The thread thread

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This thread is to talk about sewing

Do you hand sew or use a machine? If so what kind?
Electric or treadle, or what brand.

Or do you just pay a tailor to do alterations?
Do you make sock monkeys, quilts or rag rugs or do you just give your old clothes away to the op shop? Or do you hoard them.

T

TheIndianGirl

I have sewed some small holes in clothes. Usually these clothes are delicate and tear easily.

For a while, there was tailor nearby who was reasonably priced. I bought pants on sale that fit me well but long otherwise, and I have asked her to hem them.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I have sewed some small holes in clothes. Usually these clothes are delicate and tear easily.

For a while, there was tailor nearby who was reasonably priced. I bought pants on sale that fit me well but long otherwise, and I have asked her to hem them.
I find dresses and skirts much easier to alter/hem than pants haha

With pants you can always turn up the cuffs though. Sometimes thats the look esp cargo pants.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
sometimes I think some manufacturers deliberately make their pants too long so that you need to pay extra for someone else to alter them, thus keeping tailors in business.

with sleeves generally the problem is the opposite, the sleeves can sometimes be too short. I know there was a fashion for three quarter length sleeves, but then it makes your arms look too long lol.

I am not sure what dummies garment manufacuturers go by or if my body is just dispropotionate! I do know that I am a size larger upperbody than my lower half though.

There wont ever be a fashion for one leg long and one leg short though sometimes you get dresses with just one sleeve that are assymmetrical.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Mums sewing machine seized up...its an industrial consew

but the other foot powered one still works fine.

Shes been shortening trousers for like a whole month...either everyone in my family have really short legs or...trousers are being made too long?!

With skirts it doesnt matter they can be any length.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Mums sewing machine seized up...its an industrial consew

but the other foot powered one still works fine.

Shes been shortening trousers for like a whole month...either everyone in my family have really short legs or...trousers are being made too long?!

With skirts it doesnt matter they can be any length.
Trousers are being made too long..........period.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Mum's Singer is foot powered...love the detail on it and the wooden cabinetry. You wont find sewing machines made like them anymore. Modern machines look a bit like white plastic dentist drills.

G

Godsgirl83

sewwwwww,
what's this thread for?

;)