'The Thrill is Gone': B.B. King dead at 89

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
V

Viligant_Warrior

Note to Mods: If you want this in the music forum, please feel free to move it. Thanks.

Blues legend B.B. King dead at 89

Blues legend BB King has died aged 89, his lawyer has confirmed.

Known as the 'King of the Blues', the former farmhand passed away in his sleep in Las Vegas after suffering from ill health in recent months.

Born on a plantation to sharecropper parents, King outlived all his fellow post-World War Two blues greats – Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Lightnin' Hopkins and John Lee Hooker – to see the rough music born in the cotton fields of the segregated South reach a new audience. In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time ranked King at number three, behind only Hendrix and Duane Allman.
Christianity Today goes on to describe King as "a deeply spiritual man ... a practicing Christian and was first inspired to pick up the guitar as a young boy by the pastor at his home church, Rev Archie Fair." The magazine says Fair taught King his first few chords, and King began singing gospel music at Elkhorn Baptist Church.

King played the old blues and jazz clubs in Kansas City -- the real "birthplace of the blues" -- in the 30s and 40s, and continued to return to the old Count Basie Club, the Blue Room, and the Juke House well into the 80s and 90s. He played to a sold-out, spilling-into-the-streets, hanging-from-the-awnings-and-rooftops crowd at the old Cowtown Ballroom -- now the Uptown Theater -- in 1972 that is perhaps the most memorable blues concert in history.

I love blues and jazz, the old stuff, the likes of Basie, King, John Lee and Muddy. That's music! RIP, B.B. King. Got to get ready for your concert in heaven tonight.

Dec 12, 2013
Yeah I seen that today....I play guitar sometimes...used to play a lot and I like the blues as well......I like the ones you listed as well as a few like Albert Collins, Albert King and even Stevie Ray Vaughan........That is awesome that he was a believer......I am sure he isn't singing the blues anymore!

Dec 1, 2014
RIP, B.B. King. Got to get ready for your concert in heaven tonight.
Amen! Though a little piece of us breaks away every time someone we know and love leaves this world, it is truly a celebration of life when that person knows the Lord. Though I never met B.B. King, I've enjoyed his music and going to his restaurant in NYC several times. May God bless him for sharing his gift of music with the world. I look forward to meeting him in the Kingdom.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
A man from an era when singers made light of life's cold realities. Now we're too stuck on what we have or what we should have.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
A man from an era when singers made light of life's cold realities. Now we're too stuck on what we have or what we should have.
I wonder if we can come up with a new genre; 'Selfy' may make a winning class of music.

A

AgeofKnowledge

[video=youtube;AN-neddbZsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-neddbZsk[/video]

The last "king of the blues" finally joined Freddie and Albert. RIP.

V

Viligant_Warrior

"Everybody wants to go to heaven
But nobody wants to die"

But nobody gets out of this life alive, either. Better make a choice. B.B. did. Amen and hallelujah.

Dec 12, 2013
[video=youtube;AN-neddbZsk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-neddbZsk[/video]

The last "king of the blues" finally joined Freddie and Albert. RIP.
I seen Albert live in 1990 in a blues fest on the river front in Little Rock Arkansas.......man that dude could play the blues....it wasn't long after seeing him that Stevie Ray Vaughan got killed......

A

AgeofKnowledge

Albert used to call Stevie his "godson."

I seen Albert live in 1990 in a blues fest on the river front in Little Rock Arkansas.......man that dude could play the blues....it wasn't long after seeing him that Stevie Ray Vaughan got killed......