three strikes.....your out

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

mms

My first marriage, I got married eighteen and pregant. He cheated on me to the point that he had a child with another women while I was caring our second child plus he had a bad drug problem. That marriage lasted five years.

My second husband I married for all the wrong reasons.....Security. I thought that I would adventually fall in love with him because he was a good person but after our daughter was born, he changed. He begin to be, what I felt was, mentally abusive towards me and two sons from the previous marriage. I walked away from that marriage after eight years.

Three weeks after leaving husband number two, I met husband number three. We have been together for almost twenty years now. We have had alot of ups and downs. He brought two children to the marriage plus with my three. His ex wife moved out of state with his two kids shortly after we were married. The oldest was returned to us at fifteen with a drug, alcohol and sexual problems. The second, also was returned to us at the same age with the same problems a few years later. She filled their heads with so much hate, telling them that their father was this horrible person and that he didn't love them. They are both so messed up and now she won't have anything to do with them. My husband carries guilt for not being a perfect father and lets his kids walk all over him and in turn, me also.

The oldest, Mary, is a very mean and hateful person. She had wanted to go to a party shortly after coming to live with us. We told her no, so she called the cops on us and told them that he was beating her. He came very close to being arrested. This is just one example of what kind of person she is. I could tell many, many stories but I'm not writing a book.
She ended up getting pregant but never married the father of that baby. I spent many nights and days taking care of this child while she was out strip dancing and partying and anything but being a good mother. We tried to take the child away from her but she fled the state with it.

She returns a few years later, both beaten and bruised. My husband lets her stay for awhile but she quickly mets this guy that she ends up marrying. They have two kids together and move back to his home state. He is just as bad a person as she is and the life of those three little children is hell. That state tries to take the kids away from her also, so agian, she fleas. She returns a few months later for the holidays to see his family and she gets shot. Long story short, she had gotten involved in so many bad things and pissed the wrong person off and they shot her. Right in the head. Left her diabled. She should have died. Her husband left her. The state finally took the oldest child and returned her to her father, who is a great dad and good person. The husband gets to two children from their marriage. She now has no one and no where to go.

My husband begged me to let her come stay with us until she can get though her treatments and get on with her life. Surely she has changed her ways.......... I agree but temperarily. That was two years ago. She keeps my house in a total uproar all the time. She loves creating drama. She still is using drugs, there just Rx's now. She refuses to do anything that will improve her life and we are completely supporting her. She gets a few hundred dallors a month from ssi but it is not nearly enough to live on. She has built a wedge between my husband to the point that I am ready to throw in the towel and call it quits. He now doesn't want her to EVER leave us and wants me to just take care of her for the rest of her life. WE also have his cousin living with us and his mother. I take care of them all and work full time.

I know that marrige is suppose to be threw the good times and the bad, in sickness and health........but when do you have to say I have had enough. He had an affair a year ago and I still am having issues with trust/telling the truth with him. WE still have not gotten past that issue. I am a christain but he is not and is not willing to even consider the christain faith. I think the only reason he is still here is because he's afraid of losing his house and toys.

When do you throw the towel in???

B

BishopSEH

In accordance with our faith you can right now. Infidelity is one of three reasons you can divorce without sin. The question is, do you really want to? Most of your problems seem to center around the chaos in your home.

Some may think me cruel but I think its time Mary either is put in a functionally disabled group home or she find a place of her own. As long as someone is giving her an out on growing up, she won't. As long as people, family or not, keep taking what she dishes out, she will keep serving that same thing over and over. The other option for her is buying or building a rental cottage if you have your own land and the room.

I don't think anyone here will condone your husbands infidelity but Jesus only teaches that you can divorce for this reason not that you must. From your testimony your having trust issues not love issues. In fact that you have taken in so much and put up with so much shows clearly that your love tank is far from empty. Trust can be restored it just takes time.

So other than Mary, how many are living at home that are old enough to move out? If there is any then get them pointed towards the front door. If you lessen the number of distractions then it becomes easier to focus on the important things, like getting that trust rebuilt.

The simple fact is, no one can tell you what to do. Whether to stay or go. You know what the Scriptures allow but what do you hear God saying? What does your heart tell you? How would you want your husband to do if your roles were reversed? Just something to consider.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Bishop SEH said it well. Grownup people need to live like grownup people, not off of other responsible people. Hope you and your husband can reach an understanding about the daughter (and everyone else).

Praying for you.... Strength and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

M

mms

Bishop SEH said it well. Grownup people need to live like grownup people, not off of other responsible people. Hope you and your husband can reach an understanding about the daughter (and everyone else).

Praying for you.... Strength and guidance from the Holy Spirit.

Thank you all for your feedback. I share all the same feelings as you but do not get any support from husband. Without his support I feel like I am fighting them against me. You are correct that I do still love him and do not want to end my relationship with him but without his support, things will never change and I am not willing or able to live this life anymore. It is wrong in so many ways. We are inabling her to stay a drug addict and even more disabled and depend on us. Robbing her of being a happy, productive person. When I try to help find other living arrangements, I am attacted by both of them on how mean I am to her. Other than walking away from this relationship, what can I do???

B

BishopSEH

Its going to sound silly but i am dead serious. Take a vacation. Not as a family but just you. You seem to desperately need to restore your balance. Take the time to pray and rest. Let your husband deal with all that you normally do including her attitude. Right now you are the breaks of a family spinning out of control. You need to rest before you burn out completely.

I noted that you have a full time job. It perfectly ok to take your vacation from the chaos of home and still work. You don't need to use 2 weeks worth of vacation days (if you even have them). The important thing is that you remove yourself from a toxic situation long enough so that when you go back you are re-energized.

Just a tip for dealing with Mary when she gets abusive to you. Do not engage her but rather pray aloud for her right then and there and keep praying till she stops. I have found that its very hard to fight with someone that won't engage and even harder when all they do intercede for me with the Lord. Also as long as she lives under your roof, control her meds. Prescriptions have usage instructions by you controlling them you also control her ability to feed her addiction. Also toss her room thoroughly from time to time and unexpectedly. When you find meds that aren't in her name or stashed put them in a ziploc bag and confront her about them. If she can prove they are part of her prescriptions add them to those you control. If she can't, unseal the bag and fill it with hot water until they are dissolved completely. Don't dump it into the sink or toilet instead pour the bag into the dirt.

I pray this helps you.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

M

mms

Its going to sound silly but i am dead serious. Take a vacation. Not as a family but just you. You seem to desperately need to restore your balance. Take the time to pray and rest. Let your husband deal with all that you normally do including her attitude. Right now you are the breaks of a family spinning out of control. You need to rest before you burn out completely.

I noted that you have a full time job. It perfectly ok to take your vacation from the chaos of home and still work. You don't need to use 2 weeks worth of vacation days (if you even have them). The important thing is that you remove yourself from a toxic situation long enough so that when you go back you are re-energized.

Just a tip for dealing with Mary when she gets abusive to you. Do not engage her but rather pray aloud for her right then and there and keep praying till she stops. I have found that its very hard to fight with someone that won't engage and even harder when all they do intercede for me with the Lord. Also as long as she lives under your roof, control her meds. Prescriptions have usage instructions by you controlling them you also control her ability to feed her addiction. Also toss her room thoroughly from time to time and unexpectedly. When you find meds that aren't in her name or stashed put them in a ziploc bag and confront her about them. If she can prove they are part of her prescriptions add them to those you control. If she can't, unseal the bag and fill it with hot water until they are dissolved completely. Don't dump it into the sink or toilet instead pour the bag into the dirt.

I pray this helps you.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
It's amazing how God speaks to you.......I had been thinking about the "vacation" thing and feeling like that was the direction God was sending me in and now I feel you are confirming that for me. Even though my husband has told Mary that she has to find other living arangements, he is not inforcing that and she surely is not looking. She put one application in at a facility for brain injury people when he first told her she needed to move but that was months ago and there hasn't been any other activity towards that since. When I bring up the topic, they both say "Oh this will happen. Hopefully it won't be too much longer". (She is on a waiting list and who knows how long that waiting list is.)

My husband and I do have these "Run Away" weekends because he tells me that he can't stand to be around her and needs to get away from her. But when he IS around her, he calls her sweetheart, darling, sugar and never inforces things that he has told her she needs to accomplish or give consequences for bad behavior. Frustrates me! I don't know how he truely feels because he says one thing to me and completely acts another way around her.

I have started not engaging with her when she starts mouthing off to me. I just walk away. She seems to be getting worse as far as her thinking that she is in control of my house and wanting to push that even more. I have been working out at night (walking, swimming and bike riding) to get out of the house at night so I don't have to be around her much. That has helped with my health (which is good) but again, she now thinks the house is hers to control (she thinks she is winning the fight). I also have stopped helping my husband with things for Mary like helping her get dressed, showered, etc. He is getting rather frustrated at times with her but still is letting her be in control. So, the last resort is to leave the house completely and go on "vacation" as you call it.

B

BishopSEH

It's amazing how God speaks to you.......I had been thinking about the "vacation" thing and feeling like that was the direction God was sending me in and now I feel you are confirming that for me. Even though my husband has told Mary that she has to find other living arangements, he is not inforcing that and she surely is not looking. She put one application in at a facility for brain injury people when he first told her she needed to move but that was months ago and there hasn't been any other activity towards that since. When I bring up the topic, they both say "Oh this will happen. Hopefully it won't be too much longer". (She is on a waiting list and who knows how long that waiting list is.)

My husband and I do have these "Run Away" weekends because he tells me that he can't stand to be around her and needs to get away from her. But when he IS around her, he calls her sweetheart, darling, sugar and never inforces things that he has told her she needs to accomplish or give consequences for bad behavior. Frustrates me! I don't know how he truely feels because he says one thing to me and completely acts another way around her.

I have started not engaging with her when she starts mouthing off to me. I just walk away. She seems to be getting worse as far as her thinking that she is in control of my house and wanting to push that even more. I have been working out at night (walking, swimming and bike riding) to get out of the house at night so I don't have to be around her much. That has helped with my health (which is good) but again, she now thinks the house is hers to control (she thinks she is winning the fight). I also have stopped helping my husband with things for Mary like helping her get dressed, showered, etc. He is getting rather frustrated at times with her but still is letting her be in control. So, the last resort is to leave the house completely and go on "vacation" as you call it.
When I say vacation I mean just that. Its a temporary but complete absence of you from the home. While your gone i have some homework for you. Your going to need some white construction paper, a marker and laminating material. You can get these at your local craft store. The reason you need to laminate it is because she will attempt to destroy it.

So what you need to do is come up with a list of house rules. These are to be enforced on ALL that live there not just Mary. So makes sure your rules are unilateral. You will also need to make a chore list for the home, protected in the same fashion. You are the wife and mother not the slave and whipping post. Make sure whatever you assign to Mary is possible for her to do. It doesn't have to be easy for her just possible.

Ok so you now have the house rules and a chore list. From what I read Mary is the only adult other than you and your husband. Biblical guidelines fully apply to her. In this case I refer to two verses of Scripture: Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”

If she is living in your house, and even if she was not this command is in force for the whole life of a person. She is clearly not giving you or your husband the honor the Lord declared you are to receive. As long as she lives without consequence not only is she violating this command but so are you and your husband by continuing to allow her to behavior unchecked.

The second is: 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.

If Mary will not contribute in a respectful manner to the home then she shall not receive the benefits of the home. Remove her access to food storage, food prep surfaces and cooking surfaces. Also she is to be denied access to any food purchased by you and your husband. Obviously, you can't deny her to food she purchased herself but you can deny her access to any prep and cooking surfaces.

Now I will tell you she will pitch a fit. Stick to your guns (as the expression goes). There will be one of two outcomes. 1. She will conform. 2. She will leave. The reason I listed only two options is because that is all you are to give to her. Conform or leave, those are her choices.

We call this tough love and from what you have shared this is exactly what she needs.

Ok one other homework assignment. Unfortunately, your husband is not being the leader he should be. A home must have a leader and if he won't be it then it falls to you until he "man's up". With that in mind you desperately need to begin family devotions. I would first focus on your husband and other males in your house. I would begin with the requirements for Pastors in Deacons found in 1 Timothy. These are not just the requirements to be a leader int he church but for a man to be a man in the eyes of the Lord.

Read it, break it down into at least 5 devotions augmenting them with verses from Proverbs. Follow this up with the requirements for a husband.

Next Proverbs 31. The entire chapter. You can not expect Mary to know how to be a woman if she doesn't know what the requirements are in the first place. There is a catch to this though. You have to model it for her. I don't think that will be a problem for you as you are already doing much of it. Now you just need to do it with it in mind as you do it. Be assertive in your actions.

All this has to be done when you get back from your vacation and not before. Simply let the family know when you get back that there will be some serious changes in the home and those not willing to live by them are welcome to seek life elsewhere.

Harsh but if you do not regain control of YOUR home you may very well find that your fears will come true and it will not be your home any longer. As always please keep us updated and know all of us are praying for you.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

M

mms

When I say vacation I mean just that. Its a temporary but complete absence of you from the home. While your gone i have some homework for you. Your going to need some white construction paper, a marker and laminating material. You can get these at your local craft store. The reason you need to laminate it is because she will attempt to destroy it.

So what you need to do is come up with a list of house rules. These are to be enforced on ALL that live there not just Mary. So makes sure your rules are unilateral. You will also need to make a chore list for the home, protected in the same fashion. You are the wife and mother not the slave and whipping post. Make sure whatever you assign to Mary is possible for her to do. It doesn't have to be easy for her just possible.

Ok so you now have the house rules and a chore list. From what I read Mary is the only adult other than you and your husband. Biblical guidelines fully apply to her. In this case I refer to two verses of Scripture: Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.2 “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—3 “so that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”

If she is living in your house, and even if she was not this command is in force for the whole life of a person. She is clearly not giving you or your husband the honor the Lord declared you are to receive. As long as she lives without consequence not only is she violating this command but so are you and your husband by continuing to allow her to behavior unchecked.

The second is: 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”11 We hear that some among you are idle and disruptive. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the food they eat.

If Mary will not contribute in a respectful manner to the home then she shall not receive the benefits of the home. Remove her access to food storage, food prep surfaces and cooking surfaces. Also she is to be denied access to any food purchased by you and your husband. Obviously, you can't deny her to food she purchased herself but you can deny her access to any prep and cooking surfaces.

Now I will tell you she will pitch a fit. Stick to your guns (as the expression goes). There will be one of two outcomes. 1. She will conform. 2. She will leave. The reason I listed only two options is because that is all you are to give to her. Conform or leave, those are her choices.

We call this tough love and from what you have shared this is exactly what she needs.

Ok one other homework assignment. Unfortunately, your husband is not being the leader he should be. A home must have a leader and if he won't be it then it falls to you until he "man's up". With that in mind you desperately need to begin family devotions. I would first focus on your husband and other males in your house. I would begin with the requirements for Pastors in Deacons found in 1 Timothy. These are not just the requirements to be a leader int he church but for a man to be a man in the eyes of the Lord.

Read it, break it down into at least 5 devotions augmenting them with verses from Proverbs. Follow this up with the requirements for a husband.

Next Proverbs 31. The entire chapter. You can not expect Mary to know how to be a woman if she doesn't know what the requirements are in the first place. There is a catch to this though. You have to model it for her. I don't think that will be a problem for you as you are already doing much of it. Now you just need to do it with it in mind as you do it. Be assertive in your actions.

All this has to be done when you get back from your vacation and not before. Simply let the family know when you get back that there will be some serious changes in the home and those not willing to live by them are welcome to seek life elsewhere.

Harsh but if you do not regain control of YOUR home you may very well find that your fears will come true and it will not be your home any longer. As always please keep us updated and know all of us are praying for you.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Praise God!!! Last night we received very good news. The apartment that Mary has applied to, she got a call yesterday that she has been approved and will be moving into on July 1st. What an answer to prayer this is to me.

On the other hand, it raises some other questions. She is still gonna want to control my husband and want to keep that turmoil going in our lives.

B

BishopSEH

I am overjoyed to hear this news. God has clearly hear your prayer and those interceding on your behalf. Take the time to praise the Lord for His goodness.

As to your concerns. Do not barrow trouble, it will find you all on its own. She may try to cause issues after she leaves but her impact will be limited. I suggest you go all out. Get her a house warming gift and maybe a few large meals that can be frozen and heated as needed.

Also make her move a family project. Get everyone involved. Get as much of her new place set up as possible but leave plenty of little stuff for her to do herself. This will keep her occupied for some time. I would go as far as to bring her dinner as a family on the Forth of July. Bring movies and chips and popcorn and really make her new place feel like home.

The more attached to it she becomes the more likely she will stay put. What ever you do, do not try to limit your husbands access to her. In fact encourage him to go see her otherwise he might bring her over and that would allow drama to re enter your home. As much as possible keep the families interaction with her at her place of residence and not yours.

Last but by no means least. Get her a bible for her home and have everyone write and encouraging verse and sign it. It will show that both the family and God loves her.

Again please keep us up to date and our prayers will continue for you and yours.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

M

mms

I am overjoyed to hear this news. God has clearly hear your prayer and those interceding on your behalf. Take the time to praise the Lord for His goodness.

As to your concerns. Do not barrow trouble, it will find you all on its own. She may try to cause issues after she leaves but her impact will be limited. I suggest you go all out. Get her a house warming gift and maybe a few large meals that can be frozen and heated as needed.

Also make her move a family project. Get everyone involved. Get as much of her new place set up as possible but leave plenty of little stuff for her to do herself. This will keep her occupied for some time. I would go as far as to bring her dinner as a family on the Forth of July. Bring movies and chips and popcorn and really make her new place feel like home.

The more attached to it she becomes the more likely she will stay put. What ever you do, do not try to limit your husbands access to her. In fact encourage him to go see her otherwise he might bring her over and that would allow drama to re enter your home. As much as possible keep the families interaction with her at her place of residence and not yours.

Last but by no means least. Get her a bible for her home and have everyone write and encouraging verse and sign it. It will show that both the family and God loves her.

Again please keep us up to date and our prayers will continue for you and yours.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. My mother has been ill and it looks as though she may be joining our Heavenly Father soon. I am really dealing with alot of things right now. Thank you very much for all your words of encouragement. You have been a great help to me. I will keep you updated on things.

B

BishopSEH

You have nothing to be sorry about. With all that is going on in your life the fact that you make the time to come and keep us up to date is a privilege for us. I will keep your mother in prayer as i am sure many here are as well. I know you don;t want to lose your mom but as you go through this keep something in mind. Grieving turns into cherished memories. In death her life becomes an unchanging example. But most importantly, when she stands before the Lord in glory, even if she could come back she wouldn't because in the presence of Christ her joy will be complete. She will join the crowd of witnesses watching over you and your family. If she is anything like you, I know she will be keeping a close eye on Mary.

Those that go before us don;t really leave us when they belong to the Lord. Instead they go before us to await your arrival. My hope is that that day is a long time coming. That with the easing of the stresses coming up so to will the return of your vigor and zeal for life. Speaking solely for myself, I have gotten to know you some through our discussions and i would love to continue getting to know you as your life improves. I hope that you will stay with us here at cc and uplift us all with your unbreakable spirit.

In Christ,

Bishop SEH

Lucy68

Jan 21, 2011
Praying that Mary likes her new home...and for you...may the Spirit encourage you and fill you with love :)

P

Powemm

Praying in agreement . god bless you !