go with him.
The seed was planted. Recently, I went to visit the town he would go to, and I love it. When I came back, my husband asked me if we could continue the division of assets etc. He is ready to move on with his life. I was so sad at first, the night I wrote this original post was when the call took place. I hadn't realized that i was hanging on to a thread of hope.

Today, I feel empowered. God directs my steps. Its still scary --
I know I need a lot of encouragement to continue the journey, however, I just can't help but feel excited too.
Divorce is not something I feel I need to even think about.....the Lord will let me know if and when.
Thank you, thank you for your encouraging words!!!