The sluggard (Prov 19.21-24) (Suggested by my sister Pamelasv)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 7, 2017
· [FONT=&quot]“A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Proverbs 19:24)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?[/FONT]

Feb 7, 2015
· [FONT="]“A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.” [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=#006600][FONT="](Proverbs 19:24)[/FONT][FONT="].[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[FONT="] [/FONT]
[FONT="]I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.[/FONT]
[FONT="]Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?[/FONT]

Again.................. Why are you using a book that requires you to translate it into a language you can understand?

notmyown

May 26, 2016
the point may be the KJV translators used the wrong word? :)

The slothful hath hidden his hand in a dish, Even unto his mouth he bringeth it not back. (YLT)

see the KJV translates the same Hebrew word in 2 Kings 21:13 as 'dish'.

And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turning it upside down.

is the Proverbs verse telling us we can become so indolent we don't even do what's needed to survive?
e.g, earn a living?

Dec 19, 2009
· “A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.” (Proverbs 19:24).

I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.
Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?
My Bible (Revised Standard Version) says it differently:

The sluggard buries his hand in the dish,
and will not even bring it back to his mouth.

Nov 14, 2016
· “A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.” (Proverbs 19:24).

I always have to kind of laugh at this imagery.
Now obviously nobody really does that, at least I don't think, so what exactly is the point here. ?
****he's so lazy he won't even feed himself...

Feb 7, 2017
· [FONT=&quot]“There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand. The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar. The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil. A slothful man hideth his hand in his bosom, and will not so much as bring it to his mouth again.” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Proverbs 19:21-24)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Although there are many purposes in the heart of human beings, only that purpose that corresponds to the Eternal’s council will remain. After all, although the man wants your well, What's the use of getting what you want if you have to defraud others?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]“Yea also, because he transgresseth by wine, he is a proud man, neither keepeth at home, who enlargeth his desire as hell, and is as death, and cannot be satisfied, but gathereth unto him all nations, and heapeth unto him all people: shall not all these take up a parable against him, and a taunting proverb against him, and say, Woe to him that increaseth that which is not his! how long? and to him that ladeth himself with thick clay! Shall they not rise up suddenly that shall bite thee, and awake that shall vex thee, and thou shalt be for booties unto them? Because thou hast spoiled many nations, all the remnant of the people shall spoil thee; because of men's blood, and for the violence of the land, of the city, and of all that dwell therein. Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil! Thou hast consulted shame to thy house by cutting off many people, and hast sinned against thy soul. For the stone shall cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the timber shall answer it. Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and stablisheth a city by iniquity! Behold, is it not of the LORD of hosts that the people shall labour in the very fire, and the people shall weary themselves for very vanity?” [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Habakkuk 2.5-13)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Only the fear of the Eternal leads to the life and true blessing which enrich without bringing pains [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Proverbs 10.22)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, the lazy, i.e., that who employs all their resources and energy working in what is vain and even malignant, ends not having not even desire of using the blessings that the Eternal gave him in own advantage.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Although he acquires the necessary blessings to make your life have sense and be worth of be lived, he just misspending everything with addictions [/FONT][FONT=&quot](prostitution, drugs, novels, games, etc.)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

Feb 7, 2017
is the Proverbs verse telling us we can become so indolent we don't even do what's needed to survive? e.g, earn a living?
[FONT=&quot]No one needs to earn a living. It has already been given to us as a gift. Look:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? "[/FONT][FONT=&quot](Matthew 6:25)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is not the food that keeps us alive, but the grace and mercy of the Eternal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT][FONT=&quot]" For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing [/FONT][FONT=&quot]he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; and hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]for in him we live, and move, and have our being[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring."[/FONT][FONT=&quot](Acts 17: 23-28)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we need is to make our needs an excuse to get closer to Jesus and the people He has placed around us:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. "[/FONT][FONT=&quot](Ephesians 4:28)[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notice how the work is not to provide for our own needs, for this Jesus has already promised to do for us [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Matthew 6:33, Philippians 4:19)[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]May Jesus help us to receive His abundant life [/FONT][FONT=&quot](John 10:10)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and to live it, instead of wandering around the world [/FONT][FONT=&quot](Hosea 9.17)[/FONT][FONT=&quot] seeking a reason to live and struggling to win and keep it that has nothing to do with the call of the Eternal for us.[/FONT]