Thomas Jefferson’s Bible and The life morals of Jesus of Nazareth

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Such a shame. This guy for having such wisdom in the building of a new nation was staring truth and salvation in the face. Was reading truth, came so close but still missed it by a mile. My understanding is he loved the moral teachings but rejected the diety of Jesus.

https://www.history.com/news/thomas-jefferson-bible-religious-beliefs
That's true. America was founded on "Godly principles" like those which Jefferson followed; but not as a Christian nation. A lot of things are based on "Godly principles," but they can't save anyone's soul: like Freemasonry for example.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Jefferson was considered a Deist, subscribing to the liberal religious strand
of Deism that values reason over revelation and rejects traditional Christian
doctrines, including the virgin birth, origin of sin and the resurrection of Jesus.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
Jefferson was considered a Deist, subscribing to the liberal religious strand
of Deism that values reason over revelation and rejects traditional Christian
doctrines, including the virgin birth, origin of sin and the resurrection of Jesus.
several of the founding fathers were deists....

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
My understanding is he loved the moral teachings but rejected the deity of Jesus.
The deity of Christ is a stumbling block for probably millions -- unbelieving Jews, Muslims, the cults, and the pagans.

Unfortunately, men like Jefferson and many others of the Founding Fathers were either Deists or Freemasons. But they still respected the Bible and its moral and ethical teachings (unlike the criminals in office today). However, it seems that George Washington at least was a Christian. His Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1789 is a classic.

"Deism is the belief that God has created the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws. Deism thus rejects the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in revelation in the Bible, and stresses the importance of ethical conduct. In the eighteenth century, numerous important thinkers held deist beliefs..." Theopedia

F

FollowingtheWay

The deity of Christ is a stumbling block for probably millions -- unbelieving Jews, Muslims, the cults, and the pagans.

Unfortunately, men like Jefferson and many others of the Founding Fathers were either Deists or Freemasons. But they still respected the Bible and its moral and ethical teachings (unlike the criminals in office today). However, it seems that George Washington at least was a Christian. His Thanksgiving Proclamation of 1789 is a classic.

"Deism is the belief that God has created the universe but remains apart from it and permits his creation to administer itself through natural laws. Deism thus rejects the supernatural aspects of religion, such as belief in revelation in the Bible, and stresses the importance of ethical conduct. In the eighteenth century, numerous important thinkers held deist beliefs..." Theopedia

George Washington is a very interesting one. Do you feel there is any merit to the claims of Divine protection that the native tribes claimed was on him? Our GOD possibly preserving George Washington for the future events of being Americas first president? This link is of course not the best source but one of the first on a google search related to the claim.
https://www.harlanenterprise.net/2020/02/18/indian-legend-of-george-washingtons-divine-protection/

Excerpted from article-

Both Indians and Americans considered this warfare style suicidal but Washington, who had warned the general of this, had to obey orders. On July 9, 1755, the Battle of Monongahela began when Braddock passed through a ravine and an army half his size, hiding behind boulders and trees, annihilated him. Officers were mounted targets. Washington rode back and forth on the line through a hail storm of musket balls delivering Braddock’s orders as he was the only officer still on horseback. He could not take command until the wounded Braddock was carried from the field. Unfortunately the three-hour ambush left 976 casualties before Washington could save what was left. A British soldier recorded, “I expected every moment to see him fall. Nothing but the superintending care of Providence could have saved him” (David Barton The Bulletproof George Washington, WallBuilders Press, 2003).

F

FollowingtheWay

George Washington is a very interesting one. Do you feel there is any merit to the claims of Divine protection that the native tribes claimed was on him? Our GOD possibly preserving George Washington for the future events of being Americas first president? This link is of course not the best source but one of the first on a google search related to the claim.
https://www.harlanenterprise.net/2020/02/18/indian-legend-of-george-washingtons-divine-protection/

Excerpted from article-

Both Indians and Americans considered this warfare style suicidal but Washington, who had warned the general of this, had to obey orders. On July 9, 1755, the Battle of Monongahela began when Braddock passed through a ravine and an army half his size, hiding behind boulders and trees, annihilated him. Officers were mounted targets. Washington rode back and forth on the line through a hail storm of musket balls delivering Braddock’s orders as he was the only officer still on horseback. He could not take command until the wounded Braddock was carried from the field. Unfortunately the three-hour ambush left 976 casualties before Washington could save what was left. A British soldier recorded, “I expected every moment to see him fall. Nothing but the superintending care of Providence could have saved him” (David Barton The Bulletproof George Washington, WallBuilders Press, 2003).

Further excerpts -

When safely at Fort Cumberland, Washington wrote his younger brother John Augustine Washington, July 18, 1755, “By the All-Powerful Dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, although death was leveling my companions on every side of me!” Washington wrote the same to his mother Mary Ball Washington.

“I am a chief and ruler over my tribes. My influence extends to the waters of the great lakes and to the far blue mountains. I have traveled a long and weary path that I might see the young warrior of the great battle. It was on the day when the white man’s blood mixed with the streams of our forests that I first beheld this Chief. I called to my young men and said, mark yon tall and daring warrior? He is not of the red-coat tribe – he hath an Indian’s wisdom, and his warriors fight as we do – himself alone exposed. Quick, let your aim be certain, and he dies. Our rifles were leveled, rifles which, but for you, knew not how to miss – `twas all in vain, a power mightier far than we, shielded you.” One warrior declared: “I had seventeen fair fires at him with my rifle and after all could not bring him to the ground! Seeing you were under the special guardianship of the Great Spirit, we immediately ceased to fire at you.”

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
A British soldier recorded, “I expected every moment to see him fall. Nothing but the superintending care of Providence could have saved him” (David Barton The Bulletproof George Washington, WallBuilders Press, 2003).
It sure looks like God's hand was over George Washington, who acknowledged divine Providence.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Who is "Providence?" Is that a God?

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
I'm pretty sure Providence is JHVH-JIREH. Non-chaplain military officers leading a group of mixed-faith troops aren't going to specifically mention Jesus' name; because their job isn't to preach the Gospel, it's to lead troops.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
I'm pretty sure Providence is JHVH-JIREH. Non-chaplain military officers leading a group of mixed-faith troops aren't going to specifically mention Jesus' name; because their job isn't to preach the Gospel, it's to lead troops.
It could be; or it could be the Masonic Grand Architect of the Universe symbolized by the all-seeing eye of providence.

notmyown

May 26, 2016
Such a shame. This guy for having such wisdom in the building of a new nation was staring truth and salvation in the face. Was reading truth, came so close but still missed it by a mile. My understanding is he loved the moral teachings but rejected the diety of Jesus.

https://www.history.com/news/thomas-jefferson-bible-religious-beliefs
Jefferson rejected any Biblical claims to the supernatural, any kind of miracle.
in a sense, he was just another victim of the "Endarkenment". i don't call it Enlightenment because it wasn't.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022
The founding fathers were Masonic Free Masons.

What are the objections against freemasons? I think they provided a lot of symbolism that exists in American landmarks today and Washington himself was raised by a mother who only read the Bible.

Sure, they weren't Biblical but at least they were more familiar with the Bible than the politicians today and a lot of the language they used back then, was taken from the Bible. Words such as "Providence" for example.