The Sin Against The Holy Spirit

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 31, 2013
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin "--(Mark 3:29)

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?--(1 Corinthians 6:19)

Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.--(1 Corinthians 6:18)

So the bible says that the sin against the holy spirit is unforgivable. But what is this sin??

Firstly, spirit means: doctrine or mindset or value-system. So holy spirit is the doctrine of God, because that is the only what to recognize him, not by his person but by his doctrine. To be Holy simply means: separated, reserved, exclusively unto God. So where the bible states that our bodies are the temple of the holy spirit, it follows that we have to behave/express the attitudes of the holy spirit. We are the carriers of the true doctrines(spirit) of God.

So what is the sin against the holy spirit that is unforgivable? This sin is against the body, and it has to be against doctrine, a behaviour that is not tolerable, whatsoever in christian doctrine. It is not a sin of what you eat, nor drink, nor what you wear, nor what tattoos you have. It is a se.xual sin and ultimately, it is homos.exuality. This is the only sin that CANNOT be excused in any manner. It has no gray areas. It has no conditions under which it is permissible. It is expressly against God's design and is the final destination of subjecting oneself to the law. The natural use of the body is for se.xual purposes. Food, drink, clothes, tattoos, jewelries, etc only serve for the of nourishing and decorating the body, but ultimately the use of the body is se.xual, as the book of Romans points out:

and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another....(Romans 1:27)

The purpose of the gospel is to reconcile us to everything that God has created so that there is no longer any conscience of sin when we do what comes to us naturally. Thus the saying that: All things are permissible...(1 Corinthians 6:12, 10:23, Titus 1:15) But homos.exuality is the one behaviour that cannot be found anywhere in design, rather it is a product/symptom of the sin-nature and of us refusing what is natural, leading to our natures/brain-patterns getting rewired and finding deviant paths to express it's se.xuality.

I am not saying the being homose.xual is the unforgivable sin, rather the act of justifying homose.xuality, incorporating and celebrating homse.xuality as christian doctrine is the blasphemy against the holy spirit and is unforgivable. Harmless as it seems(secularly), It is the spirit(doctrine) of the anti-christ and the head of all rebellions.

Last edited:

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
The sin against the Holy Spirit is constantly rejecting His call to repentance. The reason it's unforgivable is because forgiveness is never sought. If one does not seek forgiveness and accept Christ, they can't be forgiven, thus it being unforgivable.

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
I believe this is a good lesson for us:

Acts 5

5 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
6 And the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
7 And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
8 And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
9 Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
10 Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
11 And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.

R

reject-tech

The term blasphemy of the Holy Spirit clearly defines itself with no need for speculation.
It means to speak evil of the Holy Spirit.

If you know what the Holy Spirit is, and never called it evil, you can excuse yourself from worrying about it.
If you don't know what the Holy Spirit is, and called it evil, I guess that falls under God's discernment, but my suspicion is that you could still excuse yourself from worrying about it.

Two clear examples are given in scripture along with the term itself.
The scribes claimed Jesus had ulterior motives, and said that His spirit was unclean.
The pharisees claimed good works can come from an evil origin.
The same thing, illustrated in two examples.

It is impossible for someone with evil intent to perform a compassionate miracle of healing.
It can only be done with the power of the Holy Spirit.
Right after healing a man and clearing up the misunderstanding, they turned right around and asked Him to "give them a sign."
For them, the compassionate miracle of healing meant nothing. They wanted something more along the lines of fire from heaven or a parted river bed. The fact that they had no real concern for the man who had just been healed in favor of potential fireworks, justifed them as an evil and adulterous generation.

"Antichrist", "satan", "beast", "devil" and so on might do signs and wonders that people ooh and aaah over, but being evil in origin, he cannot heal and cannot fake it with any kind of "evil magic"

E

Ecclesiastik

The term blasphemy of the Holy Spirit clearly defines itself with no need for speculation.
It means to speak evil of the Holy Spirit.

If you know what the Holy Spirit is, and never called it evil, you can excuse yourself from worrying about it.
If you don't know what the Holy Spirit is, and called it evil, I guess that falls under God's discernment, but my suspicion is that you could still excuse yourself from worrying about it.

Two clear examples are given in scripture along with the term itself.
The scribes claimed Jesus had ulterior motives, and said that His spirit was unclean.
The pharisees claimed good works can come from an evil origin.
The same thing, illustrated in two examples.

It is impossible for someone with evil intent to perform a compassionate miracle of healing.
It can only be done with the power of the Holy Spirit.
Right after healing a man and clearing up the misunderstanding, they turned right around and asked Him to "give them a sign."
For them, the compassionate miracle of healing meant nothing. They wanted something more along the lines of fire from heaven or a parted river bed. The fact that they had no real concern for the man who had just been healed in favor of potential fireworks, justifed them as an evil and adulterous generation.

"Antichrist", "satan", "beast", "devil" and so on might do signs and wonders that people ooh and aaah over, but being evil in origin, he cannot heal and cannot fake it with any kind of "evil magic"
But in that case wouldn't Paul have been guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Surely he saw the miracles done by the apostles and perhaps even by Christ. How could he have been consenting to kill people if he thought they were doing it by God?

E

Ecclesiastik

The sin against the Holy Spirit is constantly rejecting His call to repentance. The reason it's unforgivable is because forgiveness is never sought. If one does not seek forgiveness and accept Christ, they can't be forgiven, thus it being unforgivable.
But that doesn't really seem to fit the bill of blasphemy...

mystdancer50

Feb 26, 2012
But that doesn't really seem to fit the bill of blasphemy...
Blasphemy is defined as showing lack of reverence of God...what lacks more reverence than denying His Son and refusing His call to repent?

Jul 26, 2013
Why do we make everything so hard? Jesus said that ALL manner of sin will be given among men. That's that word again "all". BUT which denotes the previous statement's comparison, "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".

This is then saying that God CANNOT forgive ANY sin.

Jesus said He came to do the will of His Father, thar being to save ALL men.

Which means we are really saying that Jesus has an unclean spirit. Remember "all" He will gather as a bride who has made herself ready.

E

Ecclesiastik

Blasphemy is defined as showing lack of reverence of God...what lacks more reverence than denying His Son and refusing His call to repent?
That just seems to open a whole can of worms...cause in that case then anything could be classified as blasphemy.

Killing would be blasphemy because it would be taking a life that God Himself gave to this planet. Stealing would be because it would be in direct violation to the commandment of God and would be taking something that God gave to someone else. All of these show supreme irreverence.

R

reject-tech

But in that case wouldn't Paul have been guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? Surely he saw the miracles done by the apostles and perhaps even by Christ. How could he have been consenting to kill people if he thought they were doing it by God?
It took me a minute to get what you are asking, so let me set this up to make sure I understand you -

Pre-apostle Paul is persecuting believers, who he sees doing miracles.
His concept of God does not match their concept of God, and so in order to persecute them, he must determine as the pharisees and scribes did, that these enemy believers have an unclean spirit by which they do the miracles.
Yes, that would be blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, by definition of the term, making Paul guilty, as far as we as men can discern, not knowing the depths of Pauls heart, only having fleshly evidence and spiritual assumptions.

Now, for an answer, do we ever find in any of Paul's writings where he seems to assume that he might be forgiven of such a thing? I think not.
Post-persecuting Paul says that he is the chief of sinners, has a thorn in his flesh, and other things that depict his inability to forgive himself for certain things.
Will Paul live indefinately in paradise, never able to forget that he blasphemed the Holy Spirit? It would appear so to me.

Can you (and it's just an example, I can't know if you have ever blasphemed the Holy Spirit or not) call God evil, and ever forgive yourself?
Even if God Himself should happen to forgive you?
Jesus didn't say by whom it would not be forgiven.

I am limited in my ability to discern every sin and why I might commit it, compared to God's ability to discern it.
But that particular one, to me, is one that I don't think I could ever clear myself of, no matter what God says.

You probably know how it is when you wrong someone, they forgive you, you know they forgive you, and you just can't stop feeling sorry.
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is the apex example of that phenomenon.

And to claim that the forgiveness or lack of it, is entirely on God's part, would be nigh on blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.
To truly err on the side of caution of the matter, would be to appoint God the leave-way of forgiving anything He wants to, and to appoint myself a lesser capacity of forgiveness than God. And I, being a mere man, can forgive someone for calling me evil, whether or not they forgive their self.

We're selling God short based on how men operate, and creating our own fires to burn in, and we have been fairly warned.

2Thewaters

The holy spirit moves upon the face of the bible page you read. He is there, ready to accompany the works you read.
Truth cometh by hearing (listen and obeying)
and hearing (listening and obeying) by the word of God.

If you read a Bible verse, and you are humble (Wow, I was so wrong!)
then you pray, and the holy spirit goes inside and wriotes that verse in your desire and gives you power to do whatever that verse is, be it paying back something you stole, stopping smoking, whatver...

Infinite power...
Infinite creation
Infinite life...

but if you make excuse or think that is for other people, the you grieve the holy spirit and he goes away, and you have no more desire to even read, much less want to do right and you certainly dont have the power to act now...

He will stay away until someone prays for you or you pray to have the holy spirit come back
then he will show you that verse again

what you gonna do?

R

reject-tech

The holy spirit moves upon the face of the bible page you read. He is there, ready to accompany the works you read.
That's why it says "Behold! I send my messenger before thy face!"

Ka-ching!

Josh321

Sep 3, 2013
Just be sure no not call the works of God through someone evil you that's all and some people don't understand what they are seeing and do this very thing