Thinking the other day. Anybody else respond this way?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

Jordache

I have alwaysbeen a compassionate person since I was a child. As a teen I had a man prophesy over me a gift of intercession. Then I thought it was just cool, but I didn't see it practically. Now I wonder...
When I see people hurt I physically feel pain. If traffic slows down I physically feel pain since living in LA that usually means a wreck. When I see someone cry, get hurt, hurt themselves, or give up, I feel physical pain. It has gotten worse over the years. It dawned on me that this may actually just be a symptom pertaining to my calling to intercede.

am I the only one who feels physical pain when others are hurt?

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
No. I do it, too. I even throw up sometimes. It causes me to pray for them, but then I always wonder if I'm praying for them, or for me... meaning, because I hurt with them, I wonder if I'm praying to ease my own pain. I don't know the answer to that.

B

BishopSEH

Not physical pain for me but emotional turmoil. Spending as much time as I in this particular forum is helping me become adapted to dealing with it. Building up a tolerance I guess you could say. Thus far that tolerance is not effecting my ability to empathize or my desire to help when and were I can.

sandtigeress

Apr 29, 2013
Emotional yes and sometimes even physical pain, yes, but not so often.
One of the reasons I could not work in a hospital.

R

richie_2uk

I have alwaysbeen a compassionate person since I was a child. As a teen I had a man prophesy over me a gift of intercession. Then I thought it was just cool, but I didn't see it practically. Now I wonder...
When I see people hurt I physically feel pain. If traffic slows down I physically feel pain since living in LA that usually means a wreck. When I see someone cry, get hurt, hurt themselves, or give up, I feel physical pain. It has gotten worse over the years. It dawned on me that this may actually just be a symptom pertaining to my calling to intercede.

Is'nt that called burden sharing? I'm sure I had that few times in the past, were I shared someone elses burden pain, or illness. Noy had this in a while., But sounds like you're talking about burden sharing. I think God allows us sometimes to share burdens, so that the person don't feel the full effect. I believe that can happen, and already has to me, and sounds like to you too Jordache. God bless.

J

J-Kay

Is'nt that called burden sharing? I'm sure I had that few times in the past, were I shared someone elses burden pain, or illness. Noy had this in a while., But sounds like you're talking about burden sharing. I think God allows us sometimes to share burdens, so that the person don't feel the full effect. I believe that can happen, and already has to me, and sounds like to you too Jordache. God bless.
I agree Richie. Here in U.S. we usually call it sharing one anothers burden.
Or the Holy Spirit is allowing us to feel His burden for a particular situation.

J

J-Kay

Jordache, I have had experiences when praying for someone the urgency in my spirit
to pray mightily. It is the Holy Spirit prompting me and I can think of two examples right now.

One was when my male cousin was in N.Y. and I was busy in kitchen doing something
the Holy Spirit urgent inside me, said pray for "M".... I had to go to a room away from
everyone, and I prayed for at least half an hour for him. It was the most strong feeling
I had ever known. It was as if his life depended upon that prayer. I will say now he was a
young man and and living the 'homosexual' lifestyle. I have no idea what "M" was being
protected from, but I do know it was God at work in his life.

Just about a few months before I lost my 22 yr old Grandson, I was in prayer for all
my grandchildren and I got to him... and all the Spirit prayed through me was ...
Jesus, Alex, .... Jesus, Alex.... Jesus, Alex... That was all I could pray. I don't know
what was going on that night in his life, but the Holy Spirit did . I will say, of course
he did die few months later. So we know we can indeed feel what the Holy Spirit
feels. God bless you and in your wonderful spiritual walk with our Lord.

clee356

Apr 5, 2011
For me, I get this tightness in my chest and my heart just starts aching, as if someone's squeezing it super hard. A couple times I seriously thought I was having a heart attack, yikes. But yeah, you're not alone. I think people who are affected this way, are extremely sensitive to others' pain and we feel it as if it's happening to us.