The Will of God

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jullianna

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have learned that God will show the way by various means to those who clearly and contritely seek Him (as He did repeatedly in scripture: pillars of fire, whispers, other believers, dreams and even donkeys :)), but considers the need for a sign by those who would mock Him to be sinful. I don't always pay attention the first time around..

Mostly I trust Him. He has never failed me. Not once. In good times and in bad. I know that if I cling to Him for dear life, as He is the only source of life, He will direct my path as He promised in His Word.

Feb 10, 2008
Lightning ..... Nichole said that she rarely gets an answer if she asks God something that she DOESN'T NEED to know. As in, a prayer such as "Lord, please show me who really killed John F. Kennedy" is frivolous; she's not a prosecutor, and wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Though I haven't asked her, I strongly suspect that that's what she means. I'm going to assume that if she clicks the "like" button, I'm right about that.

Great thread, Nichole, thanks; I know what you mean, and I think that most of the other people who read this do as well :). -Jill
Jilly, perhaps it's better for me to wait for Nichole to answer before saying this, but asking God to give you something is not the same as asking for God to show you His will in the matter. Maybe you just grabbed a non-representative example, but if that really is what Nichole is saying, then it seems like a different topic entirely than discussing how we know God's will. :/ Maybe it is, in which case that is why I was confused as it seemed to me that she was talking about God answering about what His will is, not just some random thing we decide we want to know.

What I'm wondering is whether or not Nichole's statement that 'God hasn't answered' is because she doesn't feel the Peace, that she considers representative of God's answer,(does that mean you don't feel at peace very often?) or if she does feel the peace often, but is thinking that she needs more than that peace to consider it an answer from God (Is the peace His answer?). Or is Nichole thinking that whenever she is not at peace that God is not answering and that since she is not at peace, that she must be acting counter to God's will (That you're mostly making bad decisions?). Or is it none of this? Is it something else entirely?

I really wasn't trying to twist her words, just trying to understand what her thoughts were in general, not necessarily clarification on what she had posted so far.

Last edited:

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
Lightning ..... Nichole said that she rarely gets an answer if she asks God something that she DOESN'T NEED to know. As in, a prayer such as "Lord, please show me who really killed John F. Kennedy" is frivolous; she's not a prosecutor, and wouldn't be able to do anything about it. Though I haven't asked her, I strongly suspect that that's what she means. I'm going to assume that if she clicks the "like" button, I'm right about that.

Great thread, Nichole, thanks; I know what you mean, and I think that most of the other people who read this do as well :). -Jill
Yay, Jilly likes my thread! :D

That's SORT of what I meant about not asking things I don't NEED to know, although I was thinking more of topics that pertain to me, personally. For instance:

I'm not going to ask God if it's in His will for me to finish my art degree, but I will probably ask Him if He wants me to take any classes next semester. The wondering about classes pertains to an immediate decision to be made; finishing the degree will be a natural byproduct of taking classes, provided that I'm supposed to keep taking them.

I'm sure His plan for my life contains plenty of things that I do not currently need to know about, so I'm not going to ask. "Take no thought for tomorrow, for tomorrow may never come".

niceguyJ

Feb 5, 2011
I was thinking about this thread this morning, so I have more to say now. It has been a really good reminder to me.
I think Nichole is painting a portrait of a very beautiful, simple faith here. It's a faith that's okay with not knowing every little detail of life and everything that is going to happen five years, five months, five weeks, or even five days from now. Rather it's about trusting that God knows best and He is present now. He will reveal to us at least as much as we need to know at any given time.
If you want to view it in terms of steps: He will at least get us to the next step, but that doesn't mean He's going to tell us what the step two up from that one is.
This is the kind of faith that I struggle with sometimes but try to really hold to.

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
^^^Yeah, that's what I was saying, except you phrased it more betterer. Leave it to a musician......:rolleyes:. :p. :D.

To be honest, I struggle with holding to that kind of faith sometimes, too....I think most of us do, it's quite human. When I said that I was incredibly good at feeling anxious about darn near anything, I wasn't saying that I seldom feel God's peace......I was just referring to to my inner nature to over-think things and basket-case about decisions to be made. I tend to second-guess my self a lot....... I certainly don't know what the future holds, so it's easy for me to feel anxious/uneasy when I don't know the right way to go.

However, it always helps to remember that The One Who loves us most DOES know what the future holds for each and every one of us....and what's even more mind-boggling is that He actually cares. He has numbered the very hairs on our heads...I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe that He also cares whether or not we marry Suzy, take the job in Cleveland, or go into the missions field. ;)

God wants to guide our lives. He has an amazing journey planned for any of His kids that are willing to drop their own wants and just ask The Holy Spirit to fill them and guide them. Yeah, it can be rocky at times.....I'm not saying that life inside of God's will is always going to be easy. But I do know that His peace and grace will accompany you wherever He wants you to go.

**Edit** I am NOT going to marry Suzy, just wanted to clear that up. :p

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2008
^^^Yeah, that's what I was saying, except you phrased it more betterer. Leave it to a musician......:rolleyes:. :p. :D.

To be honest, I struggle with holding to that kind of faith sometimes, too....I think most of us do, it's quite human. When I said that I was incredibly good at feeling anxious about darn near anything, I wasn't saying that I seldom feel God's peace......I was just referring to to my inner nature to over-think things and basket-case about decisions to be made. I tend to second-guess my self a lot....... I certainly don't know what the future holds, so it's easy for me to feel anxious/uneasy when I don't know the right way to go.

However, it always helps to remember that The One Who loves us most DOES know what the future holds for each and every one of us....and what's even more mind-boggling is that He actually cares. He has numbered the very hairs on our heads...I don't think it's too much of a stretch to believe that He also cares whether or not we marry Suzy, take the job in Cleveland, or go into the missions field. ;)

God wants to guide our lives. He has an amazing journey planned for any of His kids that are willing to drop their own wants and just ask The Holy Spirit to fill them and guide them. Yeah, it can be rocky at times.....I'm not saying that life inside of God's will is always going to be easy. But I do know that His peace and grace will accompany you wherever He wants you to go.

**Edit** I am NOT going to marry Suzy, just wanted to clear that up. :p
Nichole, I see some answers to my questions in there, but am not sure that it really answered the root of my questions. If you are afraid that I'm trying to attack/trap you, or just simply think this isn't the right place to dig into things please let me know and I"ll drop it.

Otherwise, I'm still wondering about this peace that you're talking about. Is it something that you feel always? Do you consider it significant when you don't feel that peace? Is it something that comes when you specifically focus your thoughts on God?

Edit: Could you introduce me to Suzy? If you're not going to marry her...

Snackersmom

May 10, 2011
^^^I want to address those questions, but this thread probably isn't the place.........it has become a bit detached from the tracks, so to speak. I'm going to start a new one on the topic soon, because I want others to have a chance to explain their experiences as well. Not tonight, probably some time next week.